Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-r is in my cart, but worried about AF

A new K-r body is in my cart, and I'm just a few clicks away from checking out. But I'm having second thoughts with this tungsten AF thing. One of the big reasons I'm wanting to upgrade my K10D is high-ISO noise and low-light AF. But if the AF is going to be as completely WRONG as I've seen in example pics here, then I'd be better off just drawing the scene instead of using a camera. I shoot a lot of photos of my kids in low tungsten light. I went back and forth on a Canon 60D, but ultimately decided on the K-r on the grounds of sheer image quality. Should I say screw it and grab the Canon? Or are the K-r claims overblown?

01-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
seems like many have forgotten what a lovely dslr the k-x is.... and now available at attractive prices..... iq is the name of the game imho.... and sure the af is not as quick as in the k-r, but it's not let me down to date..... there's not that much of a quantum leap in technology between the k-x and k-r..... save a few $$, invest in some primo glass, and you'll be off and running... you won't be sorry... dave m
01-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
A new K-r body is in my cart, and I'm just a few clicks away from checking out. But I'm having second thoughts with this tungsten AF thing. One of the big reasons I'm wanting to upgrade my K10D is high-ISO noise and low-light AF. But if the AF is going to be as completely WRONG as I've seen in example pics here, then I'd be better off just drawing the scene instead of using a camera. I shoot a lot of photos of my kids in low tungsten light. I went back and forth on a Canon 60D, but ultimately decided on the K-r on the grounds of sheer image quality. Should I say screw it and grab the Canon? Or are the K-r claims overblown?
the AF on the k-r was pretty good last time I test it with the kit lens, the WB in the store was correct too (not sure what kindda light they use at fry).

I would get the K-R over the 60D, not because of IQ because I never had a chance to play with the 60D, I know they're canon's mid range, I played with the XS, xt and didn't really like it as much as the k-r, and no IS built in is the deciding factor for me to not get canon as lens costs and prime (that doesn't have IS) would definitely effect IQ.
01-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Go ahead with your KR purchase.

Many of the posts about KR front focus (included a thread I started) are exaggerated with test scenarios to demonstrate the issue. Yes, the issue exists, but it is not as bad as the test photos many of us have posted. For practical purposes I found that manually changing white balance from "Auto" to "Tungsten" adequately resolves my concerns.

As you may already know, low light can be a challenge with *any* camera and kit zoom lens. Do not be disheartened and think your KR is to blame. Practice, learning how to pick the best ISO setting, and/or some post-processing can get good low light photos out of the basic KR lens.

01-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Go ahead with your KR purchase.

Many of the posts about KR front focus (included a thread I started) are exaggerated with test scenarios to demonstrate the issue. Yes, the issue exists, but it is not as bad as the test photos many of us have posted. For practical purposes I found that manually changing white balance from "Auto" to "Tungsten" adequately resolves my concerns.

As you may already know, low light can be a challenge with *any* camera and kit zoom lens. Do not be disheartened and think your KR is to blame. Practice, learning how to pick the best ISO setting, and/or some post-processing can get good low light photos out of the basic KR lens.
Well, I wasn't really looking to use the kit lens, I'm currently shooting a lot of low-light with the FA50 at f/1.4 and ISO1600. Even with that, I'm often at shutter speeds below 1/30, which I'd like to raise. So I was hoping to maybe get the K-r and run it at ISO6400, giving me 1/120-ish. But if everything's gonna be OOF, then what's the point?

But it's blown out of proportion? I guess my main question is, is this problem present on every model? Is it a bug or a feature? If it's only present on some, even if it's a majority, then I can return the first ten until I get one that's good. If it's every one, then my main reason for upgrading is its biggest flaw.

I should also mention that I never use AWB in this light, I sometimes go with tungsten, sometimes custom. Will that affect it?
01-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well... After a little more reading, especially in the thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/128351-there-any-perfect...using-k-r.html I did it. $609 from Tri State Camera, free shipping. i'm sure they'll call to hassle me telling me I must purchase a lens and a UV filter and a cleaning kit, but I'll deal with the hassle to save a few.

