Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I got a chance to grap a few quick shots, looks really good,focus is dead on. I will post when Iget a chance to do it right.

01-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #17

I just started getting serious about DSLRs in the past few months and currently using a Nikon D3100. After reading reviews of the K-r, I wondered if that would not be a better fit for me as an entry level camera. Just received the K-r today and I must say, I'm already impressed. It will take me a bit to get use to finding the functions and buttons, but the overall camera feels more responsive. From the quick comparisons I've done between the two (just shooting silly objects around the house), I think the K-r does better. The only thing I wish it had compared to the D3100 is a back rubber grip for your thumb.

Will continue to play with the K-r, but for now, I need to recharge the battery! :-)
01-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnseenLlama Quote
I just started getting serious about DSLRs in the past few months and currently using a Nikon D3100. After reading reviews of the K-r, I wondered if that would not be a better fit for me as an entry level camera. Just received the K-r today and I must say, I'm already impressed. It will take me a bit to get use to finding the functions and buttons, but the overall camera feels more responsive. From the quick comparisons I've done between the two (just shooting silly objects around the house), I think the K-r does better. The only thing I wish it had compared to the D3100 is a back rubber grip for your thumb.

Will continue to play with the K-r, but for now, I need to recharge the battery! :-)
k-r is a midrange camera (even though it replaces the entry level K-X) D3100 is a pure entry level (nikon made sure of that, I'm not sure if it even has a built in focus motor).

I would never touch a nikon unless it's their high end range... i just feel they cheapen the entry level alot more than any other brand.
01-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
k-r is a midrange camera (even though it replaces the entry level K-X) D3100 is a pure entry level (nikon made sure of that, I'm not sure if it even has a built in focus motor).

I would never touch a nikon unless it's their high end range... i just feel they cheapen the entry level alot more than any other brand.
You are correct, the D3100 does not have a built-in focus motor so it will only work with the newer Nikon lens. I only have the 35mm f1.8 and the 18-105mm lens that I use and am fairly happy with them.

When I ordered the K-r, I was sure to get the 35mm f2.4 and have just ordered the 18-135mm so the setup should be similar to the D3100. I'm just a casual photographer, mostly taking pictures around the house and whatever event we are going to. My wife and I will be visiting the Titanic museum here in Indy tomorrow, so I'll be able to hopefully get some good pictures with the K-r.

01-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnseenLlama Quote
You are correct, the D3100 does not have a built-in focus motor so it will only work with the newer Nikon lens. I only have the 35mm f1.8 and the 18-105mm lens that I use and am fairly happy with them.

When I ordered the K-r, I was sure to get the 35mm f2.4 and have just ordered the 18-135mm so the setup should be similar to the D3100. I'm just a casual photographer, mostly taking pictures around the house and whatever event we are going to. My wife and I will be visiting the Titanic museum here in Indy tomorrow, so I'll be able to hopefully get some good pictures with the K-r.
yep, nikon really kill their consumer with the entry level DSLR. does pentax have a faster 35mm? sony line has the 35mm 1.4 and 1.8 which is nice, I'm sure pentax should have something similar, they're well known for their prime lineup. i would try to go for the 18-70 f/2.8 from tamron or sigma VS the 18-135... less range but faster speed overall, much more convenient especially for night shooting.