Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
But please don't swallow the bullshit pill that old lenses are plentifiul cheap and like manna that falls from heaven, and especially the fantasy that owning and living with Pentax is a less expensive photog's life excursion than other brand platforms might be.
Oh dear so they are not plentifully cheap?

We all enjoy a good meal of Myths & Urbans at times and they definitely flow abundantly around here; but the cold hard reality is that, humans are humans and we all spend the same sum total of our disposable wherewithal on our beloved "toys, habits and compulsive obsessive addictions" as we would have done if our choice had had some other silly name stamped on its prominent shiny bits.
Actually if that were completely true I would not be going with a Pentax but with say a Canon or dare I say a Nikon.

It just becomes a different composition makeup of accessories and acquisitions, extra lenses mostly, depending on the platform one chooses.
Canon and Nikon owners tend to the less (in number) is more, craving for and acquiring only a few albeit more expensive 'legends' like 14-24, 70-200 2.8 IS, maybe a TS-E, whatever; while typical Pentax owners trend toward placing their lust in a few sacred must-be-Pentax-brand primes, supplemented by collecting hordes of fleaBay vintage manual stuff, adapting it if needed, the more cult and 'peer approval' brownie points it gets for them the better.
Actually for the time being I am going to make due with the kit lenses and after that perhaps I will get either a true macro lens or the Raynox DCR-250 and then perhaps a good third lens.

We humans are like books, you only need to read a few to have read the lot.

I still like the "collectively worth $75.00 at a flea market or yard sale" statement though -- that's very poignant to the Pentax strategy for some.
Shutterfinger: What Your Choice of Camera Says About You

Have fun with your K-r anyway, or maybe a s/h K-20?/K-7? "Pro" model for similar outlay might fit your dreams better?

.R. -- trying not to live this dream.

02-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JTWilson37209 Quote
You'll learn, Grasshopper.

Actually if that were completely true I would not be going with a Pentax but with say a Canon or dare I say a Nikon.

Ps: Although I knew that golden rule, I still didn't make the right platform choice for myself!
Thought I'd save money by buying the "cheep-seats" ticket to the Pentax drama queen show. Ha Ha. Did I learn the hard way.

So you're not alone... like I said, all about the game of being human...

And I suppose you've heard that other rule that says: The poor man always pays twice. ?

Actually for the time being I am going to make due with the kit lenses and after that perhaps I will get either a true macro lens or the Raynox DCR-250 and then perhaps a good third lens.
Raynox is Good Thing™. Tip: If you intend to get only one make sure it's the right choice, ie. the best one that's suited for the lens[es] you intend it for.

I got a 250 first, then quickly found that so many things would be better suited for a 150 so got that too.

.R. -- the one who's old enough to know better but still too young to resist...

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-07-2011 at 12:23 AM.
02-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster

Ps: Although I knew that golden rule, I still didn't make the right platform choice for myself!
Thought I'd save money by buying the "cheep-seats" ticket to the Pentax drama queen show. Ha Ha. Did I learn the hard way.

So you're not alone... like I said, all about the game of being human...

And I suppose you've heard that other rule that says: The poor man always pays twice. ?
LOL actually one of my favorite shirts growing up had a grasshopper on it. I already know from looking around at different lenses that the "best" ones are not cheap at least from the ones I have found on the net.

I looked at Nikon's and well I must confess I was turned on by the D90 but not by the price which included kit lenses. Again I was turned on by Canon T2I with kit lenses but as with Nikon the price turned me off. I have done a lot of research and several different reviews for the K-X and K-R were favorable and I was turned on by the price point for the camera which included the kit lenses.

So the Pentax is not the right platform for you?
02-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

So the Pentax is not the right platform for you?
Not really. I've just had to severely bend my photographic intentions, totally abandon some, and to learn to live with what's left.

Just like you will have to. And enjoy it to the hilt. Cameras can't look back so why should we?

And never be ashamed of only owning kit or unpopular lenses, it's what's produced out of the business-end that counts.
Images are never judged for their greatness on any part of the equipment used. Except by dorks.

.R. -- "Photography is only an accessory for reflecting real life experiences, it is not real life itself and can never reflect real life beliefs."