I'm still a little worried about the FF problem, but I'm more relaxed now. One possible issue is that I regularly take flash-illuminated shots that AF in tungsten light. I guess we'll just see how that goes.

Can't wait!
01-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well... After a little more reading, especially in the thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/128351-there-any-perfect...using-k-r.html I did it. $609 from Tri State Camera, free shipping. i'm sure they'll call to hassle me telling me I must purchase a lens and a UV filter and a cleaning kit, but I'll deal with the hassle to save a few.

I'm still a little worried about the FF problem, but I'm more relaxed now. One possible issue is that I regularly take flash-illuminated shots that AF in tungsten light. I guess we'll just see how that goes.

Can't wait!
dude, it's not the hasseling, if you don't buy the "extra" they'll just tell you we're out of stock (aka the bait and switch method), i would advice to go with amazon or adorama/b&h, there's no free meal .
01-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
dude, it's not the hasseling, if you don't buy the "extra" they'll just tell you we're out of stock (aka the bait and switch method), i would advice to go with amazon or adorama/b&h, there's no free meal .
No, there's no free lunch. I don't buy cameras very often. In fact, this K-r is only my fourth, starting in 2004. My purchases have been from 42nd Street, Butterfly, Abe's, and now Tri-State. If I recall, the only one that hassled me was Butterfly, but I never had any issues with B&S or anything else other than pushy salespeople.

Indeed, I had an email this morning to call Tri-State and when I did, the guy wasn't even really that pushy. He said "I see that you didn't buy any lenses, I assume this means you already have your lenses?" He also asked me about high-speed memory cards for the HD video, but did not push any filters, extra batteries, cleaning kits, or anything else on me. After about 60 seconds, he said, "Thank you, sir, we'll get this shipped out to you."

Now, it hasn't actually shipped, so there's still a chance of artificial delay, but I'm confident that it will be fine.

01-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

No, there's no free lunch. I don't buy cameras very often. In fact, this K-r is only my fourth, starting in 2004. My purchases have been from 42nd Street, Butterfly, Abe's, and now Tri-State. If I recall, the only one that hassled me was Butterfly, but I never had any issues with B&S or anything else other than pushy salespeople.

Indeed, I had an email this morning to call Tri-State and when I did, the guy wasn't even really that pushy. He said "I see that you didn't buy any lenses, I assume this means you already have your lenses?" He also asked me about high-speed memory cards for the HD video, but did not push any filters, extra batteries, cleaning kits, or anything else on me. After about 60 seconds, he said, "Thank you, sir, we'll get this shipped out to you."

Now, it hasn't actually shipped, so there's still a chance of artificial delay, but I'm confident that it will be fine.
i've never bought from them, but reviews for them is less than stellar, 600 for the body only isn't a super great deal, so I think it'll go through. but then again i wouldn't buy from smaller shops, it's just harder to deal with with things happen.
01-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #10

Go for it.

Click that button there nothing wrong with the Kr. Too many people post comments and don't have clue what they are doing. I have a Kr the focus is dead on unless I do something wron,nuff said.
01-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #11

Tri-states low prices are for Grey market,I bought from them once and got a non USA warranty,thats why the price id soo low.
01-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigal1000 Quote
Tri-states low prices are for Grey market,I bought from them once and got a non USA warranty,thats why the price id soo low.
Eek... Guess I need to check into that. Price wasn't "SO" low, it's only like $40 less than B&H.
01-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Eek... Guess I need to check into that. Price wasn't "SO" low, it's only like $40 less than B&H.
and that's why i think they'd ship out... the grey market stuff is an issue too haha... I'm all for low prices but not if I have to take a risk.
01-18-2011, 12:28 AM   #14

This tungsten focus issue has been around apparently

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/44949-poll-who-has...-lighting.html

And also apparently, not a Pentax problem alone

7D Focus shift under florescent/incandescent/day light - Canon Digital Photography Forums
01-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that, GrinMode. I love when our "beloved" Canikonites have issues. =)

Also, I hate that this thread has drifted into a big-name vs. discount retailer debate, but I called Tri-State this morning, and they assure me that this is not a gray-market item.