Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
Marketplace Reseller

Kr Viewfinder Question

I was thinking of purchasing a Kr to compliment my K7.

I love my K7 dearly, but I would like a 2nd body as backup and it would be fun to have something with cleaner output for low light / night photography (though not a priority).

I am concerned that I won't like the viewfinder of the Kr compared to my K7. I often use MF and manual lenses so a bright, accurate viewfinder is desirable. I know the K5 viewfinder is the same as the K7, but I would rather wait a year for prices to drop and QC issues to clear up. If there is a big downgrade in viewfinder quality I may instead buy a used K10D or K20D.

If someone could share their experiences with both cameras I would very much appreciate the info. Thanks in advance for your replies.

01-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've heard that it's really only a very marginal difference in brightness. I should have a K-r waiting on my doorstep after work, so I can let you know later. But I'm sure others will beat me to it.
01-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cmmurray Quote
I was thinking of purchasing a Kr to compliment my K7.

I love my K7 dearly, but I would like a 2nd body as backup and it would be fun to have something with cleaner output for low light / night photography (though not a priority).

I am concerned that I won't like the viewfinder of the Kr compared to my K7. I often use MF and manual lenses so a bright, accurate viewfinder is desirable. I know the K5 viewfinder is the same as the K7, but I would rather wait a year for prices to drop and QC issues to clear up. If there is a big downgrade in viewfinder quality I may instead buy a used K10D or K20D.

If someone could share their experiences with both cameras I would very much appreciate the info. Thanks in advance for your replies.
kr's viewfinder is smaller and dimmer than K5/k7.

however I had k7 but sold it, used kx for a year, now I have kr.
I also have viewfinder magnification x1 so it becomes a little better..

however it doesn't stop me from taking good pictures.. i'm not sure how would it be to constantly focus manually.. but it is possible because I often see in the viewfinder, whether focus is locked accurately, or not..

considering the IQ i believe you will not regret anything about Kr
01-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
cmmurray, I had a K20 with a very similar prism VF to the K-7/5 and now a K-r. A pentamirror like the K-r will always be "less" than a pentaprism both in size and brightness. That being said, the K-r is as good as any other in it's class and frankly about the same as anything without a prism (except the Sony a33/55 that are very different of course). The magnifying eyecups help detail, but you'll loose a bit of coverage on the edges and do nothing for brightness. My issue is that the VF data line dims much more on the K-r than the K20 in bright sunlight and I'm looking for a work-around,
Brian

01-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #5

where do you find viewfinder magnification for K-r? Somehow the viewfinder itself is small for me (not the image) inside if you know what I am talking about.
01-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Pentax K-r Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

01-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #7

Thanks, I already know that. My question is anyway to make the eye piece bigger with some sort of accessories?
01-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hyl4me Quote
Thanks, I already know that. My question is anyway to make the eye piece bigger with some sort of accessories?
You can't make the eyepiece physically 'bigger', but there are gadgets designed to alter the perception of that, and possibly improve the situation.
Refer the K-r manual, p322-323 lists all of the genuine Pentax options available.

I now have an O-ME53 Mag Eyecup on both my K-x and K-r. Factored this into the cheaper camera prices knowing the pentamirror VF was small[er], and am fairly satisfied with the improvement for the extra cost.
Fairly distractive vignetting-type side effect if I leave my glasses on, none if bare eye though and the rubber cup is better (bigger & softer) but still not enough to seal out all extraneous light which I'd hoped for. Also there's no VF~TTL image light loss at all, nor any annoying wierdo distortion caused from the mag, Pentax spec is 1.2x mag = 1.00x VF result on K-x/r.
http://www.adorama.com/IPXOME53.html
http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/detail/PTX+30150

It's listed in the K-r manual as an accessory/option, but not in the K-x one for some inexplicable reason. ? I believe it's designed to suit all models though and thus would provide a relative slightly higher mag on say a K-7/5, with potentially slightly more noticable (maybe annoying too) vignette due to the slight larger physical size of their VF. ? Don't take my word, best to ask K-7/5 owners, who also have a O-ME53 fitted, about that.

Also, there's at least one other type of standard-style VF mag eyecup that I know of, only seen available on eBay and is supposedly either 1.3x or 1.36x, depending on the vendor's claim and what model they offer; plus some 3rd party right angle ones on eBay too that claim from 1x-3.3x.
http://cgi.ebay.com/TENPA-1-36x-ViewFinder-Magnifier-Eyepiece-PENTAX-/370476...item5642211ed9
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-3X-Right-Angle-View-Finder-4-Canon-Nikon-SONY-Pentax-/...item5634410128

Sorry I have no experience with any of those so can't comment.