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-06-2011 at 08:52 PM.
02-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Not really. I've just had to severely bend my photographic intentions, totally abandon some, and to learn to live with what's left.

Just like you will have to. And enjoy it to the hilt. Cameras can't look back so why should we?

.R.
Well now one thing I am learning in this adventure is: it is not the camera that takes the picture but the person that is behind the camera. Now it does not hurt to start out with a good camera and lenses but those do no good if one does not learn as they take pictures.
02-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #21
Forum Member

Well now one thing I am learning in this adventure is: it is not the camera that takes the picture but the person that is behind the camera. Now it does not hurt to start out with a good camera and lenses but those do no good if one does not learn as they take pictures.
I totally agree with JTWilson that it is the person behind the camera. The best equipment available cannot make up deficiencies of a poor photographer.

That said, I admit that I'm a new photographer. I'm still learning and enjoying every minute of it. However, my husband has been shooting with Pentax since he was a young boy. He is retiring this year, so that gives you an idea how long he has been more than satisfied with Pentax!

He upgraded last year to a K10D and gave me his *ist DL. So begins my journey. However, he has interest in low light images. We began much research and he was torn between the K-r and the K-x. He finally decided on the K-x due to its superb write ups on low light photography.

All I can add to this discussion is to research like crazy before deciding on a camera. Once you make your decision, don't second guess yourself and ignore rude posters!
02-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #22
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In this era of digital SLR photography, well over 90% of photographic determinants are in the hands of the photographer. So enjoy the K-r and your photography. Less hair splitting and more shooting!
02-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
Ursa is no better then a troll on a mission.
Who is the troll? Me, who have the camera (and tested it), many others who have the same problem, you, who haven't the camera and talk from memories (see below his reply from another thread) or some who have it, but are ignoring its issues?
...far from a fanboy, I shoot Fuji...
Unfortunetly some people like Ursa will try to convice you never to buy a pentax...
Read carefully my message and you'll see that I never said this... Sorry, but the troll you are.

JTWilson, do a translation and read some open mind opinions on other forum. You'll see better what the ff issue is and decide knowingly. I registered that forum just for a legitimate question and see the answer I received:

Why that guy is so sure that my replacement would have the ff issue? Because only some copies of Kr have it? I let you guess alone.

Some will say you to manual focusing in poor conditions, like I used to do 30 years ago, with the old film cameras. Be aware that poor conditions are even in daylight, when the light is not so low, in which case my old (sold now) Canon 350D was able to manage.

My friend, I don't want to persuade you not buying a Kr. I just want to warn you that you could be unhappy. The final choice is yours. Anyway, allow me to give you an advice: buy the brand your friends have already. You'll borrow some lenses from they.

PS: please read this thread, where our wise friend discovered (helped by me, "the troll") the ff issue at his camera, after claiming it's perfect.
PPS: as you can see, I'm more documented than my critics, who just know to name me troll without arguments.

Last edited by ursamajor; 02-07-2011 at 02:09 AM.
02-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
re cheap lenses: No, the really good older ones are not plentiful, because people tend to hang onto them once they find and purchase them. I've looked on ebay many times, to see whats there, and come away disappointed because there's not much... not in my part of the world. However, there's a healthy marketplace right here on Pentaxforums so maybe from time to time a decent one will come up. Adorama and B&H also have secondhand stuff, and periodically you might see something decent. However, be aware that there are those who hang out on those sites and snap good stuff up in the blink of an eye.

All that said, there's no reason to hesitate at the idea of buying a K-r. The kit lens is very decent, and for what you pay for a K-r + lens, you'll get an awful lot of bang for your buck, as opposed to entry-level Nikons and Canons. In other words, you'll tend to pay a lot more *to get started* for those brands. When speaking of lenses in Canikon terms, you'll also tend to pay a lot more for their really good lenses (of which there are very many) than you will for Pentax or third party K-mount lenses.

