Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 3drives Quote

Does a 5 year old qualify as a newbie?

Today, I was running around the bushes holding my K-r and 50-200mm shooting sparrows. My 5 year old started raging me that he wanted to take a pic.

.....snip.....

I told him to half click and then full click! Voila!
Excellent. Yup, 5 year olds are people too, they sure do qualify!

So, does anyone still disagree that the Story behind a Photograph is a really interesting part of it?

.R.

02-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #32
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Chilling imagery.... you really caught the sombre mood tones in that.
Heh... It actually was a beautiful morning, but we were back in the shade under a bunch of trees, and the sun stays rather low in the sky in the winter.

Ps: Your other one of the crispy long grass bought back not so fond memories of when I was an ankle-biter, having to walk through that on winter mornings with bare feet was numbifying.
You're kidding, right? Sounds brutal...
02-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote

Pic #3:
This is from the top of Rollins Mountain in Burlington, ME. First Wind windmills that have not gone online yet. There was a crude sign announcing that the road was closed, but we took our chances. My 76 yo grandfather sees them on the hill daily as he drives to town, and wanted to see them up close. I have lots more photos of the equipment, the rotors, and more closeups.
Thanks.
That #3 especially intrigued me. You chose a good lowish position to take it from. I loved the way the huge towers look so omnipresent, dominating the eerie mist of the hillside -- and the tall crane in the right of the frame indicated the site was still in build state.

Fwiw: I actually intend (sortof a plan) to attack a farm of 128 turbines with the Pentax weapons soon as. It's only a coupla hundred Kms up the street and should be able to get close enough to several of them. The big big hope is that for some of the pics I would really like to capture the essence of it, the motion of the blades.

Got any ideas, helpful hints or experience trying to do that with similar typical slo-mo subjects?

Yep, early sunrise/late sunset times is an option that I'm quite willing to factor, even through the night if needed. Also been thinking that I probably should plan to fit the visit in with maximised moon phases too. Does that make sense, think it might help?

I don't have any strong searchlights, like those vehicle fitted ones; but have thought something like that might be a real cool accessory to own for noctural pic taking activity, incl. turbine nacelles and blades. Like a Mega long distance flash to provide a bit of concentrated highlighting during longer exposures.
Anyone out there ever used those type of lighting for rural nights photo work? TIA.

(No didn't mean using tungsten globes )

.R. -- This one's working out more to be a true Type A adventure.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-21-2011 at 06:18 AM.
02-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #34

Great idea for a thread! Us newbies can now post our shots and compare them with other newbs without being all self conscious

Great shots from those who've posted so far. I particularly like leheath8's....well done!

02-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by leseven Quote
Great idea for a thread! Us newbies can now post our shots and compare them with other newbs without being all self conscious

Great shots from those who've posted so far. I particularly like leheath8's....well done!
Thank you very much!
02-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #36

Some great shot here guys, Kudos to you all for posting.

To sort of echo and build on a comment Hypocorism passed earlier, it really is lovely to see shots straight from the camera with little or no PP done to them. I personally think far far too much PP is often done on pictures, much of which can be produced by the inbuilt jpg settings anyway.
And dont get me started on the latest trend to overuse HDR to obliterate the natural beauty of nature and substitute it for over-developed lurid eyewatering garish colours dreamt up by by a two year old hyped up on E numbers and Pepsi!

Woody
02-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #37
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Taken last Sunday

These were taken last weekend.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
02-27-2011, 01:40 AM   #38
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
KR with Sigma 70-300 DG APO @ISO 100. F/8, 1/1000th hand held

02-27-2011, 02:30 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nobbys Nuts Quote
KR with Sigma 70-300 DG APO @ISO 100. F/8, 1/1000th hand held
Did you use a CPL or other filter to get that great rich water colour (looks like the Pacific O) and keep the glistening surface reflections of sunshine?

I have that lens too, works well, my only minor complaint is the rotating barrel.

.R.
02-27-2011, 04:28 AM   #40
Inactive Account

Did you use a CPL or other filter to get that great rich water colour (looks like the Pacific O) and keep the glistening surface reflections of sunshine?

I have that lens too, works well, my only minor complaint is the rotating barrel.

