Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax k-r and the 31mm ltd.

Hello Everyone,
I recently struggled with the tuff decision of choosing a new DSLR in a market flooded with innovative designs and great camera's. I looked at 1-2 camera's from just about every manufacturer, but something about Pentax's designs and lenses kept pulling me back. So I narrowed my choice to the k-5 or k-r. I posted on the forums asking for advise on wether to choose a k-5 with a kit and upgrade glass later or a k-r with nice glass. I mulled over it, adding each one to my shopping cart, then deleting, then adding...(you get the point) . I am happy to say that I finally made my purchase. I chose the k-r with the 31mm ltd and 77mm ltd lenses. I know there are advantages of the k-5, and I'll upgrade when the price comes down. For now, the k-r is doing a great job. I wanted to share a few quick photo's from this weekend. I am going to work on a review on the camera and lenses. Feedback is always welcome.

Thanks for looking

-Paz

Attached Images

01-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You made a good choice - good glass doesn't get obsolete like camera bodies do!
01-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Not to be critical but with a lens like that shallow DOF makes focus even more important and more difficult. Pay particular attention to the focus point indicator is where you intend it to be. Center point focus has helped me with fast lenses.
01-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I made a similar tradeoff - had saved up for the k-5, then bought a used k-7 and good glass (31mm is in the mail!) Body's come and go - good glass is (nearly) forever. Enjoy!

01-24-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Great color in those photos. You have a fantastic set of "starter" lenses.
01-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
wow, too dream lenses.. with a great body.

I recently bought a new 35/2.4 but to say truly i'm satisfied by the quality it porduces..

howver 31mm for focal length would be even better..

congrats on your new purchase, enjey it, and yeah, would be nice to read your review of both lenses and camera..
01-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That is an awesome set of lenses, and should be excellent in combination with the K-r. I'm envious! Do you have a black body and black lenses? Would love to see some pictures of the camera with lenses attached. Are there any K-r color combinations that work with the silver versions of the FA limiteds?
01-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Nice lenses to begin with.

Please don't take this the wrong way, your pictures appear to be very front focused to me. That could be down to technique, or it could be the body or lenses.

I would suggest getting off auto 11-point focusing using center point only, AF-S, and practice nailing focus that way. Don't even worry about recomposing at first. If you still find your pictures are still front focused then I'd suggest you spend 15 minutes reading this link which gives you what you need to test whether your lenses are front focusing.

Good luck

01-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter

the k-r is great especially with glass like that. love the cake passing shot
01-29-2011, 02:21 AM   #10

Agree with twitch.
I have the exact same setup, theres some front focusing as well.
Set mine to -4.

But no FF with the fa77 though.