Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Max JPEG = 5MB...?

Just got my new k-r the other day. Nice camera, and I have a lot to learn.

Is there a relationship between mega pixels and jpeg size? My wife's cheap (and older) camera takes pictures that are around 5 or 6 MB in size. My new Pentax appears to have a max jpeg size of 5 to 6 MB also.

Any way to increase that? I'm at the maximum value of "3 stars" already. I've got a 32G memory card, so space is not an issue.

Reason I ask is that I photograph a lot of detailed things like engine components and wiring behind instrument panels, and the ability to zoom WAY in to examine details (sometimes years after the fact) is a common usage for me.

Also, I just plain wanted to get a nice camera for vacations and stuff.

Thanks for any advice.

- Pat

02-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shoot raw if you want to preserve the maximum number of details. And yes, jpeg size scales with resolution.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The exact file size is not directly relevant.

* If you want to keep/save the full image details, you must shoot in RAW and save the RAW file.

* If you prefer to shoot JPEG, the Mpixel size of the shot is important. I suggest that you use JPEG 12 Mp, to minimise any distortion/recomposition of the image by the JPEG 'routine'.

With my K-7 (14 Mp), i tried all combinations of JPEGs from 14 Mp to 2 Mp and from 4 stars [****] Premium to 1 star [*] Good. My preference is 14 Mp 2 stars [**] which gives me (a) some excellent resolution and (b) file sizes smal enough (for my use). When I want more details, I shoot RAW+.

Hope that the comment will help...
02-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You can only really compare JPEG file sizes if they're of the same thing. Take a JPEG shot of a plain wall or a clear sky and watch how small the file is!