Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
I actually never got a second body. I didn't want to deal with the return/exchange hassle. We punted for now and got a couple of DA Limiteds and the 18-135.

If there wasn't a trend I would have chalked up the situation to getting a defective camera. Once I did some research, and saw the front-focus trend with both the K-r and K-5, I decided to punt. There's clearly an issue that needs to be resolved.

In my case both the K10D and K20D focused better in tungsten light. This was unacceptable to me. Especially considering the K10D which is 5 year old technology - eons in DSLRs.

If you, like me, are looking to use either of these new cameras with a fast lens in tungsten light, you may want to evaluate your options. That's my best advice.
Argh... I'm so freakin' torn. Also, I kinda realized today how much I look at that top LCD on my K10D...

I guess at this point, I let it ship and see how bad it is. Worst case, if I have to ship it back, I'm out $10 for the return shipping.

01-18-2011, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

You won't miss the top LCD of the K10D. The 3" display on the K-r is terrific.

If you get the K-r don't do any focus tests. Take as many shots as you can in different types of light with the lenses you have available. If you're happy with the photos it takes then the camera will meet your needs and you will be very happy.

I just don't want to come across as somebody who trashes the K-r. It's a terrific camera. It really is. Would I buy it again? Absolutely. I just personally feel these new cameras have some AF funkiness going on. I'm sure Pentax will figure out a workaround. And I'm willing to wait until they get it right.

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Argh... I'm so freakin' torn. Also, I kinda realized today how much I look at that top LCD on my K10D...

I guess at this point, I let it ship and see how bad it is. Worst case, if I have to ship it back, I'm out $10 for the return shipping.
01-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

You're not going to see focus problems with a F/7.1 aperture.

QuoteOriginally posted by bigal1000 Quote
They look good to me any comments,both photos are jpegs no PP taken in tungston light on tri-pod with 2 sec selftimer. I don't do test charts,this is what i get from my Kr.
01-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But I probably will at f/1.4. Here's an example of a shot from Monday from my K10D/FA50:

f/1.4, 1/60, ISO1250, which works out to ~EV5 if my math is correct. Room is lit by five 60W candelabra bulbs. But the 5-year-old K10D focuses just fine in tungsten.

(ignore the stupid JPEG artifacts, this came from facebook.)

01-21-2011, 03:35 AM   #20
Banned

Can you attach another picture, made with K-r? So we can see the differences? I'm very curious. Thanks.
01-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can on Monday, when it arrives.
01-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #22
Banned

But, you don't have a picture taken in tungsten? Show us too see how the severe front focus looks.

01-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
And regarding the claim that adjusting white balance fixes the problem, it didn't work for me. I did a custom white balance which is more accurate than using the preset.

Unless the camera is programmed to change the focusing algorithm based on being set to "tungsten" and not based on the actual color temperature of the light source. I don't know that that is the case, but I can see where it could be.
01-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
I sent my K-r back for repair. It had severe FF issues under Tungsten light. I just received an email stating the camera was going to be replaced.

Hello

Sorry for the delay in your repairs. Yes, we are waiting for parts to complete the repairs to your unit and currently do not have an eta available. Due to the delay and for good customer relations I have requested a replacement unit. Once I receive the replacement unit (early next week) I will definitely ship to you immediately.

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding. If you should have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Take Care,

Gerri Maciag
Customer Service Manager
C.R.I.S. Camera Services
250 N. 54th Street
Chandler, Az 85226

So FWIW it seems to be a hardware problem.
01-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
But, you don't have a picture taken in tungsten? Show us too see how the severe front focus looks.
I can't. I do not have a K-r. Tracking info says I should have it Monday.