Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 11:57 PM   #1

Using Raw

Colleagues,
I would like to use the raw format rather than jpeg. I am documenting paintings and prefer to work in TIFF for reproduction reasons.
When I shoot RAW i lose the white balance info and low light compensation etc in the image on screen. The manual says the info is available, how do I access the info that was created in camera and used to generate the jpeg but is not visible immediately in the RAW image?
thanks
mt

01-29-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
Banned

Are you talking about K-r's RAW, PEF or DNG? Maybe when you transform the RAW in TIFF you loose the Exif. The Exif is embedded in the RAWs. So, if you use a conversion software, choose to save Exif too.
Check with PhotoME and see that the infos are there.

Last edited by ursamajor; 01-29-2011 at 04:28 AM.
01-29-2011, 04:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mturner Quote
Colleagues,
I would like to use the raw format rather than jpeg. I am documenting paintings and prefer to work in TIFF for reproduction reasons.
When I shoot RAW i lose the white balance info and low light compensation etc in the image on screen. The manual says the info is available, how do I access the info that was created in camera and used to generate the jpeg but is not visible immediately in the RAW image?
thanks
mt
It may be time to look to Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3 for easy access and management of the deveopment from raw images. I have a Mac, and Camera Raw 6.something (whatever the latest is..) Perhaps a trawl on the Adobe website might help, I'm not sure what, if anything, Pentax's own software might do, i just dont use it.
01-29-2011, 04:30 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In terms of temperature used for white balancing, it's best to refer to your camera's settings for it - unless you use auto WB, in which case only the camera's preview mode will give you the info you need. Once you upload to ACR, then the programme starts with its estimation on the best settings for the image, and you lose the original settings - unless you indicate to PS that you want all defaults to remain in ACR editing mode.

01-29-2011, 05:54 AM   #5

Original Poster
using raw

thank you for answers - will set about understanding what I am seeing and applying it
cheers
01-31-2011, 04:33 AM   #6
Forum Member

I'm shooting RAW(DNG) + JPG, with the JPG set to just 6MP. That way, if I need it, I have the JPG file will all that auto-stuff recorded. Can't say I need it often though. I use Aperture for RAW conversion and file management and it's a breeze.
02-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #7

Original Poster
thankyou

have succeeded in saving images out of pentax utility as dmg and using camera raw in photoshop cs4 to do some work that satisfies me
thanks for all the help
:-0
mt