Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2011, 02:43 AM   #1

Strange behavior with 1:1.4/50 manual lens

Hello there

I am having problems using that lens and the Av mode with my Kr.
Most of the times my pictures are blurred as if I was shaking while shooting. I've tested it with a tripod and gladly for my health there are blurred too

The thing is that I did shot some very sharp images with it but can't figure it how

Example, the first picture is on M mode, F 1.4 1/15" - Iso 200 and the second one using Av mode, 1/13" Iso 200

With the Av mode, it seems that I can't control the shutter speed (?)

Can someone be kind enough to tell me what setting should I set for the green button on the Kr ? Numerical preview or numerical filter or ...

Many thanks for helping me as my head start to ache !
Cheers
Bernard

02-04-2011, 02:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As you can see, the second one is not blurred due to shake, but the focus is not on the vase, but on the ring on the left. So, the error is one of focusing.
Note that the DoF of f1.4 is very thin.
Try focusing in live view.
02-04-2011, 03:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
Good point Thanks!
But I think that I did focus on the vase though... didn't finish my coffee yet

As for f1.4 it was for the first picture in M mode but I agree it's quite thin. As far as I understand in Av mode shoots are taken wide open.

Any clues on what option is best for the green button ? In Av mode if I click on it nothing happens.
I have read quite a few about it but it was always for another camera than the Kr which I think may have different menus.

Cheers and thanks again
02-04-2011, 04:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Green button works in M only.
It makes the lens stop down, measures stopped down, and then opens up. When you shoot it is closing the lens again.
In Av the lens is always open regardless what you set on the lens. Green button does not do anything here.
So, if you want to shoot fully open I would use Av, since it is measuring automatically.
Stopped down use M, but note that the metering is not very accurate. You should check the histogram, too.
M lenses are for slow photography, but they are nice to work with, very small and light an optically excellent.
If you are on a tripod I would recommend to use live view for focussing by all means.

02-04-2011, 04:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for that.
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Green button works in M only.
It makes the lens stop down, measures stopped down, and then opens up. When you shoot it is closing the lens again.
Green button has no effects here in M mode, but the +/- button seems to do the job.
In Av the lens is always open regardless what you set on the lens. Green button does not do anything here.
So, if you want to shoot fully open I would use Av, since it is measuring automatically.
Thank you for that information.
Stopped down use M, but note that the metering is not very accurate. You should check the histogram, too.
M lenses are for slow photography, but they are nice to work with, very small and light an optically excellent.
If you are on a tripod I would recommend to use live view for focussing by all means.
As you said, M lens are for slow photography ! And I am surely glad that I can use my old 1975 lens on that Kr. When a picture is good, it can be brilliant.

I have tried to shoot few shots being sure of focusing on the vase and some shots are good, on others it seems that the ring was more in focus ?

Cheers
02-04-2011, 05:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only difference between the two shots is that the second one is focussed differently - on the ring. There's no significant difference in shutter speed between the two shots, and the shutter speed is a bit low for hand held shots.

Here's a run down on the green button:

USING M or K LENSES:

In the 'custom' menu:

'Using aperture ring' - set to 'permitted'.
'Green button in manual' - set to 'Tv Shift'.

Now with the camera in 'Manual', simply pressing the green button will set the correct* shutter speed for whatever aperture you have selected on the aperture ring.

*Although it has to be said it's not 100% accurate 100% of the time!
02-04-2011, 06:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Here's a run down on the green button:

USING M or K LENSES:

In the 'custom' menu:

'Using aperture ring' - set to 'permitted'.
'Green button in manual' - set to 'Tv Shift'.

Now with the camera in 'Manual', simply pressing the green button will set the correct* shutter speed for whatever aperture you have selected on the aperture ring.

*Although it has to be said it's not 100% accurate 100% of the time!
On the K-r in M mode, the Av +/- button will set shutter speed. Customizing Green to do that is redundant. I suggest using Green for Digital Preview instead.
02-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you all folks, things gets a little clearer in my head now

Another question, what would suggest in replacement for my DAL 18 55 that came with the kit, not a bad lens but coud be better. I already own that 1:1.4 / 50 mm lens and A F1:4 / 200 (both Manual.) I was thinking of Pentax DA 17-70mm f4 AL (IF) SDM which could be a good all around lens ?

Thanks for your input.

02-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #9

You may try a tamron 17-50 2.8.
I used to have the nikon version and at least my copy was excellent.
09-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
wax
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your problem is that you have to input the correct lens focal length.
I have the Pentax K-r, a smc M 50mm f1.4 and smc K 135mm f2.5. Sometime ago, mounting the 50mm I forgot to change the focal lenght, on the menu, from 135mm to 50mm, and all my shot got blured. For an instant I was on panic, but trying some settings I discover that large focal length on short lenses produce that effect on pictures.

I hope this work for you
09-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
on the second test shot using a tripod had you disabled the camera shake setting if not you may have a false result.hope this helps you with the problem.
09-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian

You might try to leave auto focus on and select center focus point that way when your subject is in focus the red led in the finder will light and you can see what you are focusing on. The camera will not focus the lens but will it tell you when the image is in focus.

Hans
09-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It'll do that in manual focus mode too, there's no need to turn on AF with manual lenses.
09-18-2011, 11:50 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks folks .
I think that the blurred was mostly due to the DoF...

Have managed to find an A f1:1.4 50mm lens so its all ok now
09-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #15
Inactive Account

You may want to use Catch In Focus if you want to ensure a good focus using that lens