Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by leheath8 Quote
I've had my K-r with 18-55 and 55-300 kit lenses for about 3 weeks and this is my first DSLR camera. Here are a couple of photos I took this past week on a trip to AZ for a few days. Each taken with the 55-300mm lens, hand-held, using Av mode and all at 300mm, f5.8 except the last photo. ISO was 800 for first 2 photos, and 400 for the remaining photos. The last photo was taken with the Raynox-150 added to the 55-300mm lens set at 70mm and f5.6. No PP has been applied to any of these - they are all straight out of the camera without no cropping or other adjustments.
Those are some great images. I'm new to DSLRs, and SLRs for that matter, as well and my first attempts are not turning out nearly as well. I have a nice new macro lens to play with tho so hopefully I will be able to get a few interesting pics at least.

Last edited by PastorOfMuppets; 02-18-2011 at 04:39 PM.
02-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #17
Forum Member

Nice frosty morning...

EXIF
02-19-2011, 12:50 AM   #18

Thank you all for your very kind comments! The only jpeg parameter I changed from the defaults is the sharpness (+4, the maximum in camera adjustment) and I am using the "bright" image finishing tone (which is actually the default). I have all forms of noise reduction and "corrections" turned off, and don't apply any filters or other "effects". Shake reduction is on.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Ps; can I please request a favour? Could you take one or two example pics for me using your 55-300 @ 300mm with the Raynox 250 on?
(I've been thinking of a DAL 55-300 but first would love to see how well my 2 Raynox would marry with it.)
Unfortunately, I don't own the Raynox 250, just the 150. I haven't taken any photos exactly at 300mm with the Raynox on, but below are photos taken at 170mm (purple flower) and 260mm (red flower).

02-19-2011, 02:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Thank you all for your very kind comments! The only jpeg parameter I changed from the defaults is the sharpness (+4, the maximum in camera adjustment) and I am using the "bright" image finishing tone (which is actually the default). I have all forms of noise reduction and "corrections" turned off, and don't apply any filters or other "effects". Shake reduction is on.
Hehe, it was just great to see your pics outdo most of the PP-zealot software jockeys. Didn't you know that every image taken these days must be Adobied to Death™ before it qualifies to be a photograph, and the classic cliché spouted on presenting it is: "Minimal PP applied"?

Unfortunately, I don't own the Raynox 250, just the 150. I haven't taken any photos exactly at 300mm with the Raynox on, but below are photos taken at 170mm (purple flower) and 260mm (red flower).
Thanks for the samples, those f.lengths served quite OK to conceptualise. Sorry I got it wrong, you said 150 before and I must have had 250 on my brain.

Judging from those images I don't think you're missing anything only having a 150. In my experience the far stronger mag of the 250 suits short lenses and can be a burden, worse to near useless with longer focal lengths and big zooms like that. Also focus-finding is so much more difficult because DoF naturally dies.

Lots of mag isn't the holy grail in good close-up or macro work, and I for one am very glad for that!

.R.

"Life is made up of a large tragedy and many tiny moments of joy." -- Wei Zhao

02-19-2011, 02:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by torpesco Quote
Nice frosty morning...

Chilling imagery.... you really caught the sombre mood tones in that.

Ps: Your other one of the crispy long grass bought back not so fond memories of when I was an ankle-biter, having to walk through that on winter mornings with bare feet was numbifying.

.R.
02-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #21
Forum Member

I bought my 1st DSLR Canon 1000D for Christmas, sold and then traded for new K-r this week. Testing SMC Pentax-A 50mm f2 lens here.
Attached Images

02-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I picked up my K-r for Christmas, its my first SLR -and today I picked up a used FA 50mm 1.4 so I fiddled a bit with it. Man its dirty (/wince)

ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/6000 sec
Aperture: 4.0
Focal Length: 50mm

Exposure: 1/20 sec
Aperture: 1.8
Focal Length: 50mm
No tripod there

Below is DA 50-200 - I did some PP in Gimp per instruction from another forum on "how to shoot the moon"

Exposure: 1/200 sec
Aperture: 10.0
Focal Length: 200mm

Last edited by mattt; 02-20-2011 at 04:30 PM.
02-20-2011, 01:52 AM   #23
Forum Member

just a quick snap unmodified kit lens kr

Attached Images

02-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #24
Forum Member

Attachment 84183
View Picture EXIF
Name:  Deeder02.jpg
Views: 4523
Size:  223.1 KB
View Picture EXIF
Name:  Rolllins_Windmills04.jpg
Views: 4512
Size:  174.8 KB

Last edited by mp29k; 03-05-2011 at 03:12 PM.
02-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote

[No details provided...]
3/3 to mp29k for those pleasureable viewing pics. All are fantastic in their own right!
-1.25 points deducted for not providing any basic story or details about them. Tsk tsk!

Or am I alone in finding that aspect from a photog just as interesting?

.R. -- Every story tells a picture too...
02-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #26

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I like 'em.....
Attached Images

02-20-2011, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #27
Forum Member

Does a 5 year old qualify as a newbie?

Today, I was running around the bushes holding my K-r and 50-200mm shooting sparrows. My 5 year old started raging me that he wanted to take a pic. I told him this is not a toy. He didn't stop pestering and started crying. Well, I thought let's try. I switched to liveview and we saw a little sparrow on roof top. Even for the 200mm, it was out of reach for focus on live view. I tried for a minute and couldn't focus. No way.

Then, I switched to viewfinder and asked my little one if he could see the sparrow in the frame of 50mm. He said yes. I zoomed in to 200mm and he said he can see the sparrow in the middle. I told him to half click and then full click! Voila!

Below is a cropped image as the sparrow was so far, but still this came out sharp. Not a great picture, there is actually nothing in this one but goes on to show how a 5 year old can shoot sharp pics on K-r.
Attached Images

02-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
3/3 to mp29k for those pleasureable viewing pics. All are fantastic in their own right!
-1.25 points deducted for not providing any basic story or details about them. Tsk tsk!

Or am I alone in finding that aspect from a photog just as interesting?

.R. -- Every story tells a picture too...
I'll Bite. All photos taken with 55-300mm DAL kit lens (love this lens!!)

Pic #1:
Just a cloe-up shot of some neat lichens on a tree, I think the snow adds a nice feel. I l also liked the color rendition, sharpness, and composition right out of camera. (It's probably front focused, but I don't care ) No PP at all, just reduced the size of the camera jpg using Fastone (Bright default with shapness at max)

Pic#2:
Taken of an old home in Burlington, ME. I liked the detail, and just took a snap.

Pic #3:
This is from the top of Rollins Mountain in Burlington, ME. First Wind windmills that have not gone online yet. There was a crude sign announcing that the road was closed, but we took our chances. My 76 yo grandfather sees them on the hill daily as he drives to town, and wanted to see them up close. I have lots more photos of the equipment, the rotors, and more closeups.
02-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I picked up my K-r for Christmas, its my first SLR -and today I picked up a used FA 50mm 1.4 so I fiddled a bit with it. Man its dirty (/wince)
There is (was?) a gentleman named Eric who lives in TN and could probably clean that lens for you. He did wonders on my A50 1.7 for around $40-50. I used to find him under the links section but that page is no longer where I thought...this place is constantly changing but maybe someone will post or you can try searching.

Excellent shots by all!
02-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bogiesbad, thanks for the tip. Turns out to punctuate my Newbiness, the lens isn't half as bad as I thought, but atmostpheric conditions were more precipitous than I had realized. yes.. snow. Who'da thunk it in Feb in Toronto.

I'd love to know where the green in Kostadinov's cucumber salad went!