Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Is it me or is it the camera?

I received a replacement K-r just two days ago and started taking a few pictures today. The first was a morning glory, in the shade, using AWB, and the purple morning glory turned blue in the camera. I changed the white balance to shade and then post-processed to get it near the actual color (using RAW and JPG). The same flower with my Olympus E-PL1 using AWB actually showed as a pretty accurate purple.

Later, I took a quick set of photos of a piece of art work in our living room, using just the ambient light from outside (but not direct). No trouble at all with the ISO or anything like that, but the white wall became a brilliant pink using AWB. So, I started eliminating possible causes, changing the metering options (from multi-segment to center, which helped just a little), removing the UV filter (no difference at all), changing focus points, RAW and JPG, shade or other white balance settings (which, while having some effects, did not solve the pink problem), etc. Somewhere in all of this, I took out my Olympus E-PL1 again and took a couple of shots, again using AWB, and the white wall was ... white.

I guess I could call the K-r and kit lens optimists, seeing the world through rose-colored "lenses," but that is not much consolation. I must be missing something obvious.

01-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't have the K-r but AWB is the last you use to judge colour. Do MWB and see. For best results, you need to shoot some ColorChecker with RAW and do some camera calibration in LR or ACR, if that's what you use.
01-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
It was the AWB with indirect sunlight

Manual white balance solved the problem, even with a +1 change to blue.
01-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
Manual white balance solved the problem, even with a +1 change to blue.
Good outcome. Sad that you had to resort to that though, when your Olympus didn't need any tampering to produce correct results.

.R.

01-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
The quality of light

....must change more significantly than I can see it. I went back to the same spot, but 4 1/2 hours later, with the seemingly same ambient indirect light and the same camera settings that had finally produced a white background. Now the whole background is a striking yellow and I can't quite seem to find a good custom setting. (Maybe the camera is giving us a hint about the quality of the white paint, or a suggestion that we need a little more color in the room!)
01-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Shoot in DNG/PEF and then adjust in post processing? I don't really have much care about white balance, but I have to say the K-7 has been better at it than any other camera I've ever had.
01-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yes, I'm shooting DNG. Post-processing in Aperture and can get it pretty good, but it still seems stunningly inconsistent. I never have seen differences such as these from the same camera in very similar light, and light that is usually easy to handle. I just tried my Fuji F20, and it handles the lighting much better.