Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #16

Well the good news is there is NO noticable issues (I checked dust testing and no areas identified).
Also the camera body was wrapped in bubble wrap so the cap was inside that bag.

I bought it with 18-55 Pentax kit lense only.

Some initial impressions....

I already have iST DL with Tamron 18-200 lense.
1) Focus is MUCH faster and locks on quickly (compared to my above setup).
I tested this with kit lens AND Tamron both worked great.
No front-focus issue that I can see but I have not done careful observation.
2) No date setting lost as discussed in other threads.
3) The serial # is 3797xxx
4) The night SCN HDR takes really nice pictures at handheld in dim lights (tends to use very high ISO though).
5) Took flash picture in auto scn mode and it used 6400 ISO (odd, I thought 400 OR SO would be better...)
5) I like the burst mode (will be handy at my son's baseball games).
6) I miss the top LCD, just a little, back screen makes up for that.
And with LiIon battries it should last long...
BTW: I got cheap less than $10 battery from following eBay store.
D-Li109 Li-Ion Battery for Pentax K-r DSLR NEW DLi109 - eBay (item 290513308146 end time Feb-14-11 13:03:59 PST)

7) Feels great in my hand and menus buttons are all easy to understand.
8) Even with my Tamron lense it feels well balanced.
9) In most auto mode you can't turn off the flash, though if I put on Wirelss Flash mode it kept it off :-)

I will upload samples in few days...

Robert

QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote
That is unnerving, I have hear Pentax doesn't do the best job with packaging...

This is my first DSLR, so I have no clue about dust, but I have heard from friends that cleaning a sensor is just something you should expect to have to learn sooner than later.

Let me know what you think as soon as that battery gets charged...

Did you get the 2 lens kit? if so, 200mm or 300mm?

02-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
A couple sample photos, straight out of camera jpegs

Attachment 82714 Attachment 82715

Attachment 82716 Attachment 82717

Last edited by mp29k; 03-05-2011 at 03:12 PM.
02-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks good to me. Love the Dane.
02-08-2011, 04:50 AM   #19

Hi nice shots...

02-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #20

congrats and welcome on board!!!
02-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #21

sweet shots by the way!
02-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Hello,
New K-r owner here.
Wanted to say hi and thanks for the great forums. I helped me decide to sell my Sony SLT-A33 outfit and move back to a Pentax K-r.
Learned photography on a K1000 way back in the day and have owned both a K-7 and K-x in the past.
So far I am loving the K-r and have not noticed any issues.
I purchase the red K-r with 18-55mm kit lens
Serial number begins with 385xxxx
Also ordered a Sigma flash (due to arrive today).
Will be grabbing a A-50mm 1.7 soon then a zoom lens.
I look forward to learning more from the experts here and improving my photography skills.
02-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #23

Hi and welcome Rob. I'm curious why you swapped back fcrom the a33, I was under the impression it's a nice little camera?

woody

02-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
Hi and welcome Rob. I'm curious why you swapped back fcrom the a33, I was under the impression it's a nice little camera?

woody
Thanks woody.
I switched from the Sony for 2 main reasons.
First is the better high iso performance of the K-r and second the better shot speed.
While the SLT-A33 shoots 7 frames a second, it can only do so for about a 1.5 burst cycle before the buffer is full.
The K-r can burst for a longer period before needing to dump the buffer.
With regard to the high ISO performance, the K-r is much better than the Sony.
The Sony would require me to process anything about ISO 3200 to the point of 'plasticizing' the skin of my subjects.
The K-r (so far) has not needed as much reduction in post.
Also there were more hot pixels with the Sony, but that could have been my specific sensor.
I did like the EVF and the phase-detect live view autofocus on the Sony.
The video functions of either camera don't even make it on my radar so I did not mind going from 1080p/60i to 720p.
02-09-2011, 04:44 AM   #25

interesting. I was considering the a33 myself, I was stunned by the speed of the AF on it, but it felt small and unbalanced in my hands, also extremely plasticky - especially the kit lens.

woody
02-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #26

Forget the cap when I had a kr it always fell off,from what
I read on this forum I don't think pentax does a very good job on quality control either,good luch with it.
02-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #27

sample pictures...

Here are some pictures I took.
I really like the low light hand-held shots (going from iST DL this is much better with SR and high ISO performance).

Robert

Some notes on pictures:
1: Bangles etc... Hand held shot. Good colors.
2: Table lamp : I think this was HDR, hand held.
3: Scn mode Surf-Snow: I think camera did very well capturing harsh light/shadows.
4: Scn mode Surf-snow: Frozen driveway :-)
Attached Images

02-13-2011, 02:33 AM   #28

Hi all I am also thinking of getting the kr & am even more impressed with the comments I have read on this thread. I have a couple of questions, the kit I am planning to get includes the 18-55mm lense & the 55-300mm lense & I am wondering does anyone have any opinions on the 55-300 or has anyone any experience of it. I am planning to use the camera for general use and also for football matches my son plays in & I want to get in good & close to the action. I was also wondering about the video recording ability of the camera, I currently have a point & shoot Sony dsc h20 & have no experience of DSLRS
02-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #29

Hi Padraigr welcome onboard. Others will be able to tell you more then me about th 55-300 lens, but I have been assured it is a cracking lens to have. I gather it's not the fastest ( I have no idea about sports use with it) but I gather the IQ is excellent and is very versatile. Certainly as part of a kit it is superb value.
woody
02-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by padraigr Quote
Hi all I am also thinking of getting the kr & am even more impressed with the comments I have read on this thread. I have a couple of questions, the kit I am planning to get includes the 18-55mm lense & the 55-300mm lense & I am wondering does anyone have any opinions on the 55-300 or has anyone any experience of it. I am planning to use the camera for general use and also for football matches my son plays in & I want to get in good & close to the action. I was also wondering about the video recording ability of the camera, I currently have a point & shoot Sony dsc h20 & have no experience of DSLRS

Hey Padraigr,

I have the kit you are referring to and I can tell you that the 300mm lens is great for action shots. I shoot golfers in tournaments and I capture a lot of mid swing shots with that lens from a distance as to not disturb the player and it works great. I got mine only a week ago and I have used it several times now for action shots and it performed quite well. Also once you are focused on a distance small adjustments are only needed unless they come very close to you so the lens does not need to hunt very much.