.R.
No just a UV for protection. Interesting that you say your barrel rotates as mine doesn't but my brothers DG does.
The water is always that colour at Duranbah yet 30 minutes up the road it is horrible.
Duranbah/Snapper Rocks is where the World Tour surfing is at the moment as seen on One HD.
02-27-2011, 04:43 AM   #41
Inactive Account

A couple of more taken with my Sigma 28-105 zoom though. Again just a UV filter.
Looking down on Duranbah Beach from Point Danger
ISO100, F/8. 1/250th hand held

This one looking north from Point Danger towards Snapper Rocks below and the Gold Coast in the distance.
ISO 100, F/8, 1/500th hand held.

Another from DBah with the Sigma 70-300 DG APO.
ISO 100, F/8, 1/500th hand held
02-27-2011, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #42
Inactive Account

A couple from today with old lenses on inside the house.
All 3 shots have had one pass of Topaz Denoize 5 .
Taken with Pentax Takumar 50mm F/1.7 @ ISO1600, F/5.6 and 1/1000th

Taken with Pentax Takumar 50mm F/1.7 @ ISO1600, F/5.6 and 1/1600th

Taken with Hanimex M42 135mm @ ISO1600, F/8 and 1/400th
02-27-2011, 05:35 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nobbys Nuts Quote
No just a UV for protection. Interesting that you say your barrel rotates as mine doesn't but my brothers DG does.
The water is always that colour at Duranbah yet 30 minutes up the road it is horrible.
Duranbah/Snapper Rocks is where the World Tour surfing is at the moment as seen on One HD.
I suspect that you might have the more expensive Hi.Q one then? (9 blades, with OS built-in, multi-layer super coating, no red band around front). They make 3 in that size, I find it very confusing!

1. Sigma Lens 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro
509109 Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Tele Zoom Lens for Pentax AF Cameras - USA Warranty
2. Sigma Lens 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro
508109 Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Tele Zoom Lens with Hood for Pentax AF Cameras - USA Warranty
3. Sigma Lens 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG OS
572109 Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG OS (Optical Stabilizer) Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax AF Cameras - USA Warranty
(or, .Au retail for anyone interested)
Sigma Lens 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG OS - Digital Camera Warehouse Australia

Mine is the #2 one and it rotates like a bloody power drill.

Sounds like Duranbah must have the ideal sea-bed depths and current paths or undergrowth/lack of (whatever it takes) to make up that wonderful colouring.

Actually it looks real aqua~jade_tinged greenish to me, and at first sight I thought you took it on the west coast (Atlantic), but the sun direction and timestamp in your Exif clues, soon put paid to that wild theory.

That following set you posted really show up the different depths contrasts, shallow green opposed to the deeper blue out further offshore, very well too.

Good stuff, was a surprise to hear you only had a UV on it's nose. Pretty clever decision too I reckon, because it obviously ripped out most of the imposing ugly haze that can wreck pics of seascapery like that.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-27-2011 at 05:57 AM.
02-27-2011, 05:50 AM   #44

I suspect that you have the more expensive Hi.Q one then (9 blades, with OS built-in), they make 3 in that size, I find it very confusing!
I suppose that is not the APO version. Can someone give us more information on this. I want to buy one of these lenses and I was leaning towards the APO DG, which front element rotates on focus and has better sharpness than the other versions.
02-27-2011, 06:04 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nikigo Quote
I suppose that is not the APO version. Can someone give us more information on this. I want to buy one of these lenses and I was leaning towards the APO DG, which front element rotates on focus and has better sharpness than the other versions.
I'm trying to find the info clarified if the OS one rotates or not too, bastards at Sigma website aren't helping much either. Grrr...

See what you can squeeze out of the specs of the 3 here:
Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd

I prefer the APO though for it's handy macro, but think the next up would {should?} be better IQ, although my APO model satisfies me, does drop off a bit at the 300 end of course. (part of the value/features trade off equation with long-telezooms)

The rotation probably isn't a huge deal-breaker, but it does drive me mental knowing it's there so sort of distracting too, plus having to work with it, I happen to be a big fan of CPL. Would also screw up cross-hatch/star filter orientations too.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-27-2011 at 06:32 AM.