Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's not a bed deal! $5 less than BH and Adorama: Pentax K-r Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 DA-L 14664

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #17

$5 less is usually a good thing but thought this package from BestBuy had the DA lenses not the DA L. They also state in the description these are both QuickShift (a feature I really want) and other notations that make the lenses sound like DA. Would have prefered to order from B&H as they've always been reliable. Guess I'm just ticked the BestBuy description is probably not accurate at all and trying to follow up with them has been frustrating. Not slamming them but am very sad I probably will not get what I was led to believe they were advertising. Thanks for listening!
02-27-2011, 03:15 AM   #18

The lens shown in that offer is definatly the 18-55 DA rather than the 18-55 DA L. It has a green ring rather than a grey one.

I don't know what consumer law is like in the US but here in the UK if you where to purchase the camera from that link and you got the DA L you could sue for improper advertising.
02-27-2011, 05:40 AM   #19
Forum Member

I went through same thing with B&H

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ask-b-h-photo/131795-very-disappointed-b-h.html

I believe there is lots of misinformation from Pentax, to the retailers about the 2 kits. I do not believe there is a chance that your kit will include both DA lenses. I went through similar thing with B&H

02-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #20

Having serious doubts about this too. Am a very careful shopper and read every bit of detail availble in addtion to viewing product photos. This isn't a case where the information is conflicting but rather a case where the same information and specifications are repeated under "What's Included", "Product Features" and overall descriptive information. How many DA-Ls have you seen come with hoods, quck-shift feature or the specs of a DA? (Inserting link again) PENTAX - K-r 12.4-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera - Black - K-r Two Lens Kit

To top it off my order on BestBuy.com is now coming up as not found or unavailable. I might be low on ink in the printer but I do have hardcopy of everything including the oder and the specs listed. Have ordered a fair number of products from B&H over the years and have never had any trouble. Am now regreting not doing business with them this time.

Thanks to all and any advice is appreciated!

Update: Have been in email contact with BestBuy and they state the reason the order is not available for viewing is the order is coming through Pentax and not BestBuy. This seems to point more towards DA-L than DA lenses but am requesting specific verification of the lenses included according to BestBuys specifications.

Last edited by Toads!; 02-27-2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Updated information
02-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #21

According to the picture listed the 18-55 is the DAL, while the 55-300 is the DA. However, the kit is really the DAL version of both lenses.
02-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I ordered the same kit fro Best Buy last year with my wife's K-X and it did indeed come with the DA not the DA-L version of the 55-300 although the 18-55 came as the DA-L. The ad clearly states that the black kit comes with the DA 18-55 AL II and the DA 55-300 with quick shift and hood so that is what they have to send you. If you get the DA-L the send it back and not loss.

I am thinking about buying this kit and selling off the lenses as I am good there already...maybe get me the k-r under 500 this way...hmmmmmm
02-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Toads! Quote
Hi to all,
Hope this didnt double post. Im a forum newbie so please extend mercy. Have been following this thread and have a current order pending with BestBuy for a k-r system. Please follow this URL and see what you think about the product they are stating. Im reading this to mean the included lenses are DA not DA L because of the mention of hoods and case as being part of the included products. Of course Im rather gullible too. Not expecting WR versions in the least but please let me know if Im off-base or reading the product specifications incorrectly.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PENTAX+-+K-r+12.4-Megapixel+Digital+SLR+Camera+-+Black/1627196.p?id=1218274627328&skuId=1627196

Many thanks and am looking forward to being part of this great community!
It's a mistake on their part. K-r kit doesn't come with the DA lenses.

03-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #24

Thanks for the comments and advice to my question. Am staying in contact with BestBuy and they have been very responsive to my request to verify the lenses included as stated on their website. The order is scheduled to arrive on 3/3/2011. Will update after delivery and follow-up if required with BestBuy.

Special note: please read the copy under "What's Included" as opposed to just looking at the product shot.

At this point am acting on good faith with BestBuy and can say they have been very responsive and seem to be commited to honoring the specifications stated on their website at the time of the order. At this point the specifications listed have not changed from the date of my order.

Looking forward to the future with this great Pentax community!
03-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #25

UPS delivered this evening and received the the standard k-r kit box with 18-55 and and 55-300 DA L lenses. Currently in communication with BestBuy concerning difference between what was posted and what was shipped related to included lenses as advertised. Description of items included on BestBuys website has not changed since order date of 2/25/11. All is sitting as shipped after opening outer shipping box. Have requested escalated communication and resolution from BestBuy and so far they are responsive and seem to be acting in good faith.
03-04-2011, 06:39 AM   #26
Forum Member

Good luck! B&H wouldn't honor the advertisement error.
03-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Toads! Quote
UPS delivered this evening and received the the standard k-r kit box with 18-55 and and 55-300 DA L lenses. Currently in communication with BestBuy concerning difference between what was posted and what was shipped related to included lenses as advertised. Description of items included on BestBuys website has not changed since order date of 2/25/11. All is sitting as shipped after opening outer shipping box. Have requested escalated communication and resolution from BestBuy and so far they are responsive and seem to be acting in good faith.
Toads, can you provide an update here? I doubt Best Buy will honor the ad mistake, but would like to know if they do. I had an identical situation with B&H, and it didn't result in me getting the upgraded lens in the end.
03-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #28

Am still in communication with BestBuy and still have an unopened camera. The camera is still fully listed as coming with the DA lenses. The only change made in the description is they struck the hoods out as included items but lens descriptions are still without a doubt DAs. Each individual I've spoken with or emailed with have been helpful but it appears the way the structure is set-up departments have no crossover even though a case number exists. Spoke with them last weekend again and was told to wait until Friday for processing of the case. Received an email confirming a credit had been applied but this was not new information. They closed the case number at that point without addressing the original issue that the lenses advertised were not what were received. Today I called again and have a new case number that has been escalated to a supervisor and am supposed to hear back by Monday or Tuesday.
My frustration is on several levels:
1.The descriptions on BestBuys website repeat in many places in the copy that these are DA lenses with DA lens functions and features (quick-shift, SP coatings, filter windows and prior to two days ago the inclusion of lens hoods.)
2. I made a point of calling and emailing when placing the order that the lenses included were DA lenses and was assured this was correct.
3. This order was placed on 2/25/2011 and while the shipping was very quick I still will not unpack or use the camera until I receive some definitive answer from BestBuy regarding the issue of the lenses.
4. Communication with BestBuy has been frustrating because of multiple contacts points despite having a specific case number and the lack of timely or question specific responses from BestBuy CustomerCare.
5. AND I still do not have a camera that I am comfortable unpacking and putting into use.

I am not trying to take advantage of a minor typo or one incorrect product shot. When the specifications are repeated throughout a product description then that is the product I expect to receive. Some people buying this camera probably would not know the difference between the DA and DA-L but I do know the difference and its a big one to me. If I had known these were DA-L lenses I would have opted to buy the camera body and one DA lens to get started or the basic kit with the DA-L 18-55mm and put the extra money towards a better long lens in the future.

Enough ranting for now but will keep you posted on status. Apologize for the delay but there was nothing new. Come to think of it theres still nothing new.

Hows everyone liking their k-rs so far?

Thanks to all!
03-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #29

You'll save yourself a lot of time and headache by just taking it to the store and getting your money back.