Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Forum Member

Firmware Update How to put BIN file on card

I'm no computer science major so how do you put the bin file on the cameras memory card at the root directory. I have a Mac computer. Do you just plug the camera in with the usb cord and have at it ?

01-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should be able to do just that. Either that or use a card reader.

Be sure to follow the instructions To the Letter (make sure your batteries are fully charged)

01-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
What are the ramifications of not following the instructions to the letter ?

Can the camera be sent in to Japan for this modification?
do you have the address.

Regards,
01-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Inactive Account

There are two things that can go wrong.

1, it simply won't work which means, Usually, you put the BIN file in the wrong place on the card or it's the wrong file. As long as the file is in the root directory of the card (you'll be looking at the BIN file as well as (possibly) the DCIM directory) and is the proper file, shouldn't be any problems.

2, The firmware update will fail due to camera shutdown during the process. In this case, you have a pretty (insert color here) brick. This will require a trip to Pentax Service (Arizona) to correct, at your expense.

There is a third possibility but it is rare and that is the camera will simply hang up during the process. This will force you to shut it down and may or may not have the problem described in 2. In this case, pentax may repair it at no cost. It Has happened to others here before.

The part of the instructions I urge you to follow to the letter is to make sure the batteries are fully charged (or fresh batteries).

No, I would not send the camera to Japan for an update of firmware. It'll cost you easily $50+, plus the service call, and you'll be without your camera for a month or more.

When you start the update, you will see 3 things happen. A progress bar will show on the rear screen that says Phase 1/2. Leave the camera alone at this point and just let it do it's thing. After about 60 or so seconds, you'll see Phase 2/2. This will take longer than phase 1 but Still, Do Not Touch The Camera. 90-120 seconds after Phase 2 starts, the update should be finished. The screen will show Completed and the Red card access light (near the card slot) will blink. Turn the camera off at this point, your firmware has successfully installed. Now remove the bin file from the card as it is no longer needed.

01-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff,

I'll see if I can return this for a new model. I recently purchased it at B&H and if I act quickly enough I may be able to off it.

I'll report back with their answer.

Regards
01-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Musicale Quote
Thanks Jeff,

I'll see if I can return this for a new model. I recently purchased it at B&H and if I act quickly enough I may be able to off it.

I'll report back with their answer.

Regards

Why would you want to return it? I thought you just wanted to update the firmware. Did I miss something? If the firmware is the case, any camera you buy, new, is going to need the update.

01-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I sent customer service at B&H a email requesting advice on the return of the defective camera. I expect them to respond tomorrow before the Sedar. I will let the forum know of the options. It seems that the camera works because it is able to capture images, however I do not know their quality. To play it safe, and within the alloted return policy time frame (JANUARY 17TH) I should be OK.

Do you have a recommendation for a replacement, perhaps the K-5 ?

01-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Well, now I am Really confused.

This is what the firmware update buys you

* Compatible with SDXC memory card.
(* Transfer rate is not compatible with UHS speed class.)
* All ISO sensitivity setting can be used on Bulb mode.
* Improved functional sequence for Contrast AF and improved total speed until in focus.

Unless you are wanting to use an SDXC card or want to boost ISO above 1600 in B mode (that's it's natural limit on the K5), or are having problems with Auto Focus, there is no real need to update the firmware and none of these is going to improve your photos. That'll take some practice, with Any camera.

Yes, I think the K5 is a great camera. It is also still a $1400+ camera however, AND will need Firmware updates to bring it to the latest versions.

Good luck with whatever you're trying to do.

01-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hello Jeff,

I checked the Kr and sure enough it's the older version 1.00. The newer model is 1.01 so I know that I have a bad unit. There is a Pentax repair center here near Bensenville, Il and I may be able to get it repaired there. I'll call them tomorrow and I'll also report that result back so that anyone else in this predicament may be helped. Being a long time Pentax user (1965) I hope to help those newcomers with my experience.

Kindest Regards,
Jim Svarz
01-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

A firmware update does not equal a defect. "Firmware" is term used to describe software that's built-into an electronic product (cameras, cell phones, etc.). If you are technology averse, it's your call to bring it in for service to get firmware updated, but it's not really a "repair".
01-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #11

I think you are misunderstanding what a firmware update is. A new firmware is not put out to fix broken cameras. It is to update the camera, sometimes giving new features and/or improvements.

Your camera is not broken. Actually, most (if not all) K-r's on the market will be 1.00 right now anyway.

Even if you get a K-5, you'll most likely have to update the firmware.