Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2012, 06:14 AM   #856

Amazing macro shots guys! can I ask what kit you are using to take them? I am just starting out with Macro, i've got an SMC Pentax-M 100mm macro lens and some cheap extension tubes off ebay. Here are some of the shots i've taken so far with the tubes -

https://picasaweb.google.com/114770491270272169513/201208MacroWithTubes?auth...eat=directlink

I'm after some tips if possible, I don't have a ring flash yet but am planning to buy one soon, I'm finding the lack of light an issue with the tubes on. What sort of aperture/shutter speed and iso did you use to get those shots above? Oh and did you use a tripod? I'm finding it hard to take macros of insects with the tubes and a tripod as the DOF is so narrow I have to keep moving the tripod a little bit to get the focus right. Any tips would help!

Also if you use tubes do you use all 3, I find it near impossible to use all 3, I have to be so close to focus there is no light so I tend to just use 2 tubes.

Thanks,

Alex

08-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #857

Nice pix Alex - I love the B&W eye shot. The macro rig I'm using now is pretty inexpensive. I bought a Sigma 28-80 mm F3.5 - 5.6 Macro II lens for about $50 off EBay. It's a so-so walkaround lens, but it's actually fairly good for macro shots. It gets down to 1:2 at 80 mm in macro mode. It's not the sharpest or highest contrast lens in the world for sure, but those weaknesses can almost be considered strengths for the type of insect-on-flower macro shooting I like to do. I get soft, artistic sort of results, rather than razor sharp studies in entomology, and that's fine with me. :-)

I have tried both extension tubes and cheap macro filter rings to enhance the macro effect even more. I've found you can only push it so far... in other words, with the macro filters, I can use up to a +4 with good results. The +10 provides some impressive magnification but the depth of field is so incredibly narrow as to make it almost unusable. Same with the extension tubes - I can use either of the smaller tubes, but the biggest one (and of course all of them stacked) cuts down your DOF and available light too way too much. I did some comparisons with the filters vs. tubes and it seems to me that for a given magnification, DOF is a little better with the tubes. I'm not sure why that is.

I put the camera in manual focus mode with the focus ring twisted all the way to close-focus. I set the shutter to continuous, 2 frames per second. Focus by slowly moving the camera closer/farther from the subject while the whole time holding down the button so it keeps clicking away at 2 fps. I throw out 90% of the shots when I review them on the computer, but that's fine with me as it's easy enough to hit the delete key. If I go out on a sunny day I can usually set the aperture fairly high (F16) and the camera will pick a fast enough shutter speed to capture the motion as I move the camera around, bugs move themselves, or the plants they are on sway in the breeze. The higher aperture really helps with the DOF problem.
08-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #858

Alex, pretty good pictures. I dont use ring flash either to usless for me, only for macro i guess. Im using 50mm autochinon with somekind of magnifier аnd its work pretty well for me. 2.8 to 5.6 aperature most of time and im using sigma 70-300 apo dg for macro shots too, aint bad at all. Here some samples from chinon and the sigma

Last edited by sakuraki; 09-06-2012 at 02:27 PM.
09-01-2012, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #859

Pentax K-R + kit

Pic from the tropic side of the world....

09-04-2012, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #860
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Okay I'm cheating

I DID take this image with my K-r ... only it is a copy of an image I took in January 1980 with a Petri 35mm SLR and a 50mm lens on Ektachrome 64. Original exposure data unknown.

The K-r was equipped with an Auto Bellows K Slide Copier and a Sigma Zoom Master 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 manually stopped down to f/8. I probably should have dusted the slide before taking the shot....but I was just testing my setup. The Cibachrome print from this slide got me 2nd place in my first photo contest.
Attached Images

09-06-2012, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #861

Awesome white cat! And this is my best friend

Last edited by Parallax; 12-21-2012 at 08:47 AM.
09-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #862
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sakuraki Quote
Awesome white cat! And this is my best friend
R.I.P. You'll note that I took the photo in 1980. Eartha Kitty would be an incredible 33 years old if she were still with us.

