Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #16
Forum Member

Welcome aboard. I have had my Kr just over a month and love it.My problems have been self imposed by a rusty operator. So far I have experienced none of the problems posted but I have not delved into the focus issue under tungsten lighting. Just doing my thing and the Kr really has met my needs. Enjoy your new Kr!

01-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
Good to know you don't have any issues.

Sorry for the outburst (and now I'm truly being apologetic), but I just wanted to get the facts in. The links I posted are not fabricated, nor meant to dismiss the legitimate problems some people have. In another thread, I even 'incriminated' the K20D on this.
I'd just like to make one more point on this issue.

There is NO need to throw it in to every thread about the K-r. There's enough already!!
01-19-2011, 11:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texoma Quote
Welcome aboard. I have had my Kr just over a month and love it.My problems have been self imposed by a rusty operator. So far I have experienced none of the problems posted but I have not delved into the focus issue under tungsten lighting. Just doing my thing and the Kr really has met my needs. Enjoy your new Kr!
Thanks, texoma. I'm hoping to get out early in the morning. Might even head out soonish after I've had some tea, clouds seem to be present but not overwhelming, and sunset isnt for another couple of hours yet.
01-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texoma Quote
Hey.. that's pretty much how I've approached it as well! And yes, my K-r has exceeded my expectations.

01-20-2011, 06:54 AM   #20
Inactive Account

lets all buy a Canon or Nikon there perfect right.
01-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by bigal1000 Quote
lets all buy a Canon or Nikon there perfect right.
and I didn't think you yanks got sarcasm
woody
01-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First few shots

OK, I'm no great shakes at photography and this was just an after-being-out-for-dinner grab bag. I would have liked to be a tad earlier and in a slightly different location. I was using the K-r with the DA35Ltd.

ISO 200, f/4.5, 1/200
Did some post processing to lighten the buildings... everything in foreground is black in the original.

ISO 800, f/2.8, 1/60

ISO 3200, f/7.1, 1/13

I'm amazed at how well the dark scenes render with little noise. Yes, there's still some there, you'd not expect to get away with none, but so much better than my poor old K200D.

After these few shots, I'm feeling very comfortable with the K-r already, its an excellent bit of kit, and I cannot see it meeting the same fate as the K-x I bought early in 2010 (onsold in under 6 months). It feels like a fairly significant upgrade from that, and from the K200D. No regrets about not getting a K5

01-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #23
Veteran Member

congrads on your purchase.
How do you know you have no regrets if you never try the K-5?

I too have a decision to make, K-5 or K-r + good glass. That's a tough decision. Glad you made yours! Did you miss the top LCD from K200? I think I will with the K-r.

Lee
01-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote

I too have a decision to make, K-5 or K-r + good glass. That's a tough decision. Glad you made yours! Did you miss the top LCD from K200? I think I will with the K-r.

Lee
I referred to the top LCD on my K10D pretty regularly (never really looked at the data in the VF). I really thought I'd miss it on the K-r, but the same data is there, just presented in color and with icons. It's fine, really.

If you're contemplating a move to the K-r, you may be interested in this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/130636-first-impre...-k10d-k-r.html
01-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I too have a decision to make, K-5 or K-r + good glass.
+1 for me on this - likely deciding later this year, I think. Just wondering what will be the next version after k-r - what will Pentax do? You don't think they would just take the existing k-r and drop in the k-5 sensor, do you? What a slick package that would be!
01-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #26
ogl
Banned

Lee
K-r has a bit weaker AA filter and the sharpness is close to K200D.
K-5 is not bad too. But, K-x, K-r, K10D and K200D looks a bit sharper.

I'm in the same situation - want to buy second body. Can't decide yet...
01-27-2011, 01:32 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, if I had regrets, I'd be sitting here thinking "gee, wish I had gone for the K5" or similar thoughts. And I'm not.

However if you are asking how I know I made the right decision... that too is a personal opinion. The k-r fills the gaps for me, that exist with the K200. Light weight, good usable ISO range, and live view. The couple extra MP doesn't matter to me, and I've got over the lack of top LCD. I've never used a really pro or semi-pro body (except when playing with a friend's 5D) so I can't miss or regret not having that which I haven't ever experienced.
01-29-2011, 02:32 AM   #28

kyteflyer, I know exactly how you felt.
The Kr seems to fulfill all the needs that I needed from a camera, for now.

Im thinkin about the K5 though.
Other then the usual WR, better controls etc.
Somethin I would really like to have is the battery grip, greater dynamic range, 100% viewfinder, quieter shutter, the custom AF adjustment for individual lenses and lastly the focus accuracy.
01-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Hi Kyteflyer, I am another to join you coming from a 200d to KR instead of the K5 and like you I don't regret it and like you I don't give a rats about the sensor issue.
I have not even read the book yet as to what functions it has available but what photos I have taken are ok for me and a start. See the KR photo thread for some samples of these.

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I've never used a really pro or semi-pro body (except when playing with a friend's 5D) so I can't miss or regret not having that which I haven't ever experienced.
+1 on this
03-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After all this fuss, I have to confess to having bought a K5 anyway. I dunno, I guess it called too loudly to ignore. the Kr is a brilliant bit of kit, no doubt. I still have no regrets about having bought it and if I could afford to, I would keep it.