Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
torpesco, thanks for the input on the K-r. What bothers me is that I didn't have this issue with the K20. I'm taking a wild guess that the larger VF to accommodate the prism of the K20 also allowed a different kind of data-line display? If I work up the enthusiasm I'll try to get some response from Hoya/Pentax
Edit: I just did a quick search and it seems this isn't unique to Pentax and is a recurrent problem that shows up on different models with different brands, in this case going back to Canon in 2006 (and I'm sure there are others, but that's enough for an example).
Brian

01-14-2011, 01:01 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
torpesco, thanks for the input on the K-r. What bothers me is that I didn't have this issue with the K20. I'm taking a wild guess that the larger VF to accommodate the prism of the K20 also allowed a different kind of data-line display? If I work up the enthusiasm I'll try to get some response from Hoya/Pentax
I can compare K-20D and K-x and K-r, have them all three here. VF data display is the same on all, K-x and K-r look exactly the same. K-20 has more magnification, so the dataline appears a bit larger. Also the K-20 viewfinder image appears to be a bit brighter (pentaprism vs. pentamirror).

Have you tried the viewfinder magnifer O-ME53? This could be the solution.

Last edited by dragra; 01-14-2011 at 04:51 AM.
01-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
one and all, Pentax has responded to my inquiry about this issue:
We have not heard from Pentax Japan of any plans to introduce a firmware update for any of the current model DSLRs that would address the brightness of the data line in the cameras' viewfinder. As with any optical viewfinder when shooting in bright light it is important to make sure you don't let any ambient light leak in around the eyecup.
Brian
01-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
one and all, Pentax has responded to my inquiry about this issue:
We have not heard from Pentax Japan of any plans to introduce a firmware update for any of the current model DSLRs that would address the brightness of the data line in the cameras' viewfinder. As with any optical viewfinder when shooting in bright light it is important to make sure you don't let any ambient light leak in around the eyecup.
Brian
A firmware updade can't make the viewfinder LED glow more bright, because it is already at the max level. The only thing that would help were new superbright LED display, but this likely will not happen in the future.

Try O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier, maybe it should do the trick.

01-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The magnifier could be a good solution to the OP, or a more significant eye cup than the one provided with the camera (since it was indicated in another thread you just started that you wear glasses).
01-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
pxpaulx, well the solution would be a lot easier under two conditions: one, if the problem is light entering around the VF eyepiece that is "dimming" the data-line; two, if this were a Canon or Nikon that can use the Hoodman eyeglasses attachment. It's probably the former, but obviously not the latter.
Brian
01-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #22
Forum Member

Depending on how things look this summer, I may seek out a deeper eye cup. Can't reproduce the conditions I experienced at the moment, since that was on vacation. I generally wasn't bothered by it... but then, I'd had the camera less than a week at the start of the trip and was still getting used to everything.
01-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
torpesco, I hear from another poster in the Troubleshooting forum that the Olympus e-series VF accessories will fit Pentax, such as the Olympus Large Eyecup (AS-EP6 W). As I mentioned earlier, the much larger Hoodman oversize eyecup seems like the best solution but it only comes in Nikon/Canon, although it might be adaptable,
Brian

01-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe there's a simple solution that eluded me. Left-eye shooting?
Brian
01-18-2011, 11:55 PM   #25
Forum Member

torpesco, I hear from another poster in the Troubleshooting forum that the Olympus e-series VF accessories will fit Pentax, such as the Olympus Large Eyecup (AS-EP6 W). As I mentioned earlier, the much larger Hoodman oversize eyecup seems like the best solution but it only comes in Nikon/Canon, although it might be adaptable,
Brian
Good to know, thanks.

I'll have to try the left-eye thing, too.