Nice Pup! And very nice depth of field. Do you enjoy your friend's singing?
This region (next to Lake Superior) sponsors some of the biggest sled-dog races in the continental U.S. Huskies are a popular breed around here - in fact this breed is the mascot for our local school, Michigan Technological University.
09-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #863

Im sorry for your cat i didnt red it right. Well actually this isnt my dog, my was hitted by car last month and this one is from my brother and still getting use with it . Huskies are popular here too (Bulgaria) but i prefer golden retriver and probably i will get one soon. Ira (my dog's name) doesnt sing to much, probably cuz im new owner for 2 - 3 months. Here picture of mine R.I.P

09-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #864
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sakuraki Quote
i prefer golden retriver
Pets are always hard to lose. You have my condolences. As a matter of fact, our current dog is a Golden Retriever. He appears in the gallery photo I took for last winter's Pentax Day.

Baseball is a summer sport. Harry (the dog) likes to chase baseballs, we have to keep him away during games - - baseball isn't anywhere near as popular in Europe as North America, Carribean, and Japan.
Summer Dreams
09-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #865

09-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #866

Well SCCA Autocross Solo II Nationals was this last week down in Lincoln and since I wasn't racing my car I figured I would lug along my K-r and snap some photos. Aside from leaving early both days I was down there I managed to capture some 500 usable photos of decent quality so I'll pick out some of my favorites and post them here! Lens is the 50-200mm kit lens. Most photos were taken at 1/160 sec. ISO-100, f/8 or f/11 using autofocus and full manual mode.

Second favorite photo from Day 2 and of my favorite class overall! Who doesn't like a class devoted almost entirely (almost) to Mustangs, Camaros, and Firebirds carving corners?

Here is the winner of that class for I think the 4th year in a row. The car is a rare SLP version with a one of 500 motor offered in only these 500 cars... the car is also light weight which is why it keeps winning by almost a full second on each course.

One of our local's car while driving. Owns GotCone.com which is a pretty popular photography page for racing events in the Midwest. David, the driver is a good guy!

Got a little too much blue in this photo that wont come out with the Pentax RAW utility and maintain a decent photo... hindsight! However he is conveniently tripoding. Something this class (G-Stock) is notorious for!

No day is complete without at least ONE Gulf Oil colored vehicle!

And my favorite photo of day 2. Not so much because the car is moving but because the photo is kind of moody. The car IS moving just not very fast as the picture was taken right after he started and hasn't crossed the starting lights yet (milk crate in the background).

It's nice that one of the largest motorsports events in the world (1150 drivers this year) is in my back yard just a mere 45 minutes away. I had a great time and met some good people and got in touch with others I hadn't seen since Spring.

That said, I really find myself longing for a longer lens. The restrictions on photographers at these events are such that if you don't have a spotter you can't go out on course so 75% of the photos I took, and all of them from day 2, were taken from the "Participant" viewing area (Spectators are not allowed... but there are bleachers for "participants" to sit on :P). I only had a spotter for Day 1 and the result was A LOT of panning shots (not always a bad thing) and very few "mid corner head on" shots because the 50-200mm kit lens just didn't quite reach out there far enough to get a good photo mid corner. When I had a spotter it was fine. Shame the budget isn't there yet for a longer lens!

Last edited by Whiskey11; 09-09-2012 at 08:47 AM.
09-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #867

I know the thread is best pictures, but it appears to have turned into first pictures with a k-r, so i'll throw in my two pence:

not had a lot of time to play with the new purchase, couldn't get out so just snapped a few in the garden, only had the car and 1 flower and weeds so shoot with lol
10-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #868

Here are some recent photos I took while on safari in Southern Africa.

Cheetah on the Prowl

Crossed Giraffe

Bushman Men drinking

Proud Old Elephant

Mauritian Sunset (we went to Mauritius on the way back to Oz)

I took them all with the Pentax 50-200mm WR lens. I was pretty happy with it considering it doesn't have the same reputation as the Pentax 50-300mm.
Also here is a link to my 500px account: Smilesy . Please "Like" the photos if you do like them.
Cheers
10-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #869

Nice shots! Makes me want to go on safari!
12-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #870
s4y

Something went wrong in my post above, please delete it..

My first well-made photos