Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 02:54 AM   #1

Kr Review in AP mag.

Amateur Photography has reviewed the Kr this week and given it 86/100 - Very Good, which is actually a respectable score.

I was however puzzled by their resolution test in which it only achieved 20 on ISO100 (JPG) (24 on RAW which they claim is impressive.) which isn't brilliant at all compared to others they have tested at 12Mp. Yet I was under the impression the resolution and sharpness of image was one of the high points of the K-r. Certainly the article commends its IQ and lack of noise. I can only assume from this that the K-R does substancial smoothing when creating jpgs.

They also comment on the vary natural yet bright colours of this camera.
Apparently though, those that buy it must be "younger more techno-savvy" as that is the market audience, So if you're over 50 and bought a K-r you must be youthful at heart!

Overall a good review with Feature, WB,and dynamic range all getting 9/10

Woody

01-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #2

wink

Photo Review Australia - Pentax K-r Review

Regarding JPG smoothing on the K-r: I turned off all noise reduction on mine and do it exclusively in post-processing now - The mag may have left it at it's defaults. I think it's makes a real difference, as I can more closely examine the noise on a large monitor, as opposed to relying on the K-r LCD alone. Then, I decide exactly how much noise reduction I wish to apply per photo. Also, they may not have tuned the sharpness and fine sharpness settings of the camera they were testing.

If they just used the kit lenses - while pretty good - then they wouldn't have gotten the resolution and sharpness the camera is really capable of.

When I first got my K-r, I wasn't too terribly impressed with the sharpness of the images it was producing either, compared to those from my Fujifilm S200 EXR. Granted, the S200 EXR is 'top of the class', as far as Super Zooms go, and it's been properly tuned to get the most out of it. However, it's not a DSLR, and I was expecting much more than that from the K-r.

A few weeks later I bought a SMC Pentax-A 50mm 1.7 prime for the K-r. Wow! Talk about a completely different story! I've never seen images so sharp and clear until now!

So, you see, the lenses used during the test would very much effect the outcome.

Kind regards

Last edited by 1 Snap Music!; 01-26-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: had more to say
01-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
Amateur Photography has reviewed the Kr this week and given it 86/100 - Very Good, which is actually a respectable score.
Where did you found the review? I didn't...

Equipment Reviews - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

Last edited by ursamajor; 01-26-2011 at 10:49 PM.
01-27-2011, 01:17 AM   #4

Original Poster
Ursa, it's in this weeks copy which I bought at a newsagent, sometimes their website doesnt show it until a bit later.

woody

01-27-2011, 02:21 AM   #5
Banned

No problem, I'm just curious, because in the reviews I read (and were not few), nobody said about front focus issue in artificial light, especially in tungsten. Weird, isn't it?
01-27-2011, 04:10 AM   #6

Original Poster
Nope, they dont in that one either
woody
01-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Resolution (detail) and sharpness is not the same thing. If it was sharpness they tested, it is meaningless to test JPEG, since this depends on the camera settings. Pentax usually sets the default value lower than other manufacturers, resulting in a more neutral image (which I personally prefer).

Also, what lens did they use for the testing? This will obviously have a big influence on the results.

These reviews are usually so-so, but at least it is good that Pentax is getting some exposure.
01-31-2011, 04:46 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
No problem, I'm just curious, because in the reviews I read (and were not few), nobody said about front focus issue in artificial light, especially in tungsten. Weird, isn't it?
Ursa, at the risk of getting criticised for ignoring the issue (as you've done to everyone else who has responded to your many posts), the FF issue is clearly not a uniformly serious issue for every users (or reviewers, it seems). It is simply wrong to assume that, because a few people (including me) have been troubled by the issue and raised it here, that everyone is troubled by it or even experiencing it. How many thousands of K-r cameras have already been sold and of those, what proportion of users are complaining?

You have made your point quite clear: you are not happy with your camera. There is no need to clog every single forum thread with your dissatisfaction. It is becoming very boring. Please give it a rest.

Kind Regards,
David

01-31-2011, 05:19 AM   #9
Banned

I don't see what is your problem. If you're happy with your Kr, very good, just ignore me... I believe that a FORUM is a place where you can speek freely and say your opinions. That's just I'm doing and I have arguments too, unlike my critics.
From those "many thousands" how many are registered to a photo forum? If you consider they as a representative sample, you'll see there are nearly 50% who have complained , so it's a serious issue. Why have not we heard anyone complaining of Kx?
01-31-2011, 11:51 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
I don't see what is your problem. If you're happy with your Kr, very good, just ignore me... I believe that a FORUM is a place where you can speek freely and say your opinions. That's just I'm doing and I have arguments too, unlike my critics.
From those "many thousands" how many are registered to a photo forum? If you consider they as a representative sample, you'll see there are nearly 50% who have complained , so it's a serious issue. Why have not we heard anyone complaining of Kx?
I'm not denying the problem exists, nor your right to raise it. My point is that you have raised it, quite clearly, and there is little be gained by raising it again and again. It's hard to ignore you when your posts pop up on virtually every K-r thread I read. And even that wouldn't be a problem if more information were being added, but it isn't. Anyhow, now I've made my point I will do as I say and shut up about it myself.

Kind Regards,
David
02-01-2011, 01:33 AM   #11
Banned

Maybe after my repeated complaints you'll enjoy problem-solving by Pentax. Again, I behave like a customer, have you something against?
02-01-2011, 02:41 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by djb21au Quote

You have made your point quite clear: you are not happy with your camera. There is no need to clog every single forum thread with your dissatisfaction. It is becoming very boring. Please give it a rest.

Kind Regards,
David
Seconded. I too have had this same conversation with Ursa. The problem exists. Ok. When there is something new to post about it, like an update from Pentax fine. Otherwise it's very boring and additionally puts off other buyers. Yawwnn.

woody
02-01-2011, 03:40 AM   #13
Banned

I have a vague suspicion that Pentax will not solve the issue with a firmware update. They would have done until now. And the fact that others are bothered is not my business. When I don't like something I simply ignore that.
02-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #14

@ursamajor: no, they would not have done so until now. You don't take the risk with a firmware update to make things worse, not with a camera where you can't even expect people to be able to do the upgrade by themselves. Even Microsoft with automatic updates take their time before they roll out an update. Even if we assume that Pentax is aware of the problem since the beginning of December, I would be suprised to have a firmware update right now. And given the reports from people, the problem might be different with different K-r's - so you don't want to risk that by fixing the broken ones you actually break the good ones... and please stop linking to the dslr-forum survey - even there nobody would argue that the 50% number has any meaning at all!
02-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #15
Banned

I don't believe from 40 years in Santa Claus. I don't believe in a solution for each one Kr. It isn't possible. Or all, or none. (I assure you that through the "happy" users you will find many FF Kr's. Many of them said "they can live with FF".)