Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #1

Nikon d5000 or Pentax kr

I hope I can get some useful comments & impartial advice to my problem. Just as I had done all my research on the Pentax kr and was about to buy it the Nikon D5000 was thrown into the mix by a couple of people & now I am back to not quite square one. What I would like to know is has anybody got personal experience of one or preferably both cameras & which is the better of the two & the best value for money. Many thanks in advance. I really like the look of the kr & feel I will probably buy it but just need a little more help to make the decision.

01-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by padraigr Quote
I hope I can get some useful comments & impartial advice to my problem. Just as I had done all my research on the Pentax kr and was about to buy it the Nikon D5000 was thrown into the mix by a couple of people & now I am back to not quite square one. What I would like to know is has anybody got personal experience of one or preferably both cameras & which is the better of the two & the best value for money. Many thanks in advance. I really like the look of the kr & feel I will probably buy it but just need a little more help to make the decision.
I used to own a Nikon D60, I enjoyed it a lot. Great help and menu system.

I ended up upgrading to a K-r, it is fantastic (and should blow away the d5000 on a number of levels). With the Nikon cameras, they tend to limit the features/capabilities in certain areas to get you to upgrade to one of their other 7-8 models. Pentax basically has two cameras so the K-r is loaded with features.

Built in anti-shake, built in compatability right out of the box with old film lenses back to the 1970's and with an adapter back to the 50's! I am LOVING being able to use old lenses on my new camera. Plus Pentax is different and there is a great community here and lots of people who love taking photos and using esoteric old film lenses. Its great

Nikons have great ergonomics and menus and such and of course take great photos. But for me the K-r was the way to go. No regrets
01-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #3

The k-r is the better camera. It will give you better iso performance and a better AF system.
01-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be aware that the D5000 does not have a screw drive. This will limit the number of lenses that you can use with auto focus, especially all the great "D" series lenses they make.

01-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As always, a lot of this comes down to subjective issues. I looked closely at both and tried them out with the kit 18-55 lenses, then rated them this way before opting for the K-r:
ergonomics ... Pentax because it just fits my hands so well (but the 5000 pivoting LCD is great and the hard buttons are marginally better positioned)
operation ... Nikon Nikon just makes damn good cameras and everything works intuitively and easily (and since both cameras require menu diving, Nikon menu is better)
overall image quality... Pentax Pentax is sharper out of the box, and has a better "look" and color, although Nikon is perhaps more balanced and harmonious it didn't seem to pop (the Active D-Lighting is much better than the Pentax system and I only wish Pentax could come closer on this one)
high ISO ... Pentax, but then there isn't anything that can touch it at anywhere close to the price
lens ... Pentax, but only marginally, and no so much that it's really that critical an issue
image stabilization ... Nikon, it's heresy I know because the sensor system is so integral to Pentax performance, but I've found lens-based systems have more range and having the stabilized image in the VF is a real plus, although it means limited lens choices and increased cost/weight,
video... I don't use it so didn't evaluate it
Brian
01-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
As always, a lot of this comes down to subjective issues. I looked closely at both and tried them out with the kit 18-55 lenses, then rated them this way before opting for the K-r:
ergonomics ... Pentax because it just fits my hands so well (but the 5000 pivoting LCD is great and the hard buttons are marginally better positioned)
operation ... Nikon Nikon just makes damn good cameras and everything works intuitively and easily (and since both cameras require menu diving, Nikon menu is better)
overall image quality... Pentax Pentax is sharper out of the box, and has a better "look" and color, although Nikon is perhaps more balanced and harmonious it didn't seem to pop (the Active D-Lighting is much better than the Pentax system and I only wish Pentax could come closer on this one)
high ISO ... Pentax, but then there isn't anything that can touch it at anywhere close to the price
lens ... Pentax, but only marginally, and no so much that it's really that critical an issue
image stabilization ... Nikon, it's heresy I know because the sensor system is so integral to Pentax performance, but I've found lens-based systems have more range and having the stabilized image in the VF is a real plus, although it means limited lens choices and increased cost/weight,
Brian
and prices of lenses... PENTAX
01-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
and prices of lenses... PENTAX
It is a good idea to check the prices of the first 3 lenses you think you might want.
You can buy good third-party lenses for either brand, so those prices are about the same. Both brands have budget and expensive lenses, as well.

