Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2011, 05:37 AM   #1
Banned

New K-r user

My K-r is arrived. It's nice and looks great. I have the white kit.
All is very detailed and clear in the menu/settings them-selves, but I have a problem. I can't change the minimum ISO under 400. If I choose expanded sensitivity, I have minimum ISO 200, not 100. I read the manual, but still I don't know how. Can you help me? I have fw 1.00. Maybe a fw issue?

Attached Images

Last edited by ursamajor; 01-14-2011 at 05:44 AM.
01-14-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's likely you have highlight correction 'on'.
Turn it off, and the ISO range will return to normal.
And enjoy shooting with your fine little camera.
01-14-2011, 06:32 AM   #3

What he said.

Ey!, same color as mine
01-14-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It's likely you have highlight correction 'on'.
Turn it off, and the ISO range will return to normal.
And enjoy shooting with your fine little camera.
Yes, this is the answer. Thanks. Until the approval of the topic, I called the Pentax's dealer and they said me the same.

Yes, my friend, white, I wanted this color, not to be different, but because I really like it. I like too the silver and golden versions. I don't know if that versions are available at the producer, but I like it.

Look, my K-r won the "battle" with Canon.

Attached Images

Last edited by ursamajor; 01-14-2011 at 07:28 AM.
01-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
Forum Member

I had the same question. Glad I found this before posting a new topic. Thanks Ash.
01-15-2011, 01:42 AM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
Terrified by the focus Kr-related complaints, I performed an AF test with mine. What do you see is the result at 0 AF adjustement (100% crop). I believe that all is OK, isn't it? What do you think about?
PS: Focal 55mm / f5.6, with kit lens.
PPS: How can I turn off the display, because it stays turned on until I take a photo? Only if I press 2 times INFO botton it turns off.
Attached Images

Last edited by ursamajor; 01-15-2011 at 03:24 AM.
01-15-2011, 06:03 AM   #7

it looks like a little front focus, but if you intend to use only the kit lens, you are ok.
01-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
Yes, maybe 1/2 mm.

01-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

That doesn't look like a great test page - a little too complicated for AF to be certain you focused on the target. Also are you sure you took this at the right angle (45 degrees) ?
01-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
Banned

Original Poster
Indeed, I guess you're right. The page was printed with a HP printer set to normal quality, on a A4 writing paper. I don't have an original focus chart. Yes, the test page was inclined to about 45 degrees.
Supposing I have front focus, which are the steps to fix the problem? Both, the body and lens are calibrate?
01-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Don't rely on this test to try to correct any FF/BF issues. Find a suitable brick wall or some other textured surface that has some contrast to it and shoot from -10 to +10, manually changing the focus between shots so the camera has to find focus in between each shot. Set yourself up a reasonable distance (8-10 feet?) and perpendicular from the wall and use a mid-zoom focal length. Choose the setting that gives the sharpest result.

Ad hoc tests using charts at very close range or with the zoom at min or max won't necessarily give you an accurate result that works over a range of shooting conditions. No one really knows for certain where the focus points (really focus zones) are in the viewfinder and its easy to assume it found the heavy line in the focus chart. And with such shallow depth of field, even a few degrees of error to the required 45 degree angle can change the results.
01-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It's not possible to test focus accuracy with the kit lens. You need a fast lens like the FA 50 f/1.4.

If you're just shooting with the kit lens enjoy your camera and take some pictures.
01-16-2011, 01:45 AM   #13
Banned

Original Poster
I don't necessarily agree this opinion, because the tandem composed from the kit lens (18-55 mkII, without IS) + my 5 years old 350D (now sold) has an impressive accuracy (despite those who say that 18-55 kit lens Canon is bad).
DonP said, instead, a really important true: you must know how the AF sensors works, to have a good focus.
The annoying part that I found at Pentax is not the stable front/back focus, but the bad accuracy: if I'll focus same point three times consecutively, I'll have three different results. THAT IS a problem and I understand now the urban myths about the focus problems of Pentax.
01-16-2011, 02:47 AM   #14

I would say that the FF can be seen even with the kit lens. Though it is not that easy to see, but can be seen when using test chart.

As for the accuracy, I've taken a huge amount to test pictures from the test chart and other objects. Based on these shots I would say that the focus is very consistent, but has that annoying FF in warm light. Yesterday morning I took pictures of the test chart, both in the southern window light and in northern window light using exactly same position and settings. When lit by a warm light from the rising sun the focus was off, but in the colder reflected light from the north side the focus was spot on. Even in a pitch-dark room without windows and lights K-r focuses better, actually very well, than in warm light.

For some reason the energy saving lamps that are sold here in Finland are around 2500K which makes K-r a bit unhappy. At least we only have those. I'll guess that I have to go and buy some lighting gear.
01-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #15
Banned

Original Poster
Yes, I agree. Anyway, the kit lens is very soft at 55mm, f/5.6 and can confuse a lot of users.
It's incredible how sharp can be the image closing the aperture to 7.1 or 8. Not just DoF is bigger, but the sharpness. I tested it thanks to the eyes of my daughter.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo