Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Praise and an example...

Just got the new K-r with 18-55 II lens and tools my first shots at a local car show. I'm posting this one to show the camera/lens qualities not the photographic virtues of this image. It's a test shot, picked because it was the toughest subject available: poor shade lighting, harsh back light, little subject color range, tough reflections in the chrome, etc etc, and then I used 18mm because it seems the weakest part of most kit lenses.

Minimally processed from RAW: Av, f/5.6 @ 1/250th; a bit of standard capture USM (80/1/0) and cropped, no other adjustments. But with everything going against the gear, including the marginal skill of the photographer, I am very happy with the result.

I've had the K100D and K-20, and several Pentax and Tamron zooms and primes, but I have never gotten this level of IQ straight out of the box with any previous combination of camera and lens. I can't wait top see what it will do with something like the DA40 and some careful post processing.

The K-r is a good, fast, sharp camera with a great range of features that produces excellent detail and contrast and good, natural colors ; solid in the hand and built far beyond it's price range with a great high-resolution LCD. I'm still troubled by light leak around the VF that dims the data-line, but I'm going to find a solution for that eventually, and in the meantime I'm going to enjoy the new gear. As far as I'm concerned, Pentax got it right,
Brian

01-24-2011, 01:38 AM   #2

I ilke my k-r too. =)
01-24-2011, 03:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
slowly but surely the kr will get the attention that it deserves

I love mine.
01-24-2011, 05:11 AM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
I'm posting this one to show the camera/lens qualities not the photographic virtues of this image. It's a test shot, picked because it was the toughest subject available: poor shade lighting, harsh back light, little subject color range, tough reflections in the chrome, etc etc, and then I used 18mm because it seems the weakest part of most kit lenses.
Good to see people happy with Kr. Mine was sent at the Pentax dealer because the front focus in artificial light (especially tungsten) was too big.
My intention is not to contradict you in any way, but I could get the same results using my old Super CCD Fujifilm F40FD. When you redim. a picture, the finest details are lost, the noise "fades" and the picture looks better than in reality.

01-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
Good to see people happy with Kr. Mine was sent at the Pentax dealer because the front focus in artificial light (especially tungsten) was too big.
My intention is not to contradict you in any way, but I could get the same results using my old Super CCD Fujifilm F40FD. When you redim. a picture, the finest details are lost, the noise "fades" and the picture looks better than in reality.
Give it a rest will you. Any opportunty to put the Kr down and be negative - even when some one shows how well their camera is performing. It's like you want to put a downer on them as well. It seems to me you might as well sell your Kr and move to Canikon as it's the only way you're going to be happy - until you find the faults there as well.
01-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Banned

My friend, what's your problem? I'm not a fanboy, I'm just a man who had an unpleasant first experience with Pentax. I don't want to sell my Kr, but to have a good one. Do you have something against?
01-24-2011, 11:45 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
I have never gotten this level of IQ straight out of the box with any previous combination of camera and lens.
Amen to that! That's what I've been finding as well. I haven't had much urge yet to use any custom settings.

QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
Give it a rest will you. Any opportunty to put the Kr down and be negative - even when some one shows how well their camera is performing. It's like you want to put a downer on them as well. It seems to me you might as well sell your Kr and move to Canikon as it's the only way you're going to be happy - until you find the faults there as well.
I'm all for intelligent arguments or helpful feedback, but I gotta agree here... Not really helpful comments. Kind of hurtful actually.