Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Interesting effect with UFRaw 0.17

So apparently UFRaw 0.17 doesn't support the K-r. I haven't checked for an update...

But when you open a PEF from a K-r with it, you get a very interesting effect. It caught me offguard, but I actually think it's pretty cool. This was the first raw file I touched, and it just so happened to be the perfect sort of shot for the effect.

Attached Images

01-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Absolutely!
01-28-2011, 06:33 AM   #3
Banned

Change the format to DNG and you'll not have surprises anymore. Even Lightroom has problems with PEF.
01-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Does the K-r do compressed DNG? The reason I always used PEF was for the compression.

01-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What does compression get you?

Jason
01-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
kwv

I'm trying to get version .18 to build on my computer now. Checking the source, it doesn't look like anyone has submitted WB presets for K-r yet.

Given the +6mo release cycle, it might be good to submit those, before .18 becomes official
01-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
What does compression get you?

Jason
The ability to store more files on a card. With my K10D, I want to say the DNGs were ~15MB and the PEFs were 8-11MB.

But I just checked the K-r with a PEF and DNG of (roughly) the same scene. The PEF is 11.2MB, the DNG is 11.7MB, so looks like they're doing compression now.
01-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep it's fun to shoot PEF sometimes and process the with UFRaw...see the color distortions you achieve...
[IMG]
[/IMG]
Here some sepia but "with limited range of colors" effect .

01-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I think the camera .DNGs are losslessly compressed (less storage on card/keeping them around plus faster copying over to the computer ). With ufraw (0.17) I sometimes get pink stripes in the pictures (DNG, k-x, k-5). A newer version might help, but compiling it is a bit of a pain (especially for Windows), I was meaning to try it for Linux where I at least have the C compiler installed but apparently there is/was some sort of a problem with the source repository yesterday (it didn't want to let me log in as anonymous, it seems).

Last edited by jolepp; 01-28-2011 at 09:14 AM.
01-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
I think the camera .DNGs are losslessly compressed (less storage on card/keeping them around plus faster copying over to the computer .
As far as I can tell, yes, that is the case. I probably should have specified that they were losslessly compressed. On the K10D, the DNGs were not compressed at all.
01-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
The ability to store more files on a card. With my K10D, I want to say the DNGs were ~15MB and the PEFs were 8-11MB.

But I just checked the K-r with a PEF and DNG of (roughly) the same scene. The PEF is 11.2MB, the DNG is 11.7MB, so looks like they're doing compression now.
Ok, I thought that was the case. I never really bought into the idea of PEF since DNG seems to be the simplest, more universal option and prevents having to convert to DNG anyway. Being that both flavors are the very same info, the idea of compression due to smaller size is irrelevant with the dirt cheap price of speed, memory and storage these days. 5 years ago, I may have thought otherwise.

Jason
01-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
I was meaning to try it for Linux where I at least have the C compiler installed but apparently there is/was some sort of a problem with the source repository yesterday
what distro are you using?
i'm using arch and got UFRaw's latest version....no problems...PEF does that strange eefect and DNG works out fine. (i use a Kx).
01-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
what distro are you using?
i'm using arch and got UFRaw's latest version....no problems...PEF does that strange eefect and DNG works out fine. (i use a Kx).
Tried it with Ubuntu. I was able to find ufraw 0.17 (the newest release, I think) through ufraw's home page (the distro had 0.15 if I recall correctly). The problem is a thin pinkish stripe of garbage on the right edge of the picture. Happens only occasionally, but with both the Windows and Linux 0.17 versions. I guess I should report it as a bug with a sample picture, but it would be nice to try the latest and greatest ufraw first, which is where I got stuck.
01-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm using 0.16 right now and i have no problems like the one you describe...
Maybe the 0.16 can be found in the testing repositories, and the 0.17 possibly on the experimental ones...i don't know their denomination for ubuntu but try by just adding testing or experimental in sources.list, then in aptitude update the package list and look for the UFRaw packet, you'll probably find 0.16 or 0.17...
(gotta upgrade )

Last edited by Coeurdechene; 01-28-2011 at 12:12 PM.
01-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
Yep it's fun to shoot PEF sometimes and process the with UFRaw...see the color distortions you achieve...
[/url]
[/IMG]
Here some sepia but "with limited range of colors" effect .
You could use the Cross-Processing feature, in which the user has some more control and predictability!