HTH.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 01-24-2011 at 04:48 PM.
01-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #9

Thanks Hypocorism. I will look into these.
01-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

hyl4me, The ideal solution would be something like the Hoodman eyecup that actually fits over eyeglasses and blocks all peripheral light but it is an accessory for HoodEYE eyecups and they only fit Nikon and Canon. I'm considering pulling off the Pentax eyecup surround, getting just the Hoodman eyecup and glueing it to directly to the back of the K-r,
Brian
01-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
hyl4me, The ideal solution would be something like the Hoodman eyecup that actually fits over eyeglasses and blocks all peripheral light but it is an accessory for HoodEYE eyecups and they only fit Nikon and Canon. I'm considering pulling off the Pentax eyecup surround, getting just the Hoodman eyecup and glueing it to directly to the back of the K-r,
Brian
?? I wonder how could something "fits over glasses", unless it was huge? Spectacle lenses in their frames are of varying size, and naturally stand off the face too, away from the eye, and in my experience it's that stand-off space that permits even more extraneous light to enter than the naked eye does against any cup style.
(Otoh; I expect that contact lens' wearers shouldn't have that exaggerated, unsealed stand-off distance problem, but contacts aren't 'glasses'.)

The stand-off distance also can create significant diopter adjustment variance need too for many vision-aid users (depending on the person's prescription, short or long sighted, 'human AF' goes into severe Fr.F or B.F mode under all light types! ), so it isn't really one of those simple solution problems in my estimation.

So, other than being a lot more expensive, uses the term "Glasses model" in its advertising claim when its shape and size doesn't appear that it could solve the abovementioned issues, and not being versatile in made dedicated for or come with adapters to fit multi-camera brands (incl Pentax); is that Hoodman one any better than this apparent same concept & style generic no-name model example here?
Eyecup Eye Cup for Pentax K100D K110D K200D K20D K10D - eBay (item 180334032165 end time Feb-22-11 13:48:45 PST)

Fwiw: Can't confirm if they are any good yet, but I have 3 of them on order due for delivery about now. Hoping it does what it says on the tin or I lose USD10.98 incl. for being a guinea pig...

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 01-26-2011 at 09:42 AM.
01-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Hypocorism, let us know if it works. If you go to the link I included you'd see that the Hoodman is indeed very large and in the video fits over the guy's glasses and flush to his face. This product looks similar but smaller,
Brian
01-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hypocorism, let us know if it works. If you go to the link I included you'd see that the Hoodman is indeed very large and in the video fits over the guy's glasses and flush to his face. This product looks similar but smaller,
Brian
Will do that FHP.
Yes I'm vaguely hoping they might fit around near as good as that appears to in the film clip, and also be ambidextrous style too, that's a bonus (to me) because some types out there appear like they're fixed for right-eye favoured viewing only.

Might end up having to buy one and adapt it to Pentax, like your plan.

Wish I had a Nikon cam to test fit because some N models claim to be 22mm same size as Pentax eyepiece mount. Possible?

.R.
01-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hypocorism, my assumption is that the 22mm Nikon "square" VF is close to the 22mm K-r. My second assumption is that with some careful trimming the enlarged Hoodman would fit the K-r, but probably not on the current eyepiece surround, so it would have to replace that and attach directly to the camera like this...

where the arrowed lines would allow it to be attached closely around the 22mm window, or the lighter oval area on the Hoodman would have to be trimmed away to allow a wider fitting on the VF mounting plate approximately where the screws are,
Brian
01-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Hypocorism, my assumption is that the 22mm Nikon "square" VF is close to the 22mm K-r. My second assumption is that with some careful trimming the enlarged Hoodman would fit the K-r, but probably not on the current eyepiece surround, so it would have to replace that and attach directly to the camera like this...

where the arrowed lines would allow it to be attached closely around the 22mm window, or the lighter oval area on the Hoodman would have to be trimmed away to allow a wider fitting on the VF mounting plate approximately where the screws are,
Brian
Yep I get your idea now. Some shrewd reshaping and parts glueing using bits made for each brand could result in a simple redesign better than any for a Pentax.

I hope to know more when the cheap eBay cups arrive (maybe today or tomorrow perhaps), will be able to compare their 5 included adapters for size and fit and something might prove salvageable to adapt together with a Hoodman mount & rubber.

.R.