Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Thanks for that, GrinMode. I love when our "beloved" Canikonites have issues. =)

Also, I hate that this thread has drifted into a big-name vs. discount retailer debate, but I called Tri-State this morning, and they assure me that this is not a gray-market item.
Welcome. Although no need to gloat at other brands miseries :-). We all have our problems.

FWIW, I witnessed a friend's 1000D give up on a very low light tungsten scene. My DS locked focus, but it was terribly ff it was useless.

This is a tech limit that at the moment can only be solved by a secondary light sensor as with the K7/5. Though there are similar reports for the K-5, but I do not know for a k7.

If the Canon 7D does not have this 2nd sensor, and has the same ff issues in tungsten light, then I'm glad I did not spend that much on my gear :-)

01-24-2011, 05:27 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bigal1000 Quote
Too many people post comments and don't have clue what they are doing. I have a Kr the focus is dead on unless I do something wron,nuff said.
Really? Look at my photos... Focus was made on the right eye of my daughter, but the camera made it on the left eye. Concerning the AF diagrams... no comment!
IMHO, the problem is too annoying to be ignored.

01-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #18

Ursa you are now claiming basically yet another problem with the camera. Bearing in mind the right eye is nearest to the camera, you say it focussed on the left, well that is hardly FF is it? in fact after reading for weeks and weeks and the hundered/thousands of comments posted, I have never heard of an example where it focusses to the far left of an image.
I am going to be rude and suggest it was never focussed on the left eye in the first place.

woody
01-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #19
Banned

My friend, i said clearly: THE RIGHT EYE OF CHILD, not the right eye from photo. So, that means some centimetres FF, ie... big problem for me.
If my (sold now) Canon 350D (produced 5 years ago) can do the right focus in tungsten, I expect good, even better focus from a 2010 year camera. What do you think?

PS: Anyway, today I sent it back to the Pentax dealer. They know about the issue and they also know that the newer K-r (serial over 382xxxx) don't suffer this issue.

01-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got my K-r today! S/N 379xxxx and it indeed suffers from Tunsten FF. But honestly, it's such an insane improvement over the K10D in SO many ways, I think I can live with that for now. I have my AF adjust at -10, and my FA50 is soft at 1.4, but it's not crazy bad.
01-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
I am going to be rude and suggest it was never focussed on the left eye in the first place.

woody
I'm going to be rude and suggest you read the post before reacting to it. He said her right eye. Face south. Your right eye is the one to the west. If someone takes a picture of you, it doesn't make your right eye your left.
01-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Got my K-r today! S/N 379xxxx and it indeed suffers from Tunsten FF. But honestly, it's such an insane improvement over the K10D in SO many ways, I think I can live with that for now. I have my AF adjust at -10, and my FA50 is soft at 1.4, but it's not crazy bad.
Congratulations!

Yes, the front focus is an issue, but we keep talking about it because we have so few other complaints

01-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #23
Banned

Got my K-r today!
Yes, congratulations! Enjoy it!
01-25-2011, 01:47 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
Really? Look at my photos... Focus was made on the right eye of my daughter, but the camera made it on the left eye. Concerning the AF diagrams... no comment!
IMHO, the problem is too annoying to be ignored.
No, he did not say HER right eye, what he said was the right eye of my daughter. He doesn't say from who's persective he was talking about. Having just shown it to two colleagues without explaining any rational behind it, they both assumed he was talking about from the photographers point of view. So go back and read it again.
01-25-2011, 02:08 AM   #25
Banned

Go to sleep, my friend. HER right eye or my daughter's right eye designates the person, not the photo. WTF, I'm teaching you english, me, a romanian?
01-25-2011, 02:19 AM   #26

Having been up the majority of the night, that is precisely what I would like to do. Unfortunetly In two hours time I now have to drive over 70 miles (140 round trip), half of it along back roads, for a total waste of time "important" business appointment, on behalf of someone else!
So expect me to be even grouchier than my recent grouchy - and entirely out of character, placid self.
woody
01-25-2011, 02:27 AM   #27
Banned

It's your problem.
Anyway, you can download the photo from here, then download and install PhotoME, load the picture into it and see, you alone, where the AF was made. You'll be illuminated!
Have a nice day!

Last edited by ursamajor; 01-25-2011 at 02:49 AM.
01-25-2011, 03:57 AM   #28

Photos: Gallery
lavascript,

Great news that you received your K-r. Does the FF problem exist only when set to AWB and is not present when you set specifically to tungsten light?
01-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Got my K-r today! S/N 379xxxx and it indeed suffers from Tunsten FF. But honestly, ...
FYI: That struck me as quaint because my K-r, S/N 3894260, I'd purchased retail in Au on 2010-12-13, or 43 calendar days earlier.

Such is the idiosyncrasies of modern times global market distribution. (Which could easily confuse a lot of people how this could happen.)

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 01-25-2011 at 11:49 AM.
01-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ursamajor et al, just a quick comment that PhotoME doesn't work on Mac OS X or higher. For Mac, try something like Phil Harvey's List EXIF Metadata. It's much the same as the Windows based PhotoME.

Also, I just fired off a couple of shots with natural lighting and tungsten and I may not know what to look for with FF, but they sure look as though they have the same focus point (using the dependable AA battery test shot). My new K-r is in the 38XXXXX series, so maybe that matters. Or I have the 18-55 II and perhaps that makes a difference contrasted with the DA-L kit or the WR, of this is a sample variation "good" model, or I don't know what I'm doing so didn't set the "comparison" correctly, or I shot at 55mm and it only kicks in a 18mm, or I used the wrong type of "tungsten" or they had metal reflectors instead of a translucent lamp shade, or...

If I could/would afford a K-5 with a DA 16-50 would it be a superior kit? Probably. But for around $700 I don't think anything on the market can touch the K-r. So I reiterate an earlier post here: this is the best IQ out-of-the-box camera/lens I've ever used. I'd suggest if your (collective) K-r isn't working right when you get it, send it back if possible and get a new one because there's a lot of like here.
Brian

Last edited by FHPhotographer; 01-25-2011 at 12:21 PM.