Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #1

My KR Saga (So Far)

I have been hemming and hawing over upgrading my K100d since the KR/K5 were announced. Finally, after much teeth gnashing, I decided I would pull the trigger on the KR when the price seemed right.

The other day I saw one on Amazon Warehouse Deals for $766, with the 18-55 and 55-300. I did some quick math, figuring I could sell those (superfluous) lenses and bring the total cost to me down to $500-$550 or so. I pulled the trigger.

It arrived yesterday.

First impression: its small. Significantly smaller than the K100d. Second impression: the battery is taking forever to charge. Third impression: this is clearly a returned unit, as everything has obviously been opened before.

Fourth impression: it has that lovely/sickening new electronics smell.

Fifth impression: THIS REAR E-DIAL IS BUSTED! NO!

Sixth impression: the shutter is way quieter than my K100d.

Impressions 7-11: the autofocus is freaky fast. I don't miss the top LCD at all. It sure does take a long time to switch between shooting modes -- how annoying. There are zillions upon zillions of new submenus.

Twelfth impression: this thing is not nearly as comfortable to hold and shoot as my K100d.

Thirteenth impression: I am sad I have to return it.

Impressions over, I debated for all of 38 seconds about whether my brief experience with the KR was enough to convince me to try another unit.

So this morning I ordered another one, from Abes of Maine (body only) for $581. Hopefully its edial works correctly.

So far, it seems the KR is better in every way than the K100d, with the notable exception of comfort (and the lag when switching shooting modes). The K100d was *just* enough bigger to feel perfect in my hand. Its a downside I can live with.

Can't wait for my replacement to arrive!

01-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I had two faulty units from one retailer before I got a good one from a diff vendor. Early batch must have been bad.

I love my K-r, it does have a small issue with AF under tungsten but that aside it is one hell of a camera.
01-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
I had two faulty units from one retailer before I got a good one from a diff vendor. Early batch must have been bad.

I love my K-r, it does have a small issue with AF under tungsten but that aside it is one hell of a camera.
My K-r has just one minor issue, but besides that I really like it a lot. When I turn in off and stuff it away in a bag it starts talking, something like "get me outa here!" and "pick me up and shoot!" and similar stuff. I got used to it.
01-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The lag you are refering to between modes...is that the when the rear screen shows the new mode? If so, that can be turned off. I have had nothing but good experiences with amazon's warehouse deals - I wouldn't necessarily put the broken camera on them, but maybe the returner who didn't inform them it was broken (though they easily could have tested by turning it on only and obviously not noticed a non-functioning rear dial as well).

01-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
The lag you are refering to between modes...is that the when the rear screen shows the new mode? If so, that can be turned off. I have had nothing but good experiences with amazon's warehouse deals - I wouldn't necessarily put the broken camera on them, but maybe the returner who didn't inform them it was broken (though they easily could have tested by turning it on only and obviously not noticed a non-functioning rear dial as well).
without me needing to consult the manual (god forbid) is it just a menu option to get rid of the mode display?
01-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The_Reasonable_Man Quote
... Twelfth impression: this thing is not nearly as comfortable to hold and shoot as my K100d...
The KR feels perfect for my fat thumbs and skinny fingers. I've never held a K100D but I can't imagine it being any better (for me). The rubberized KR grip is just the right size and texture. It's been cold outside and I can maintain a firm one-handed grip on the camera while wearing thin gloves.

Someone with much larger hands might find the KR a bit too small, though.
01-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

without me needing to consult the manual (god forbid) is it just a menu option to get rid of the mode display?

I hate manuals too but ..... download it as a pdf and then it's ALWAYS at hand and SEARCHABLE !!
01-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I hate manuals too but ..... download it as a pdf and then it's ALWAYS at hand and SEARCHABLE !!
I found it in the menu

01-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #9

Original Poster
Got my replacement. E-dial works great. Reluctantly, I did a quick and dirty test of the FF/Tungsten light issue. Sho enough, its there. But dialing in -10 gets it to acceptable. Focus is spot on in daylight (which is 90% of my shooting), so who cares.

Now, I just need to mess with my jpeg settings in an attempt to get close to the glorious files my K100d churned out with the 40 Limited.
01-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

nope, he had a returned camera, amazon must not have inspect this thing carefully enough...

as the matter of fact, there's no way to inspect a camera 100% unless you take about 100 shot in different situation, pop it on to the computer, check around ect... I'm pretty sure amazon doesn't pay their staff enough to go through all that.

the k-r is sick though, I get to play with it in the store... i like it alot, but it's stepping into the 600 zone for the body which I think is a little too much, 500 is just about right.
01-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The_Reasonable_Man Quote
Got my replacement. E-dial works great. Reluctantly, I did a quick and dirty test of the FF/Tungsten light issue. Sho enough, its there. But dialing in -10 gets it to acceptable. Focus is spot on in daylight (which is 90% of my shooting), so who cares.

Now, I just need to mess with my jpeg settings in an attempt to get close to the glorious files my K100d churned out with the 40 Limited.
Welcome to the fun side of life! I am sure you will be able to get very close to those SOOC JPGs that the old camera produced. K-r gives you more control over the JPG that the previous Pentax bodies.

cheers,
d
01-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
as the matter of fact, there's no way to inspect a camera 100% unless you take about 100 shot in different situation, pop it on to the computer, check around ect... I'm pretty sure amazon doesn't pay their staff enough to go through all that.
Sorry, 'we' don't pay amazon enough is a better statement.

100 testshots + analysis equals how many hours of work ? Multiply by hourly rate and there you go; 200$, 300$ or whatever? Add that to the sales price and ...