Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
About to get the K-R

I have yet to order the K-R as I am still working out the costs and if I will be getting it from Adorama or from B&H. Now I am beginning to second guess if I should even get the K-R because it appears to be a major issue with FF. This will be my first ever DSLR so I want to make sure I am going to be doing the right thing by going with a Pentax. I would love to get the K-5 but well I am not wealthy.

I guess my question is this:

I am not certain how often I would be taking photos under tungsten lighting conditions so has anyone experienced the FF under normal conditions and keep in mind this will be my first experience with a DSLR. I have currently been using the Fuji Finepix HS10.

Thanks,
Jeffery

02-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
Banned

I advise you to wait at least until Pentax publishes the new firmware (v.1.02) and see if it will solve the issue.
Although some minimizes the problem, I assure you that it is not so.
02-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
I advise you to wait at least until Pentax publishes the new firmware (v.1.02) and see if it will solve the issue.
Okay thanks I will keep this in mind as I stated I have not purchased the camera yet. Now I am wondering if I should even go with Pentax.
02-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
Oh well done pratt. Put yet another buyer off the Pentax brand, then you'll moan Pentax have no money to spend on fututre projects. Ursa is no better then a troll on a mission.

Pay little attention, yes some K-rs do have a small problem with FF under extremly low light in extremly dim circumstances with a wide open aperature at pixel peeping levels. Unfortunetly some people like Ursa will try to convice you never to buy a pentax, Bearing in mind the lack of a future even facing tungston bulbs and the exact circumstances you need to be operating in, it is almost unnoticble in normal use. Both canon and Nikon are suffereing same problems.

woody

02-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
Oh well done pratt. Put yet another buyer off the Pentax brand, then you'll moan Pentax have no money to spend on future projects. Ursa is no better then a troll on a mission.

Pay little attention, yes some K-rs do have a small problem with FF under extremely low light in extremely dim circumstances with a wide open aperature at pixel peeping levels. Unfortunately some people like Ursa will try to convince you never to buy a Pentax, Bearing in mind the lack of a future even facing tungston bulbs and the exact circumstances you need to be operating in, it is almost unnoticeable in normal use. Both canon and Nikon are suffering same problems.

woody
Thanks woody for the information and no he has not put me off of Pentax. I am sometimes the worlds worse at second guessing my purchases. I am not one to spend monies on myself so when I splurge I debate about it an awful lot. It also does not help that monies are tight right now so I am spending monies very sparingly.

Thanks again Woody...
02-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #6

JT, I really am exactly like you, and research things extremly thoroughly, and to be honest rarely have the money to spend on myself, so when I do it's nice to know I've spent it wisely. Look around this and other forums, do your rersearch, importantly HOLD the camera of your choice - I was certain I was going to buy the Sony a33 - till I found it too small and unbalanced in my hands.

The Kr has its problems, and yes FF sometimes, but nearly all modern cameras have faults, canon, nikon, sony, oly all have complaints, but overall the KR truely is superb. Is it best in class? - thats upto you to decide.

woody
02-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The wife and I both bought new Pentax Camera's in Nov. when they were released (K-5 for me and K-R red for her) She has had no problems with her camera and I had the dreaded spots.
She is very happy with her Red K-R and get's alot of comments on her pretty Red K-R.

02-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #8

If you are unsure to buy a k-r because the front focussing issue (mine does not have it, or isn´t very noticable, i dont know) you could check the k-x wiht the 55-300, the price is unbeatable. i saw it on B&H, great store, you can buy with confidence.
02-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
JT, I really am exactly like you, and research things extremly thoroughly, and to be honest rarely have the money to spend on myself, so when I do it's nice to know I've spent it wisely. Look around this and other forums, do your rersearch, importantly HOLD the camera of your choice - I was certain I was going to buy the Sony a33 - till I found it too small and unbalanced in my hands.

The Kr has its problems, and yes FF sometimes, but nearly all modern cameras have faults, canon, nikon, sony, oly all have complaints, but overall the KR truely is superb. Is it best in class? - thats upto you to decide.

woody
I have yet to hold the K-R in my hands due to the fact none of our local stores have the camera. My choice besides a K-R would be the Canon T2I but I can not afford the cost of it.
02-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sekul Quote
If you are unsure to buy a k-r because the front focussing issue (mine does not have it, or isn´t very noticable, i dont know) you could check the k-x wiht the 55-300, the price is unbeatable. i saw it on B&H, great store, you can buy with confidence.
I had thought about the K-X but to be honest a bit more fond of the K-R and yes even with the chance of the dreaded FF issue.
02-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JTWilson37209 Quote
I had thought about the K-X but to be honest a bit more fond of the K-R and yes even with the chance of the dreaded FF issue.
I happen to agree with you that the K-r is the more appealing over K-x, even with the former's Fr.F issue.

It's really a question of what you can live with, long term. Only a fool buys on promise, and there's zero guarantee that any fault, in any camera will ever be rectified.

