Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've joined the K-r Crew :)

I'm going to repost some of what I wrote in another forum about my rationale for the apparently sudden change of mind (I was intent on getting K5)

K-5 is completely off my future agenda now, I had to think long and hard about what I really wanted.

1) 16MP? not really... I was happy with 10, and 12 will be just fine for my purposes.
2) Top LCD?... nice to have but I am simply going to have to get over it.
3) Weather sealed body?... again, nice to have, but my reality is that I am mostly a fair weather shooter and none of my lenses are sealed or even WR so... ha.
4) ISO to 52000? I don't really care much about that, I rarely shoot over 400 and most of the time choose to restrict to 200 and truly... I'm pretty sure that the K-r range will be MORE than adequate for me, with the ISO I do regularly use being better than ever.

What have I achieved today in buying the K-r instead?
1) Lighter weight: The K200 is pretty hefty (though not as hefty as some) and when I was considering the K-5 I was forgetting how difficult I find even the K200 at times, because of my carpal tunnels, osteoarthritis and so on. Getting an even heavier camera made no sense.
2) Live view: I've managed with the K200d but I find it a royal pain, using a tripod without live view. Yes, we all managed in the past with our film cameras but why continue to play like that when you don't have to. Will be very useful for macro too.
3) Focus lights: lack of these was one of the things that annoyed me about the K-x – the issue has been addressed now, and this is good.
4) Much faster AF than my K200: all good.

So, I have got the battery charging as I type, and hope that the weather behaves over the next few days so I can get out and about with K-r + DA35ltd. I am so looking forward to it.

01-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

How's your Tungsten focus? =P
01-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
How's your Tungsten focus? =P
I have no idea, the battery isn't charged up yet and TBH, I'm not going to be doing any testing unless I can see a good reason to do so... sorry :-/
01-19-2011, 12:50 AM   #4

To be honest, I'm getting tired of reading about K-r tungstem focus issues.
D7000 backfocusing in tungsten light: Nikon D90 - D40 / D7000 - D3000 Forum: Digital Photography Review
In another thread, I posted a Canon related issue. This is a Nikon's.
Its a tech limitation atm. If that's the only 'issue' with the K-r, then I think its the perfect body right now.
Or do we find for other faults?

01-19-2011, 05:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's true that tungsten lighting will test the AF system from any manufacturer. It's also true that there is a clear trend with both the K-r and K-5 regarding significant front-focus in such light.

Front-focus that only shows up in test shots is not very significant. Front-focus that shows up in actual shots is, well, another story entirely.

QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
D7000 backfocusing in tungsten light: Nikon D90 - D40 / D7000 - D3000 Forum: Digital Photography Review
Its a tech limitation atm. If that's the only 'issue' with the K-r, then I think its the perfect body right now.
01-19-2011, 05:53 AM   #6

I didn't mean to sound rude here, nor do i want to hijack this thread.
So to keep on topic, congrats to the op. I hope you don't have any issues.
01-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
It's true that tungsten lighting will test the AF system from any manufacturer. It's also true that there is a clear trend with both the K-r and K-5 regarding significant front-focus in such light.

Front-focus that only shows up in test shots is not very significant. Front-focus that shows up in actual shots is, well, another story entirely.
Well said krebsy97. You're right, and I contend that irrespective of where or how it exposes itself to an owner, it is a valid issue and people have got every valid right to be very concerned about ill-functioning Fr.F or any other problems in product that they pay for with their money, and should be free to express those concerns if and when they want.

If it were left to the destructive apathy and apologists crowd then Pentax themselves would not feel any pressure either to address it toward finding a positive solution for the future. No one wins when that's the gameplay.

.R.

"Critics are our friends, they tell us our faults." -- Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

01-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I posted that as a joke, hence the tongue-sticky-outie. I just figured it wasn't a true K-r discussion without mentioning it.

I'm sorry, kyteflyer, for derailing your thread. A big CONGRATS to you on your new purchase!
01-19-2011, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
I posted that as a joke, hence the tongue-sticky-outie. I just figured it wasn't a true K-r discussion without mentioning it.
Ha, it was obvious you were shit stirring. Good thing too, it needs all the airing it can get -- the camera is too bloody good otherwise to sweep hard-basket things under carpets.

