Forum Member

pentax kr best settings

Although I know people have different tastes
just wanted to see what the settings that are
been used on the Kr
Mine at the moment are factory settings
still gertting the feel now I want to explore more

01-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #2

i did the same, tried a lot of setting, but my final setting is actually very similar to default.

I enabled iso 100
Set iso steps as Ev steps
noise reduction: 800 off, 1600 weak
auto iso: 100 - 1600
auto WB: A+2
and the green button is now optical preview

im very happy with that

i tried fine sharpening, but promote noise a lot
01-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
Inactive Account

K-r Settings

Hi there. I've got a K-x and a friend has the K-r and we've been going back and forth a bit about this too lately. I've read allot on the forums trying to find similar info and haven't found allot. Prevailing advice is to try them all out whic is good advise - but I'm with you - I like also a little guidance and to hear what other folks are doing 8-) I find I can't notice huge differences in some settings. Here's what I have so far. (I'm no expert by the way)

It's similar to Sekul.

Also enabled iso 100
Also set iso steps as Ev steps
Steps themselves are set at 1/3 increments
noise reduction: Starts at 1600 - medium. I am not sure I notice that much difference from low - see overall comment below.
auto iso: 100 - 1600 (or switch to more if needed)
Slow Shutter speed ISO: off
auto WB
Focus Point: Centre
Metering: switch between matrix and centre
Autofucus:AF-S (single autofucus).
My green button is set to switch between JPEG and RAW. My wife doesnt' want to shoot in RAW.

I have highlight correction off and shadow correction on. My house is dimely lit. Not too sure how these features affect the image other than the obvious yet.

colour scheme (?): Vibrant but have contrast +1 and Fine Sharpness + 2 (recently). Also adjusted the saturation down by one. I love the Pentax vibrant colours but I find sometimes the colours can look a little too cartoonish (for my taste) if they are bright colours to begin with - especially pink (whic my 20 month old daughter wears allot of 8-)

Of course, this is just what I have set to try to capture most situations I usign the camera in. I also play around with things like ISO and metering.

Most of the time the camera is in Av mode.

As for my comment. Recently I did switch to the medium noise reduction level starting at ISO 1600 and also Fine Sharpening +2. However, my images do seem to have a bit more noise. Haven't had allot of time to do more testing but looks like Sekul is suggesting the FSharpening is sacrificing on the noise side. May just try going back to low noise reduction at 1600 and\or try regular sharpening or only +1.

Hope this helps.

D
03-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you so much! I am getting mine tomorrow and I did not want to spend so much time figuring out the settings so this is a great help!

03-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Sekul Quote
i did the same, tried a lot of setting, but my final setting is actually very similar to default.

I enabled iso 100
Set iso steps as Ev steps
noise reduction: 800 off, 1600 weak
auto iso: 100 - 1600
auto WB: A+2
and the green button is now optical preview

im very happy with that

i tried fine sharpening, but promote noise a lot
I wonder if setting Auto WB to +2 is a good idea? WB is dependent on the light color and auto WB selects it automatically. It's stands to reason then you're changing all your WB settings doesn't it?

Maybe I just don't understand.

I've started using custom white balance. I printed off a couple of shades of gray one @18% and the other at 12% and experimented in differing types of lighting.

I found that at 18% gray I get very realistic colors in all the lighting I've tested. I also found setting a custom WB takes only a few extra seconds.

I placed a white border around the gray so that I'm able to get an accurate focus and save it on my bag. I also saved it to the computer so that I can print it off again as needed.

It's pretty crude but works quite well.