Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi kyteflyer, I'll be interested in your observations regarding the differences in the viewfinders of the kr and k5 and also if you notice any spectacular difference in the dynamic range! I was just about to follow your lead and now you have the k5 after all

03-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #32

ughhhh!!! I've had my k-r 3 weeks and I'm already shopping lenses non stop and wanting a k-5. In spite of the fact I still don't understand exposure super well and it's been so cold and rainy I have yet to take a picture outside of my house.
03-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sworks Quote
Hi kyteflyer, I'll be interested in your observations regarding the differences in the viewfinders of the kr and k5 and also if you notice any spectacular difference in the dynamic range! I was just about to follow your lead and now you have the k5 after all
I was happy with the Kr viewfinder, but sadly havent had much of an opportunity to get out with the K5 yet and its EATING at me. Murphy's law. Buy a camera on a sunny day, take it home to unpack and charge up the battery and the rain *will* begin once thats all done.

Used briefly in the house, seems bigger and brighter but thats a subjective assessment.

I've put the Kr and K200 up for sale but if nobody buys them I don't think I'll be devastated. I can still see times when I might prefer to take the Kr along instead of the K5.
03-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Bennett Quote
ughhhh!!! I've had my k-r 3 weeks and I'm already shopping lenses non stop and wanting a k-5. In spite of the fact I still don't understand exposure super well and it's been so cold and rainy I have yet to take a picture outside of my house.
Put your CC away NOW! I did not and look what happened!!

03-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #35

Hello, I just got a new K-r last week. It's my first DSLR.

I got it to mainly take photos indoors, photos of artwork. I'm having focusing issues, and I am as willing to bet the problem is me and what I'm doing rather than the camera. So, I've been reading about front focus issues. Is that issue explained here, what to look for and under what circumstances? My focus issues are both indoors and outdoors. I seem to have shakier hands than I think I do, but I'm also sure part of the problem is whatever settings I have. My focus problems do not happen all the time. I took a photo this morning that was amazingly sharp. But most are not. (hand-held shots that is)

So, I realize this is not the front-focus thread and I'm wondering if there is one that describes the problem in detail, what to look for to know if you have this problem. Thanks.
03-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Hi,

Just got my first DSLR (K-r) last week too! I am absolutely loving it.

Shellinaya, I wondered this myself and why its such a big deal, the best explanation I found regarding it was at Nikon D70 Focus Chart

The lens buying is crazy, when I first bought the camera I thought to myself, I wont buy another lens for a while the kit lens will last me for a bit while I'm learning... 2 days later I bought a telephoto lens, and I'm spending quite a bit of time looking for a wide angle lens I can afford!
03-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm new to the K-r as well, got mine yesterday. It's been raining since so I haven't gotten outdoors yet. I think I have noticed the front focus issue, but it is easy enough to work around by using Live View and/or manual focus. My problems are more related to inexperience with a DSLR. (This is my first.)

I have noticed that Aperture Priority mode does not work the way I expected it to. It appears that it is mostly intended for use outdoors or in good light. Indoors, I've found it sets the shutter speed way too slow for hand held shots, even if the flash is up and ready to go. Kind of frustrating, but in searching around, that appears to be how all DSLRs handle it. Can't wait to get out in some sunshine and try it out. Meantime, I'm shooting in manual mode and learning the behavior of the camera.

My poor cats are sick and tired of all the clicking and clunking and flashing going on around here!

03-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Congrats to all of you for choosing a brilliant little camera!

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
I'm spending quite a bit of time looking for a wide angle lens I can afford!
Do what I did: I've stopped looking at the grey market, or DCW and Ryda, and I just buy from B&H now (do it via Adam's link to help support this site). Its particularly good at the moment with the Aussie dollar equal to or passing the US dollar.

A word to the wise, though. SOME lenses *are* cheaper here. Eg, 16-45 f/4 you'd be mad to buy anywhere other than DCW at $409AU (http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod1341.htm) right now. This also comes with a good recommendation as a wide angle as well. Check out samples at the Pentax Photo Gallery.

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote

My poor cats are sick and tired of all the clicking and clunking and flashing going on around here!
Mine gets treats regularly, and he knows he has to sit up all straight and tall to get them... and get brushed... and get photographed sometimes. No flash though, I think he would startle at that, he's a nervous nellie if ever there was one.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 03-07-2011 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Additional info.
03-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote

Mine gets treats regularly, and he knows he has to sit up all straight and tall to get them... and get brushed... and get photographed sometimes. No flash though, I think he would startle at that, he's a nervous nellie if ever there was one.
Well, that's a great idea. Thank you. They may well be more cooperative if they know they're getting treats. Duh. The only problem I'm having with flash is the weird blue/green color it tends to put in their pupils.

Today it's sunny (but cold!) so I'm hoping to be able to get out and finally try the camera outdoors!
03-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #40

Yeah, my dog feels the same way as your cats.

My "problems" also seem to be my own inexperience. My K-r does not seem to have a front-focus problem -- I did the focus test and it came out well. I just need more practice in using it. I also have the slow shutter speed surprising me at times -- but that can easily be changed. Other than my need to learn more I'm loving this camera so far.
03-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shellinaya Quote
Yeah, my dog feels the same way as your cats.

My "problems" also seem to be my own inexperience. My K-r does not seem to have a front-focus problem -- I did the focus test and it came out well. I just need more practice in using it. I also have the slow shutter speed surprising me at times -- but that can easily be changed. Other than my need to learn more I'm loving this camera so far.
Even when you have experience, every new camera brings new challenges and new things to learn, I just love it. I love the K-r and I also love the K-5... and I still love my old K200D. Just keep working on it, and don't try to learn it all at once, its just not possible. I tend to learn things as I need to know how to do something.

Congrats on missing the FF issue, I did too, on both cameras, thank goodness
03-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #42
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Even when you have experience, every new camera brings new challenges and new things to learn, I just love it. I love the K-r and I also love the K-5... and I still love my old K200D. Just keep working on it, and don't try to learn it all at once, its just not possible. I tend to learn things as I need to know how to do something.
Oooooh, great advice! My brand new K-r is due to be delivered tomorrow, and I am overwhelmed with anticipation and excitement. I like your advice, kyteflyer. So glad I found this forum.
03-10-2011, 03:04 AM   #43

Isn't it amazing how a little happiness can spread and make people feel better (despite the problems some experience which hopefully can, to some extend, be addressed by pentax themselves soon).

Hopefully this is a turning point and it would also be good to see more of you post pics taken with the K-R.

regards

ro
03-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drummerman Quote
Isn't it amazing how a little happiness can spread and make people feel better (despite the problems some experience which hopefully can, to some extend, be addressed by pentax themselves soon).

Hopefully this is a turning point and it would also be good to see more of you post pics taken with the K-R.

regards

ro
Happy to oblige. here's a couple recently accepted to the PPG (and which I think I've posted elsewhere on site too, in relation to the lenses used.)

K-r plus FA43 Ltd

K-r plus DA15 Ltd
03-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbryant Quote
Oooooh, great advice! My brand new K-r is due to be delivered tomorrow, and I am overwhelmed with anticipation and excitement. I like your advice, kyteflyer. So glad I found this forum.
Oh boy are you gonna be in 7th heaven!!