So the only sensible thing is to weigh up your own balance of features, value and personal priorities, including long term goals and expectations; and make your decisions on all that.

Also, IMhO anyway, Brand is only a valid criterion if it offers a path to a more resourceful future for you.
And "technical superior in X Y & Z" [yada yada...] products are not necessarily "best", that's why they are very rarely winners in the grand scheme of things. The only pissing contest that really matters.

You already know that you're buying into a "system", so I'm sure would probably realise that a platform holding a trivial 2.9% of global market[¹] share could easily be a big black hole of limitations and frustrations ahead. Money isn't always the main concern for waste either, time and commitment investment must surely rate too.

Otoh, even though a DSLR is normally referred to as a system camera, that's really only a "potential" of it. Meaning that there's alsolutely nothing wrong with buying a DSLR (for 'DSLR is choice' sake), just because a certain brand or model happens tick the right, or the most, boxes on your priorities list at the present time; and then, never expand/spend/wa$te on it much, just use it for what it's good at and when ready dispose of it like you would a Point&Shoot purchase -- and move onto a newer model/brand when and if...

No I'm not switching arguments there, just giving you the other side of the coin. Sorry for the objectivity.

Like I said: Your call, it's all about what you can live with.

¹ using analyst's est sales numbers for 2010.

.R. -- the one who loves numbers.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-06-2011 at 05:02 PM.
02-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
I happen to agree with you that the K-r is the more appealing over K-x, even with the former's Fr.F issue.

No I'm not switching arguments there, just giving you the other side of the coin. Sorry for the objectivity.

Like I said: Your call, it's all about what you can live with.

¹ using analyst's est sales numbers for 2010.

.R. -- the one who loves numbers.
Gee thanks now you are having me second guessing this purchase LOL...

About the only other camera I can afford would be the Nikon 3100 but well to be honest not that fond of it. Would enjoy the Canon T2I but can't afford it. I like the features and the price that is offered with the K-R and the potential of having access to older Pentax lenses.
02-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
I have had my K-r for a month. I have noticed some FF issues in low light like others have; however most of my pictures are taken outdoors in natural light. I have not noticed ANY FF problems in these situations no matter what lens I use.
Whether or not you will have any problems will depend on how you use it. I could not afford the K-5 either. I LOVE my K-r, FF and all and I have no regrets buying it.
02-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by riley9 Quote
I have had my K-r for a month. I have noticed some FF issues in low light like others have; however most of my pictures are taken outdoors in natural light. I have not noticed ANY FF problems in these situation no matter what lens I use.
Whether or not you will have any problems will depend on how you use it. I could not afford the K-5 either. I LOVE my K-r, FF and all and I have no regrets buying it.
Thanks for the heads up and I plan on outside and inside shots so will just make sure i have a lot of light or figure out the best way to do indoor shots.
02-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Gee thanks now you are having me second guessing this purchase LOL...
But isn't that why you bothered posting? Or were you just seeking consolation for an already made up mind?

About the only other camera I can afford would be the Nikon 3100 but well to be honest not that fond of it. Would enjoy the Canon T2I but can't afford it. I like the features and the price that is offered with the K-R and the potential of having access to older Pentax lenses.
Yep, that's another quite valid adventure to pursue in photography too. And if you choose the Pentax route you won't be short of like-mindeds here, or on other Pentax platform forums, ever willing to share their Linus blankets with you.

But please don't swallow the bullshit pill that old lenses are plentifiul cheap and like manna that falls from heaven, and especially the fantasy that owning and living with Pentax is a less expensive photog's life excursion than other brand platforms might be.

We all enjoy a good meal of Myths & Urbans at times and they definitely flow abundantly around here; but the cold hard reality is that, humans are humans and we all spend the same sum total of our disposable wherewithal on our beloved "toys, habits and compulsive obsessive addictions" as we would have done if our choice had had some other silly name stamped on its prominent shiny bits.

It just becomes a different composition makeup of accessories and acquisitions, extra lenses mostly, depending on the platform one chooses.
Canon and Nikon owners tend to the less (in number) is more, craving for and acquiring only a few albeit more expensive 'legends' like 14-24, 70-200 2.8 IS, maybe a TS-E, whatever; while typical Pentax owners trend toward placing their lust in a few sacred must-be-Pentax-brand primes, supplemented by collecting hordes of fleaBay vintage manual stuff, adapting it if needed, the more cult and 'peer approval' brownie points it gets for them the better.

We humans are like books, you only need to read a few to have read the lot.

I still like the "collectively worth $75.00 at a flea market or yard sale" statement though -- that's very poignant to the Pentax strategy for some.
Shutterfinger: What Your Choice of Camera Says About You

Have fun with your K-r anyway, or maybe a s/h K-20?/K-7? "Pro" model for similar outlay might fit your dreams better?

.R. -- trying not to live this dream.