Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2011, 05:57 AM   #31
Banned

Original Poster
I just asked my money back from the Pentax RO representative, because they didn't replace my camera (anyway, another would have the same issue). As far as they know, a solution wasn't found.
I'll give a chance of 3-4 weeks to Pentax to solve the FF issue, then I'll buy a 550D. I like the Kr, but without FF.

Last edited by ursamajor; 02-16-2011 at 07:01 AM.
02-16-2011, 08:05 AM   #32
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
Unfortunatelly, it was too nice to be true...

Front focus issue, in tests/real life photos.

Tungsten:

Even daylight:
If I had portrait pictures like that, I would be satisfied. That's just me though.
02-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #33
Banned

Original Poster
Indeed, but what you don't know is that I focused on the other (OOF) eye. For me it's intolerable. I can permit other "malfunctions", but not severe AF problems.
02-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I'll give a chance of 3-4 weeks to Pentax to solve the FF issue, then I'll buy a 550D. I like the Kr, but without FF.
That would surely be a retrograde step IMhO, the 600D (or better yet, 60D) have the right goods in comparison to the now aged 550D.
Although I can see your point, are you expecting the new 600D presence on the market to force 550D prices more in your favour?

I sometimes regret not waiting for the A580, can see great value and potential there and it should help propel Sony up the ladder a bit more if it has no silly faults.

.R.

02-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #35
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Although I can see your point, are you expecting the new 600D presence on the market to force 550D prices more in your favour?
IMHO, I believe that the more noticeable upgrade of the 600D is his benefic influence in the decrease of the price of 550D. A 60D I cannot buy, it's too expensive for me, but I could buy a second hand 50D, a very good camera.
For now, I'll wait up to a month the resolution of the FF issue from Pentax. Paradoxically, I really like the camera. This is the reason for giving it a chance.
03-13-2011, 05:33 AM   #36
Banned

Original Poster
After my unpleasant experience with the Kr and after the firmware update of K5 who solved just partially the ff problem (probably, the same way will be to Kr), I decided to buy a Canon 550D (Rebel T2i). I did it today, from a local electronics hypermarket. I tested it there and at home. Obviously, no ff/bf issues (even in low tungsten light). All is how it must be.
Now, about Pentax: pity, the cameras are better built than Canon's, but the functionallity is... far away from Canon. If they don't create a competitive AF system and they don't improve the quality control, they will not have the chance to be a big photo company.
Like I said, I'm not the fanboy of any brand, but I can discern between a serious company and a not serious one. Unfortunatelly, Pentax IS one of these.

PS: I'll still watch to see if Pentax will fix something of Kr's issues, but I'm very, very skeptical.
PPS: now I can take pictures to my daughter without the fear that her eyes will be blurry.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 550D  Photo 

Last edited by ursamajor; 03-13-2011 at 06:53 AM.
03-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #37
Banned

Original Poster
Doggie, doggie...

Attached Images

03-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Like I said, I'm not the fanboy of any brand, but I can discern between a serious company and a not serious one. Unfortunatelly, Pentax IS one of these.

PS: I'll still watch to see if Pentax will fix something of Kr's issues, but I'm very, very skeptical.
PPS: now I can take pictures to my daughter without the fear that her eyes will be blurry.
That's an excellent image ursa. I'm sure your new camera will easily live up to its claims for you, the 550D is very high respected in the real world with a great track record -- huge range of affordable accessories too.

One question though; I don't believe Canon would make such a silly mistake like below in their Exif metadata [and FastStone Viewer certainly doesn't, and I don't think MS Photo Viewer would have any clandestine motive either]; so what erroneous bastardisation would have caused it, a crop factor of 8 doesn't make sense in any DLSR/APS-C world?

Ref: "View picture Exif"

Focal Length
18.0mm (35mm equivalent: 143mm)

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 03-13-2011 at 11:58 AM.
03-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #39
Banned

Original Poster
Commencing with the final: I've no idea why that error appears. I just edited the photo with PhotoFiltre Studio X, a very good software.

And thank you for your words. It's not so hard for me to be pleased. If Kr had a good AF system, now I was a pentaxian. Yes, 550D is a good camera, especially for my hobby, the astrophoto/film. The Movie Crop feature is astonishing.

PS: look another picture (50mm, f/1.8@3.2). Maybe the Exif is modified by the forum. By the way, with Kr I didn't even dream to take a picture like this.

PS: I stop now my pleading, because I don't want to disturb some people with blinders.
Attached Images

Last edited by ursamajor; 03-13-2011 at 12:13 PM.
03-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #40
Inactive Account

Those are some nice shots, ursamajor... though they do seem a bit soft.
Nothing my k-r can't do, though, and I'm sure many other k-r owners can say the same.
Sorry yours didn't work out, but many others are not having the same problem (or at least not to the same degree).
I almost bought a 550D, but then I saw the k-r... don't regret it one bit.
Anyway, hopefully you will stop bashing the k-r now, and go take some pictures.
03-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #41
Banned

Original Poster
"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept" - H. Cartier Bresson

Corect focus isn't. I don't know the settings of the forum concerning the (re)compression. You can see the sharpest picture HERE.
Enjoy your Kr, me and many others couldn't. I really hope you'll have a good firmware fix, but, sincerelly, I doubt it.

QuoteOriginally posted by photochimp Quote
Anyway, hopefully you will stop bashing the k-r now...
The Kr, yes, maybe not, but Pentax for sure... Could help the others who want real good cameras.

Last edited by ursamajor; 03-13-2011 at 09:24 PM.
03-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #42
Pentaxian

da se pohvalim,prodao k-x i kupio i postao ponosni vlasnik k-r,imam i ja problema sa ff (jako loše u odnosu na k-x),u af fino podešavanje stavio sam na -10 i čini mi se da je sada u redu,kada če firmware koji če to ispraviti