Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2011, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-r nightclub photography II

hi, Last week I bougth the kr and had first gig in the nightclub photohraphy.. yet.. I did not know a thing about night club photography.. so during all this week I studied. how to photograph nightclub life.

last time I used settings like ISO 2500-32000 shutter speed 1/80.
got some decent compositions, but not much light got into the photos, and they were mediocre.

this time I used other settings - ISO 640-800 shutter speed 1/8-1/20
the results are different. Not that I like them much.. but this time, more light got into the camera and the club atmosphere was better.

however I experienced more blur than I wanted to have, also more various light fringe on people

however last time there were many beautiful women, and this time many drunk men.
so it balances negatively.

out of 180 I have 60 keepers, which I'll hand in.

here are some of the results I got..

another point I want to make is, in the very end I tried to use My flash off camera via pentax wireless flash feature. I was surprised that all of my several times the flash fired not at some strobe but after my camera command.! +1 for pentax.

any C&C are extremely welcomed and appreciated.

and on these two I used wireless flash..

01-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #2

I can imagine with all the changing lights how difficult it must have been to take good photos!

You have some really nice shots here! I especially like the one with the bartender holding the drink. What lens were you using for this?
01-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd say, given the difficult lighting situation, you got quite a good number of keepers--and the ones posted here are genuinely excellent shots.
01-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Sigmos blikste?

01-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
last time I used settings like ISO 2500-32000 shutter speed 1/80.
got some decent compositions, but not much light got into the photos, and they were mediocre.

this time I used other settings - ISO 640-800 shutter speed 1/8-1/20
the results are different. Not that I like them much.. but this time, more light got into the camera and the club atmosphere was better.

however I experienced more blur than I wanted to have, also more various light fringe on people

another point I want to make is, in the very end I tried to use My flash off camera via pentax wireless flash feature. I was surprised that all of my several times the flash fired not at some strobe but after my camera command.! +1 for pentax.

and on these two I used wireless flash..
I think you did a great job, and wouldn't worry too much about the blur and light fringe, thats part of the scene.

There was a great post on the field accessories forum about flash speeds, the fact that higher flash speeds up to 1/180 will result in darker blacker ambient and slower flash speeds increasing the effect of ambient light and background in your image. I think thats what your initial comment is in reference to, at least for those pics with flash.

Also, if you look in your manual about "slow flash" options, at least for my K20, the manual explains that when slow flash is selected in the function menu, that the camera is forced to use slower shutters to bring in the ambient light (while the flash itself captures the active foreground)

Thanks for sharing the pics, they are great!
01-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #6

You did a pretty good job of it. Better than most nightlife pix I've seen really.

Shooting in nightclubs is extremely difficult, even in the best of circumstances! The lighting constantly changes, or there's no light to speak of in the first place, which can wreck havoc on a auto-focus system.

Also, I think you were fortunate that the club was pretty well lit, or so it seems. A lot of the clubs I snap in are damned near pitch black! However, when it's like that, I use it anyway, as I see no point in trying to force a situation. And, sometimes the raw, grainy feel of the pix, resulting from having to use extremely high ISOs, can work for an artistic standpoint, even if the pix aren't what one would deem technically great. Then again, my style tends to be something like Terry Richardson on acid!

Last edited by 1 Snap Music!; 01-15-2011 at 01:38 PM.
01-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UnseenLlama Quote
I can imagine with all the changing lights how difficult it must have been to take good photos!

You have some really nice shots here! I especially like the one with the bartender holding the drink. What lens were you using for this?
that's true last time when I went to the club I was too confident that i'll make great pice, yet was very dissapointed, when it turned out, that I did not do anything spectacular but contrary, dark picuters, little club atmosphere. minimum colorful lights, but the client gave me the second chance. so I studied.

the lens mainly used was my sigma 17-70mm and some few shots with Pentax 12-24mm.

thanks for comment.

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I'd say, given the difficult lighting situation, you got quite a good number of keepers--and the ones posted here are genuinely excellent shots.
well.. there's always space for improvement. thanks for comment.

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Sigmos blikste?
Blykste pentaxine, AF540gz

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I think you did a great job, and wouldn't worry too much about the blur and light fringe, thats part of the scene.

There was a great post on the field accessories forum about flash speeds, the fact that higher flash speeds up to 1/180 will result in darker blacker ambient and slower flash speeds increasing the effect of ambient light and background in your image. I think thats what your initial comment is in reference to, at least for those pics with flash.

Also, if you look in your manual about "slow flash" options, at least for my K20, the manual explains that when slow flash is selected in the function menu, that the camera is forced to use slower shutters to bring in the ambient light (while the flash itself captures the active foreground)

Thanks for sharing the pics, they are great!

I was in Manual mode both in Camera and in Flash.
flash was set to 1/16-1/32 power.

yet it's not clear about back trailing curtain, I wanted to use it, but it was unclear.

will camera use it if I set that function on camera? or I need to set it also on the flash? or both? but did not get the desired effect, so put it on simple mode.

thanks for comment philboum, appreciate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by 1 Snap Music! Quote
You did a pretty good job of it. Better than most nightlife pix I've seen really.

Shooting in nightclubs is extremely difficult, even in the best of circumstances! The lighting constantly changes, or there's no light to speak of in the first place, which can reek havoc on a auto-focus system.
yes, the focusing is one of the difficult area to work with in the night club, moreover, the viewfinder on the kr is not so big, even I have a 1.0x magnificaiton glass installed, it's difficult to clearly see and frame pictures..
but i'm triyng. thanks for comment.
01-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #8

Hey Mystic, great to see those shots you've posted. All things considered i think you've done very well. Not bad for someone who thought twice about getting the K-r!

woody

01-16-2011, 04:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Love it! You captured the atmosphere much better this time. Nice colors and some good angles. Wouldn't worry too much about the blur, it just adds to the feel, IMO.
01-16-2011, 05:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
Hey Mystic, great to see those shots you've posted. All things considered i think you've done very well. Not bad for someone who thought twice about getting the K-r!

woody
thanks for posting ukwoody, but
What do you mean "Not bad for someone who thought twice about getting the K-r!"??

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
Love it! You captured the atmosphere much better this time. Nice colors and some good angles. Wouldn't worry too much about the blur, it just adds to the feel, IMO.
thanks for your encouragement