Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
canon to K-r!

Just had to register to post a positive thread.

I went from a k100d Super to a Canon T1i to a K-r. After being with Canon for a year, I don't think I'll be leaving the Pentax side anytime soon. The K-r has been awesome so far. Getting a great shot in just about any condition has not been an issue. It reminds me a lot of my old k100d, which is a great thing. Still life, street candids, indoor candids, my nephews baseball games, it's been all great.

My K-r has once again made it easy to get great looking shots any time I shoot.

By the way, I bought the combo K-r, 18-55,50-200 kit from Amazon (serial number 3860xxx). I have not had any issues with focusing.

edit: Guess I should post my negatives as well to balance this out. There ARE some things I miss with the my old canon. The ability to tether was great, I didn't even bother to check if the K-r was capable (it isn't right?). I was impressed with the materials of the T1i body, it felt much more robust than either the k100d or the K-r. I also appreciated the availability of Canon gear in local shops. I haven't seen any Pentax dslr gear anywhere in Hawaii. I also miss the top lcd that was on the k100d Super, I thought it was useful.

Last edited by eight08; 01-17-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: added more opinions
01-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Uh, tethering is possible with some third party software, I believe. Search it here on the forum or Google and you'll get an answer.
01-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome back to Pentax and thanks for the positive input. It is always good to be realistic about a camera's positives and negatives. I still have my K100d Super, but considering an upgrade to K-5 or k-r (not sure which) later. I have viewed Pentax as very competitive with their model lines to similar from Canon and Nikon, and also a very great value. I hope Pentax continues to thrive and offer us consumers great features at a price we are happy to pay. Our family has had 5 Canon point-and-shoot models which have served us very well, so I view that brand favorably also. But for DSLR my heart (and minimal gear) remains in Pentaxland. Thanks. Glenn
01-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #4

Interesting...I thought most people praise Pentax for its build quality. And if you are coming back from the T1i, the top LCD shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, I had a K100d Super before too, but now I have a K-r and a DS. The funny thing is, the first thing I do when I turn on the DS is look at the big LCD and it takes me a second to remember that it doesn't show up there.

01-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hawk1500 Quote
but now I have a K-r and a DS
I'd be interesting as to how these two compare. As per above, I'm considering upgrade. Of course, all the hoopla is over the k-5, but when I look at specs, the k-r does just about everything I think I will need. Still, though, I'm hesitatant to upgrade from "entry" dslr to "entry" dslr, though they are generations apart. Any thoughts on your old k100D Super vs DS? Thanks. Glenn
01-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #6

I switched to a K-r from a Sony A230 and the difference in build quality, handling and picture quality is awesome! Focusing works just fine, even though it misses every once in a while in very dim light, just like any dslr.

The only negative thing is that Pentax has no cheap 50mm lens like Sony, Canon and Nikon.
01-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #7

I switch to k-r from canon 400d. For me it's huge upgrade in IQ, sharpness, ISO and many other features.

I second Stefan on lack of cheap 50mm and also 85/1.8 af lens.

Anyway I m quite happy with the performance of dal35 and k-r.

01-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan D Quote
The only negative thing is that Pentax has no cheap 50mm lens like Sony, Canon and Nikon.
Well, they used to have a $200 50mm, the FA50/1.4. Thanks a lot, PRICE HIKES.
01-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
I'd be interesting as to how these two compare. As per above, I'm considering upgrade. Of course, all the hoopla is over the k-5, but when I look at specs, the k-r does just about everything I think I will need. Still, though, I'm hesitatant to upgrade from "entry" dslr to "entry" dslr, though they are generations apart. Any thoughts on your old k100D Super vs DS? Thanks. Glenn
Well, I actually went from the K100d Super to the K200d, then K7, (and a DS in there somewhere a couple times), then a K-x and then the K10d and finally the K-r. Not sure if I can make a direct comparison from the Super to the DS...but I like the bigger viewfinder on the DS. As a matter of fact, to me anyway, the K100d and the DS are pretty similar. If only the DS had SR, it would be the perfect backup camera.

Having said that...the K-r is way faster in terms of AF, and the high ISO performance is pretty noticable. The missing top LCD I used to mind, but not so much anymore. Plus, the layout and menus are so much better in the newer generation Pentaxes now, it would definitely be worth it for you to upgrade from the Super to the K-r I would say.