01-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It is a good idea to check the prices of the first 3 lenses you think you might want.
You can buy good third-party lenses for either brand, so those prices are about the same. Both brands have budget and expensive lenses, as well.
For the lower end Nikons there is no AF motor and no Anti shake, both of those (plus the Nikon label) add up to pricier lenses than the non HSM/OS versions.
01-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you intend to eventually buy some lenses, flashes etc, you should really consider the entire system, not just the single camera, as several others have pointed out. Nikon and Canon are generally better when it comes to accessories, but Pentax has some unique features, mainly its prime lenses and the in-body image stabilization.

Nikon actually has several good, consumer level lenses with image stabilization. For instance the 18-105mm, the 18-200mm and the 70-300mm. However, the higher-end lenses for Nikon are extremely expensive.
01-29-2011, 05:36 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Brian
I think this is a fairly balanced evaluation. There are definitely pluses and minuses to having a sensor based shake reduction. I personally get a lot more benefit from Pentax's shake reduction than I would from Nikon's VR, because I shoot a lot with primes. As far as I know, Nikon doesn't even offer any primes below 100mm with VR and VR seems add quite a bit of bulk and price to each lens.
01-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #11

Compare the Nikon D5000 vs Pentax K-r

I love this site. It helped me choose the k-r over the t2i. Although in the comparison the t2i seemed to tromp the k-r when you look closely the popularity/local availability issue and the 1080p video are really high scoring factors and neither mattered to me.

The above comparison shows why the k-r is a better choice.
01-30-2011, 12:15 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
PS: Don't you (all) think it's strange the evolution of Kr's price? It almost reached the Kx's price... Weird and dubious, isn't it? For a camera with more features...
That's the way it goes with most technology.
01-30-2011, 02:39 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you for all the information however the info on this thread is getting a little too technical for me at this stage, it would be great if people could post some pics of the good & bad (if any) of this camera. I am coming from a point & shoot background & this is my first taste of DSLR. I have been researching the kx for quite a while & it is only in the last week that I discover the kr was the update of the kx. I have looked at & held the kx & it felt right so I feel the kr is probably right for me. I know I am now babbling but the camera I am looking for is a good all rounder with good video recording & excellent at taking sports shots. I am not really interested in going down the route of camcorders any more & have been more than happy with the quality of video from my point & shots over the last few years.
01-30-2011, 08:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Padraigr, I would like to apologize on behalf of my compadres here for completely taking your thread in a total different direction.

Guys, this person is contemplating a purchase, and I think this heated debate of the FF issue (in which I am a common participant) should be held elsewhere.

Padraigr, there was a link on the previous page to Snapsort.com:

Compare the Nikon D5000 vs Pentax K-r

Snapsort is a great resource when comparing cameras. But it's really just a surface comparison, and you really have to look a bit deeper. For instance, the D5000 gets a plus for better low noise/high ISO, but it only goes to ISO6400, so that's somewhat irrelevant.

As has been stated, when you purchase a DSLR, you're committing to a system. The system as a whole needs to be evaluated as part of the decision. Pentax has wonderful, lovely prime lenses, but they're not cheap. Nikon has some fairly inexpensive fast primes for low-light, but they're not stabilized, which you generally need in low light. Nikon has a better flash system. Pentax has built-in SR, and the Pentax Limited primes are some of the best lenses ever. If you're amenable to manually focusing, there are treasure troves of old K-mount lenses at garage sales and flea markets. I think Pentax gets the nod in ergonomics, the Nikons just don't match my hands well.

Now, the K-r has a known issue with focus accuracy in tungsten light (indoors). It has been beaten to death and is brought up at every corner. I have the K-r. It does front focus in tungsten light. What that means is that the thing you're trying to focus on is a little out of focus because the camera is actually focusing a little in front of that point. But for all the other features of the K-r that I love, i can live with and deal with this issue. Other cameras have the same problem.

I hope your questions get answered and you end up with the camera that fits you best.

Edit: Sorry, dragra, didn't see your apology in the previous post...
01-30-2011, 08:20 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I was going to close this due to a couple of posters turning it personal and hostile, but I'm getting really tired of doing that, so I decided to just prune the posts instead. Closing otherwise useful posts because of a few posters doesn't seem fair to those who have the maturity and/or self restraint to keep it civil.
Hopefully everybody can take a hint here.