Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #1

planning to buy a K-r, question about the kit lens

Hi there! After several weeks of research, I have decided to get a Pentax as my first DSLR and it will be a K-r. But I find on some sites say the kit lens in the single lens kit is DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR, some say it's the DAL 18-55, while the others say it's the DA 18-55. Can anyone confirm the kit lens model with the K-r?

02-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by huh Quote
Hi there! After several weeks of research, I have decided to get a Pentax as my first DSLR and it will be a K-r. But I find on some sites say the kit lens in the single lens kit is DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR, some say it's the DAL 18-55, while the others say it's the DA 18-55. Can anyone confirm the kit lens model with the K-r?
I believe all the online retailers sell the DA L 18-55 as kit lens to go with K-x or K-r .

I see this is a good price for K-r kit . $740 with DA L 18-55 & DA L 55-300

Pentax K-r Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm & 55-300mm Lenses

Last edited by Ken T; 02-07-2011 at 06:03 PM.
02-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #3

I bought mine in US and the kit len came with 18-55 DA L 18-55 F3.5-5.6
02-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
huh

Original Poster
Buy.com is currently selling the single 18-55mm lens kit for $619 (Buy.com - Pentax K-r 12.4 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera (Body with Lens Kit) - 18 mm-55 mm - Black) , and in the "package contents" it says "Package Contents:
K-r Digital SLR Camera
smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Lens
"
I contacted Pentax and was told below

"The lens that comes packaged with the K-R from PENTAX is the DAL 18-55mm version, the same as with the K-x. With the K-7 lens kit package the the DA 18-55 WR is included. I suggest you contact the dealer and confirm which lens they are including with their package. Buy.com is an authorized PENTAX dealer."

I tried to call buy.com and the lady taking my call spent over 8 minutes with some backend people and finally confirmed that their description of the lens model was correct. I don't think they actually opened a box to confirm that, but given their return policy, I think I am going to bite the bullet and see how it works.

02-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #5

Mine came with the DA L 18-55mm and the DA L 50-200mm.

I may be putting my nearly new K-r in the marketplace soon with a pentax sling bag, the 2 lenses and a manfrotto 679b monopod and qr head. All of which are in mint condition for about $800, i think. That's just a guess but at any rate i wouldn't rule out the used market if your still looking.

Alternatively you might consider just buying a new body and choosing a better walking around lens than the 18-55. I almost never use it as i really like the 50-200. You could probably get the body and a nice 3rd party lens for the same price or at least close as the kit.
02-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Buy.com is currently selling the single 18-55mm lens kit for $619 (Buy.com - Pentax K-r 12.4 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera (Body with Lens Kit) - 18 mm-55 mm - Black) , and in the "package contents" it says "Package Contents:
K-r Digital SLR Camera
"

"The lens that comes packaged with the K-R from PENTAX is the DAL 18-55mm version, the same as with the K-x. With the K-7 lens kit package the the DA 18-55 WR is included. I suggest you contact the dealer and confirm which lens they are including with their package. Buy.com is an authorized PENTAX dealer."

I tried to call buy.com and the lady taking my call spent over 8 minutes with some backend people and finally confirmed that their description of the lens model was correct. I don't think they actually opened a box to confirm that, but given their return policy, I think I am going to bite the bullet and see how it works.
Why would it matter? The K-r is not weather sealed so having a WR lens makes no difference.
02-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
Forum Member

K-r Digital SLR Camera
"

I just got done playing this game with B&H Photo on the 2 lens K-r Kit. Their specifications said it was the DA version of the 55-300 lens, but it came with the DAL. I even called to ask, just like you did. After speaking with managers at B&H, I believe it is safe to assume ALL of the K-r kits come with DAL versions of the lenses, without fail.
02-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
huh

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why would it matter? The K-r is not weather sealed so having a WR lens makes no difference.
Cause I am planning to upgrade to K-5 in the future.

02-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You are wasting your time, there is no way you will be sent a WR lens, the K-r is never sold with the WR kit lens no matter what various desk jockeys at different stores will tell you. Honestly, use some common sense.
02-15-2011, 07:04 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Forum Member

Honestly, do we have to say things like "Honestly, use some common sense." to new DSLR people, or even old DSLR people? If they knew all the answers they wouldn't be here - they'd have made their purchase and be out shooting pictures. Why not just leave the sarcasm for close friends , or just drop it entirely>
02-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I just want to say that I just ordered a K-r with two kits lenses and mine are also the DA L versions. Hope this helps.
02-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
Forum Member

What is the difference between DA L and DA lens?
02-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 3drives Quote
What is the difference between DA L and DA lens?
The DAL is a plastic mount, doesn't come with the lens hood or bag, and lacks the quick shift feature. They are optically identical. I am happy with the 55-300mm DAL, great little lens, and a bargain in the kit.
02-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote
The DAL is a plastic mount, doesn't come with the lens hood or bag, and lacks the quick shift feature. They are optically identical. I am happy with the 55-300mm DAL, great little lens, and a bargain in the kit.
Thanks. I thought the L lens is an upgrade lens like the Canon L series. Good to know, I am fine with plastic as function is important for me. I know when we drop a lens, plastic or metal - it will cause damage.
02-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #15

k-r lens bundle

Hi to all,
Hope this didnt double post. Im a forum newbie so please extend mercy. Have been following this thread and have a current order pending with BestBuy for a k-r system. Please follow this URL and see what you think about the product they are stating. Im reading this to mean the included lenses are DA not DA L because of the mention of hoods and case as being part of the included products. Of course Im rather gullible too. Not expecting WR versions in the least but please let me know if Im off-base or reading the product specifications incorrectly.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PENTAX+-+K-r+12.4-Megapixel+Digital+SLR+Camera+-+Black/1627196.p?id=1218274627328&skuId=1627196

Many thanks and am looking forward to being part of this great community!