Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #1

How to get Pentax Colors for K-r (and K-x)?

I've been owning Pentax DSLR since K100D, followed by K10D, K200D, K20D and K-x recently plus now K-r. Several times tried to move to other big brand and always went back to Pentax again and again. A happy and proud Pentax owner, surely

However, something that's always been haunting my mind since owning the K-x is that I lost that 'Pentax Colors' (whatever it named) straight from the camera. I used to make my friends (other big brands users) envy with the images - colors & contrast - I shoot right from the camera. I am a JPEG shooter, by the way.
Surely it can be adjusted in LR, but realizing that I have to spent more time doing it has been quite annoying.

I've been playing around with every default setting (Bright, Natural, Portrait, Landscape & Vibrant), change the Hue or even the White Balance. Still, those pinkish or magenta and cool color cast is there. Added by oversaturated (in my opinion) Blue and Red/Orange color that I always need to adjust by doing post processing.

So, could anyone advise what is the experience in setting the camera to get similar result as previous Pentax (especially K100D)?
Thanks ..

02-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #2

i used to have a pentax k-2000 and certainly the k-r color doesn't match it (although i slightly prefered the k-r)
Anyway, what i have noticed is that my previous camera underexpose a little, wich somehow help to boost color and the white balance on the k-2000 was warmer, so try to set your auto white balance to something like a+2 and underexpose to -0,7
02-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion. Setting the white balance quite works for me, at least for the moment.
Still wondering, though, why not many comments on this.
And also, why I should do this adjustment, instead of leaving the setting as provided by the factory default, something that I've been accustomed with those previous pentaxes of mine (K100D, K10D, K200D & K20D).
02-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sekul Quote
i used to have a pentax k-2000 and certainly the k-r color doesn't match it (although i slightly prefered the k-r)
Anyway, what i have noticed is that my previous camera underexpose a little, wich somehow help to boost color and the white balance on the k-2000 was warmer, so try to set your auto white balance to something like a+2 and underexpose to -0,7
Agreed. I always underexpose either -.5 or -1. It seems to cool down the saturation while still making the colors "pop." Well, this works in RAW anyway.

02-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Funny... I prefer the default settings on my K-r over my K10D. But then I guess I prefer more mainstream saturation and contrast. (i.e. overdone)