Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
Inactive Account

REALLY Stupid Question from *Newbie*

Hello! Today was my first day playing around with my new Pentax K-r (previous Canon owner) and new lenses. I was mostly working with my Macro lens, the DFA Macro 100 F2.8 WR..and WOW great lens btw.. My really, really stupid question is this..

What am I doing incorrectly that is preventing me from "saving" the language, home location, date and time of day on the camera. Every time I turn it off, and then on again, the info is gone. I tried entering the information using two separate methods..e.g. the screens that pop up when turning the camera on and then also directly by navigating the Menu button to no avail.

Please tell me I am doing something pathetically stupid.. and that I do not have to enter this info every time I turn the camera on.

!!!Thank you for your help!!!
Wendy

01-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
well, i'm not sure if your'e doing everything ok, but does your camera have the latest firmware? if not, I suggest you to update it. if it does..
maybe you do not confirm properly, that you set the time and location.. be sure to read guides, which button does what in certain contexts.

Maybe others will help you out more..

I'll think about your problem more..
01-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I remember having the exact same problem but the only part of the resolution I recall is that I corrected it by going step by step in the manual and all was good.
01-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Are you hitting OK and not MENU when you have finished inputting ?

01-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I am hitting OK after every entry and my screen even confirms that the info has been entered. When I am finished with all the settings, I have to hit the menu button to exit out of the setup screen, otherwise it just sits there.. I'm guessing this might be the problem. I will look at upgrading the firmware as suggested. It's always the simplest things that get me stuck!!! Thanks again for your help
01-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #6

Weird...try lightly hitting the shutter button instead of menu when you're done? Almost sounds like the backup battery (does the K-r even have one?) is dead.
01-19-2011, 10:39 PM   #7

Took me three attempts to get it to set. At first I thought it was just me being excited in having a new camera but after the third try. Don't think I changed anything in the setup but it's ok now. Hope you get it sorted.

Rusty.
01-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here is what I think is happening. The K-R has a back-up rechargeable battery. It is almost dead when you get the camera. When you install a charged main battery the back-up battery begins to charge SLOWLY from the main battery. After several days of the main battery charging the back-up, all works well. I have no proof, just a theory.

01-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Problem Solved!

I think GP1806 might have been on to something.. Despite the problems with the silly set-up situation, I ignored it and managed to take a whole wack of pictures yesterday, and again, I have to rave about my new Macro lens! In any event, today I was back behind the camera and when I turned my camera on, it went through the same old set-up routine again, but this time..Voila! It Worked!!The info Saved!! .. Needless to say I am a one happy camper!
Great helpful crowd here.. glad I joined!
Have a wonderful day
Wendy
01-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm glad you that the problem is solved.

welcome!
01-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
BTW: Wendy, unless your question is "Should I buy a Nikon?", there are no stupid questions...