I chose to go with Pentax initially because of the startup cost. I've chosen to stay with Pentax because contrary to my initial intent (to only use zooms), I'm now buying prime lenses and loving them. I'm keeping my original K200D and loving the K-r. Both now have a place with me, the K200D for its weathersealing, and the K-r for a whole lot of other good stuff

I think you need to be clear on what you want the camera to do for you, and what you want it for. You do also need to hold it in your hands (and the others you considered as well) and make sure that it feels right. Because if it doesn't, there's nothing that will induce you to use it (this is something I learned the hard way when I was buying other cameras to use when I wanted something to cart about when not feeling inclined to carry a dSLR - I now have four non-dslr cameras, three of which need to be sold off, because I just don't use them)

Whichever you choose in the end, enjoy the heck out of it
02-07-2011, 08:28 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

JTWilson, I was in your same position a month ago. See here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/129565-k-r-my-cart-but-w...uto-focus.html

Bottom line, I was convinced by several people that the FF issue was a defect and only present in some units. I do NOT believe this to be true. As far as I can tell, the Pentax K-r front-focuses in tungsten light by a significant margin. That being said, I AM keeping my K-r. The low-light is fantastic, the focus speed is great. And the FF issue can be worked around if it is known.

First off, it only seems to be a problem in actual tungsten light. Most of my house is lit by CFLs, but I get generally the same WB as tungsten with them. But I get only minimal FF. In one room, I have a chandelier with actual tungsten bulbs, and the FF is quite pronounced there.

Second, it's not going to be that bad with the kit lens. Most of my indoor shots are at f/1.4, which makes it a lot more noticeable.

If the light is so low that the AF assist beam activates, focus will be spot on.

You can use live view and contrast-detect AF to work around the issue.

And finally, if you must use shallow DOF in a tungsten-lit room, purposely focus behind your subject. Focus on their ears, or focus and lean forward before releasing the shutter.

Many people will scoff at this as a workaround for a brand new camera that costs hundreds of dollars. But for me, it's only one room in my house, and I can live with it. Hopefully, Pentax will release a firmware update soon so I can stop doing that dance. But until then, I'm fine with it.

---------------

I got a 250 first, then quickly found that so many things would be better suited for a 150 so got that too.
I'm in that same boat, except I don't have a 150. But the 250 sure is a bit too strong. I really don't do that much macro though.
02-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
JTWilson, I was in your same position a month ago.....
I second that. And now, a month later, I am a proud k-r owner. I am having a lot of fun with my father's helios 44-2 and the kit lens. I also have front focus under tungsten light, but like lavascript said until the next firmware there are workarounds. Have fun with your camera outside and don't be trapped in your house pixel peeping...
02-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Canon and Nikon owners tend to the less (in number) is more, craving for and acquiring only a few albeit more expensive 'legends' like 14-24, 70-200 2.8 IS, maybe a TS-E, whatever; while typical Pentax owners trend toward placing their lust in a few sacred must-be-Pentax-brand primes, supplemented by collecting hordes of fleaBay vintage manual stuff, adapting it if needed, the more cult and 'peer approval' brownie points it gets for them the better.
Thats about the size of it
02-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Folks, if your K-R is having FF problems or any other issues, please don't "live with" the problem. Either send it back to Pentax Warranty Services or return the camera. If enough cameras go back to the manufacturer, it's more likely that Pentax will acknowledge the issue, similar to what's happened with the K-5. You might be out a camera for a couple weeks, but having a correctly working camera is worth it.

EDIT: BTW, Pentax isn't the only manufacturer with quality control issues. I had a Nikon D7000 with severe back focus that could not be fixed with even a -20 adjustment (Nikon's adjustment scale).
02-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
Folks, if your K-R is having FF problems or any other issues, please don't "live with" the problem.
I live in Macedonia and the local store is not the official importer, the regional headquarters are in Bulgaria, so don't want to be without the camera for 40 days which is the legal time for warranty issues in my country. And if they give me another camera, I will have to wait for another 40 days, because it's likely that it will have the same or worse problem. If I returned the camera in the first 10 days maybe then I would have got my money back. So I read the report from Pentax Germany and Bulgaria from other forum members that Pentax is working on the issue and I don't think I can do much except wait for the fw fix. Until then I operate the camera in live view mode or with the AF adjust to -10.
02-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear that. I would probably return the camera and wait for a better production run. This may be an issue which even firmware cannot fix, but we don't know because Pentax has not officially mentioned anything.