Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #1

K-r lens

Hi,
I'm new to the dslr world. Just before Christmas I bought a K-r with the 18-55 lens. So far I'm quite pleased with the camera(a panasonic point and shoot being my previous camera) I'm possibly picking up a k mount f2 50mm lens. Any advice on initial settings on the camera for that particular lens? Any advice is welcome, thanks.

01-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Congrats and welcome! Which lens is it? If it doesn't have an "A" setting on the aperture ring, you'll need to enable the aperture ring setting. I can't tell you exactly how, as my K-r has not arrived yet.
01-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To allow the use of the aperture ring and shoot with old manual lenses, set custom function 22 "Using Aperture Ring" to "Permitted". You will also need to assign the Green Button to "Optical Preview". Then set the camera to operate in Manual Exposure (M) mode. Select the desired aperture on the lens, then push and hold the Green Button. The lens will stop down to the set aperture (the viewfinder will darken, possibly by a lot if the f-stop number is high; this is normal) and the camera will meter the scene and indicate the difference from the correct exposure. Set exposure values as appropriate, use the Green Button to stop down and meter again and make any changes as needed, and shoot.

Hope this helps in using manual aperture lenses, if yours will be one of them. Limitations regarding the use of the aperture ring are detailed in page 314 (PDF page 316) of the K-r manual.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 01-18-2011 at 10:51 PM.
01-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tg24 Quote
Hi,
I'm new to the dslr world. Just before Christmas I bought a K-r with the 18-55 lens. So far I'm quite pleased with the camera(a panasonic point and shoot being my previous camera) I'm possibly picking up a k mount f2 50mm lens. Any advice on initial settings on the camera for that particular lens? Any advice is welcome, thanks.
if you're gonna go manual (and i'm thinking yes since they don't make AF 50mm f/2) then might as well go for the f/1.7 or f/1.4 version... you'll be happier with the faster lens for not much more.

Pentax is real easy.
Pentax-M lens (it says so on the lens), are full manual, that means you control the aperture and focus on the lens
Pentax-A are semi auto, the aperture is controllable by the camera wheels, but focus is still manual.
Any other later one (F/FA ect...) are all auto focus (you'll definitely know since there's a price jump).

And there you go... IMO the most cost effective/convenient is gonna be the pentax-A lens, they're about 50 more than the M version on the same spec lens, but the ability to use AV mode and controlling aperture via camera is quite nice.

01-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for all the info. The lens is an M 50mm f2. I got it for $30 and it's in great shape. Even with my very limited experience with dslr cameras, I find this lens gives sharper images than the kit lens that came with the camera.
01-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #6

thanks for all the info. The lens is an M 50mm f2. I got it for $30 and it's in great shape. Even with my very limited experience with dslr cameras, I find this lens gives sharper images than the kit lens that came with the camera.
That lens will give you great pictures, especially considering the money you paid! I used to have one of those, so I know!

However, it is very difficult focusing a manual lens through the K-r viewfinder if the light is dim. In dim light using the live view mode will make it a lot easier to determine when the picture is in focus.
01-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #7

As long as you are comfortable adjusting the aperture, this lens will satisfy your needs compare to any manual lens you might imagine. I used the exact same with my K100D and was very pleased. Later on upgraded to a 1.7 version which produced even sharper images.