Ya never know, kyte might even be the lucky newcomer to The K-r Klan™ who solves the Fr.F riddle for us all. Or perhaps you will, when yours finally arrives. A 99% reliable practical workaround would be sweet.
More open minds on deck means different approaches which can't be too bad.

.R. <-- unofficial founder and righteous dirt-digger of The K-r Klan™ on P.F.
01-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Enjoy It..

I really like my Kr and enough already with the tungsten focus,just enjoy it.
01-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
Sounds good to me.
01-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
the camera is too bloody good otherwise to sweep hard-basket things under carpets.
Well said. The K-r really is a terrific camera. I wish I had some insight as to how Pentax could have missed this. It will be interesting to see how it all transpires.
01-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigal1000 Quote
I really like my Kr and enough already with the tungsten focus,just enjoy it.
Thats exactly where I am at. Front focus, back focus... it has all meant nothing to me so far... I shot a couple of the front page of the manual in dim tungsten light. No problems that I could see. I'm not going to spend time with special cards or grids or whatever, I just want to enjoy my new camera.

This is straight from the camera with the exception of resizing for posting here. Dim light, yellow/brown... The manual page is white/grey but you would expect the different colour because of the light source. I'm happy with the clarity, I was focussing on the top dial of the camera graphic. All Auto, f/5.6, ISO 3200, 1/15 and 35mm because I was using the DA35mmLtd macro lens. Surprised I can still handhold at that shutter speed. Its easier with a lighter camera. This is the one and only vaguely test shot which I'll post.

It's raining cats and dogs out there at the moment (5.50am but I've been up since 4, I was going to head out and do some photography today - camera club inspired me last night - but its going to be delayed somewhat methinks). Perhaps today I should be doing the house cleaning I have been putting off Damnation.

Oh, and did I mention that with the money I did not spend on the K5, I have bought a DA15mm Ltd which has been shipped, should arrive next week

Last edited by kyteflyer; 01-19-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: addition of shot
01-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Thats exactly where I am at. Front focus, back focus... it has all meant nothing to me so far... I shot a couple of the front page of the manual in dim tungsten light. No problems that I could see. I'm not going to spend time with special cards or grids or whatever, I just want to enjoy my new camera.

This is straight from the camera with the exception of resizing for posting here. Dim light, yellow/brown... The manual page is white/grey but you would expect the different colour because of the light source. I'm happy with the clarity, I was focussing on the top dial of the camera graphic. All Auto, f/5.6, ISO 3200, 1/15 and 35mm because I was using the DA35mmLtd macro lens. Surprised I can still handhold at that shutter speed. Its easier with a lighter camera. This is the one and only vaguely test shot which I'll post.

It's raining cats and dogs out there at the moment (5.50am but I've been up since 4, I was going to head out and do some photography today - camera club inspired me last night - but its going to be delayed somewhat methinks). Perhaps today I should be doing the house cleaning I have been putting off Damnation.

Oh, and did I mention that with the money I did not spend on the K5, I have bought a DA15mm Ltd which has been shipped, should arrive next week

Good to know you don't have any issues.

Sorry for the outburst (and now I'm truly being apologetic), but I just wanted to get the facts in. The links I posted are not fabricated, nor meant to dismiss the legitimate problems some people have. In another thread, I even 'incriminated' the K20D on this.

But there might be some people out there who never heard of this universal issue, experience this 'Front-focus that only shows up in test shots is not very significant' , go through the cycles of replacing bodies, lenses, calibration process [see Nikon and Canon links], and missing out on a great camera altogether.

Next thing you know they leave Pentax because Pentax can't get their act together. But that's not the problem, it's when they buy another (presumably same lower class) body that exhibits the same issues.

Bottom line is when people are better informed, they can make more intelligent decisions.

But I guess you won't getting into that predicament
01-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

You're not going to see focus problems with an aperture of f/5.6.

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote