Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-R remote advice please

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have had a quick look at previous posts via the search facility and not found the answer so I hope this is not a duplication.

Please can some one who has a remote for the K-r tell me from what angles and what distance the receiver will "see" the signal, as I gather there is only a forward facing receiver?
[this relates to having the camera on a tripod some distance away from me to take wildlife photos close up rather than using a tele lens.]

Apart from the Pentax IR remote are there other more economical versions [cheaper] available that experience has shown to work?

thanks

01-31-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I haven't used a remote on my K-r yet, but there are definitely cheaper ones available. I have both a Pentax remote C and a Jianisi brand Chinese thing, and the range on the knock-off is way better. (I realize this may be simply due to battery strength.)
01-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
Forum Member

eBay offers many "universal" type remotes, which can be used for a variety of cameras. Most have "sets" or buttons, such as two for Pentax, another pair for Canon, etc. Yes, the F-r has the front-facing receiver, and while I don't know the exact angle that the remote would be useful, mine has a fairly wide range for angle and quite a reasonable distance range as well. You should be able to find these universal remotes on eBay for just a few dollars.
01-31-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a K-R (yet), but I had a K-x and a K-7. I'm guessing it works the same throughout all the cameras. Anyhow, I also have used the Pentax remote F along with a chinese universal remote. Either remote works fine, but you need a clear line of site to the sensor which is contained on or near the grip. In other words, using it from behind does not work.

01-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Banned

I use an universal chinese remote Jue Ying RC-4. Works fine on my Kr and it worked too on my Canon 350D.

Sorry for the russian link, I didn't found another, rapidely: беспроводной пульт ДУ -300 руб для фотоаппаратов :: Форум :: Клуб Foto.ru
01-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #6

Hello. You surely have several remotes at home: try them. In my case, the remote from an Sony audio system works just fine (only one key though). It works from about 7 m at the rear of the camera (in spite of the fact that the receiver seems to be in the front). My camera is a k-x but I supose it is similar in the k-r. Regards

Javier
02-01-2011, 03:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thats what I thought but the remotes i have for tv ect dob't activate the camera at all

02-01-2011, 05:01 AM   #8
Forum Member

I have something like that with my K-r:
Remote Control for Pentax K20D K-m K-7 K-x K-r K-5 on eBay (end time 20-Feb-11 12:18:13 GMT)

Works great (only two top buttons work), and I bought it for ~Ј5 including shipping.
The only difference with mine is that mine has "Sony.KM REMOTE CONTROL RC-4" written on it.
02-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok thanks every one, I just bought a "cheap" one and will see how it works.