Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Green button re-assign. Missing out?

I've re-assigned my Green button to be digital preview, as that was one feature I loved from my K10D so I don't have to deal with useless test shots later on.

Am I missing out on anything now? The only things I used it for before, as far as I remember, where a quick auto in M mode (which i rarely use), and OK+Green for auto ISO, which is impossible on the K-r. Anything I'm not thinking of?

01-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Banned

nope, those are the main reasons for the green button. If you never used it for those other features, then setting it to digital preview is fine. It's all about personal preference.
01-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Am I missing out on anything now? The only things I used it for before, as far as I remember, where a quick auto in M mode (which i rarely use), and OK+Green for auto ISO, which is impossible on the K-r. Anything I'm not thinking of?
Me three. I'd really like to know, what's G.B utopia?
So confused with the options and their caveats because there is only one Green button -- ie. feature X looks really cool, but Otoh.. it appears to cancel out useful 'default' actions of Green Button when the camera is in various other modes or combinations. Don't ask me which, please.

Perhaps I should just brush up on probability math and calculate up all the possibilities, but then soon as I start it quickly seems that odds of winning the lottery is more likely.

But I do like having AF/AE-L >> AE Lock, and option [2] (On) at C.1.5 -- that reassignment is useful, and makes better sense because it doesn't seem to disrupt anything else useful.
Or does it?

.R.
01-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have C.1.5 set to 1, mainly for focus/recompose situations. If I'm on center-point focus, and I angle upwards to focus on a face, then tilt back down for the shot, if there's a bright light above their head, and the AE locks on that, I'll get dark pics.

01-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Me three. I'd really like to know, what's G.B utopia?
So confused with the options and their caveats because there is only one Green button -- ie. feature X looks really cool, but Otoh.. it appears to cancel out useful 'default' actions of Green Button when the camera is in various other modes or combinations. Don't ask me which, please.
Well it depends on the camera too. On a K-7/K-5, there's already separate buttons for most of the optional uses of the green button. So there's no need to set it to things like "digital preview" since there's already a preview button on the On/Off switch (which can be configured for digital or optical). On a K-x/K-r, the possibilities are more limited. You have to pick and choose which functions are available at the push of a button, and which ones require more menu-diving. In no case do you ever "cancel" a feature out altogether, there's always some way to enable whatever function isn't currently accessible through the Green button. One thing's for sure, having a Green button is better than not having one.

I use the green button all the time for metering in Manual mode, and for setting auto-ISO, and for returning the camera to Program mode when I've switched to hyper-Av or hyper-Tv, among many other things. The green button sees a lot more use than the AE-L or RAW/Fn buttons on my K-5.

Last edited by Hound Tooth; 01-26-2011 at 10:23 PM.
01-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
I've re-assigned my Green button to be digital preview, as that was one feature I loved from my K10D so I don't have to deal with useless test shots later on.

With the K-r and old lenses that can't send aperture data (and therefore show "F--"), you can get digital preview and quick auto at the same time.

I have my green button set to digital preview. The Av exposure compensation button does quick auto - I set the aperture ring, focus on my target, tap Av then the camera takes a light reading and sets the shutter speed.

I suppose this may work on any lens that has an aperture ring, but I can't test because my small lens collection is mixed between very old, and new without any aperture ring.
01-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
I use the green button all the time for metering in Manual mode, and for setting auto-ISO, and for returning the camera to Program mode when I've switched to hyper-Av or hyper-Tv, among many other things. The green button sees a lot more use than the AE-L or RAW/Fn buttons on my K-5.
I've never used Hyper-program mode. If P chooses something I'm not happy with, I just switch over to the appropriate mode, so I don't need green for that. On the K10D, I used OK+Green all the time to reset ISO, but there's no equivalent function on the K-r, you have to press the ISO button and choose auto. And I generally only use manual with off-camera flash where I have to take time to set exposure anyway. So sounds like I'm good to go!
01-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
With the K-r and old lenses that can't send aperture data (and therefore show "F--"), you can get digital preview and quick auto at the same time.

I have my green button set to digital preview. The Av exposure compensation button does quick auto - I set the aperture ring, focus on my target, tap Av then the camera takes a light reading and sets the shutter speed.

I suppose this may work on any lens that has an aperture ring, but I can't test because my small lens collection is mixed between very old, and new without any aperture ring.
Awesome! Thanks for this! The only manual lens I own has auto-aperture, but it's great to know the feature is there.