I will probably buy the K-5 if it ever got down to ~$1200 or something, but I would probably then sell the K-r and keep the DS...
01-19-2011, 05:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks, hawk1500. Very useful information. At the present, I'll be waiting for a k-5 target price of about $1100. It may be possible to get there by year end. The main thing the k-5 is tempting me with over the k-r is the external controls thing, but that is mostly for quick operability. What you have stated is similar to what others have said about the k-r - that the interface for the menus is much better than it used to be. I don't think the k100d Super is all that bad, I do know how to navigate, but there are many times I wish I didn't have to look so much and scroll. I have wondered if the k-r's interface capabilities are so good that it almost gives the user as much quickness as the external controls of the k-5. I bet the answer is "probably not", but, still, I do wonder how close they are. My general approach is to make the next body upgrade a really significant one, but don't buy more features than what I'll really use. Thanks again. Glenn
01-19-2011, 11:45 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks, hawk1500. Very useful information. At the present, I'll be waiting for a k-5 target price of about $1100. It may be possible to get there by year end. The main thing the k-5 is tempting me with over the k-r is the external controls thing, but that is mostly for quick operability. What you have stated is similar to what others have said about the k-r - that the interface for the menus is much better than it used to be. I don't think the k100d Super is all that bad, I do know how to navigate, but there are many times I wish I didn't have to look so much and scroll. I have wondered if the k-r's interface capabilities are so good that it almost gives the user as much quickness as the external controls of the k-5. I bet the answer is "probably not", but, still, I do wonder how close they are. My general approach is to make the next body upgrade a really significant one, but don't buy more features than what I'll really use. Thanks again. Glenn
The external controls of the K5 was the main feature that I was most interested as well when I was narrowing down my search for a replacement. But the price difference in no way justified that one feature to me and my budget. Besides the top lcd of the k100d super, I also miss the external shake reduction switch... I thought that was quite handy.

Of course I would love all the quick access external controls, but in no way is the K-r's UI hard to use... I'm still totally happy with my camera.
01-20-2011, 06:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Glad to hear that you are very pleased with the unit. That gives me one more reference point as I evaluate the "marginal benefit vs marginal cost". The financial leap from k-r to k-5 is quite large.
01-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Glad to hear that you are very pleased with the unit. That gives me one more reference point as I evaluate the "marginal benefit vs marginal cost". The financial leap from k-r to k-5 is quite large.
I was exactly where you are at, a few days ago. It was K5 or bust. And then I considered whether I actually needed all the features of the K5, and decided I didn't. If I really want to go and shoot in dodgy weather, I can still use the K200d, and in the meantime I have bought the K-r, and have the DA15 on order, for less than the cost of the K5 body. I can afford another lens, too, just haven't decided which one... I think I made the right decision.
01-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #14

I also debated the KR / K5 decision recently. I finally decided the KR was a big enough jump from my K200d. I know from lurking on several forums, many people wouldn't have made the same decision, but I am more than happy with the KR. The biggest reasons for me to upgrade were higher ISO, faster focus speed, and just quicker responsiveness in general.

The only downfall I have seen is the sound of the shutter is quite a bit louder than on the K200d.
01-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hardpan Quote
I also debated the KR / K5 decision recently. I finally decided the KR was a big enough jump from my K200d. I know from lurking on several forums, many people wouldn't have made the same decision, but I am more than happy with the KR. The biggest reasons for me to upgrade were higher ISO, faster focus speed, and just quicker responsiveness in general.

The only downfall I have seen is the sound of the shutter is quite a bit louder than on the K200d.
I bought it also for its light weight. I have osteoarthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists and am avoiding surgery so try to make the best of the equipment I have. When I was hankering after the K5, I was forgetting how much the weight of a camera affects me. I can't go shooting all day, even with a compact, so getting a K5 would have been somewhat counterintuitive. I just got caught up in my own "gotta have it" mentality.

Thats why I am also planning to collect as many of the tiny primes as I can, because they are so light, it makes a longer shoot possible for me.

Shutter noise... had not really noticed, I thought it was all much of a muchness.