Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queensland
Posts: 8
Graduated Neutral-Density Filters

Hi
Hope this in the right section (sorry if not, but my Red K-r & I feel at home here!)

So - I've been reading "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Petersen, and I have some questions about the set up of graduated ND Filters.

At this stage, I wouldn't mind just getting a cheap "Cokin P" style set up via ebay just to play with initially - and this is where I need some guidance please (my head is spinning!)

I take it you need:
an adapter ring for each lens size you intend to use (or just pick your fav lens?)
a Filter holder (are these universal, or again per lens size?)
lens hoods (?)
filters
anything else?
Is it better to buy as a kit or bits & pieces separately?

I would love to hear people's opinions of what they have used, and their experiences, and recommended merchants to buy from.

At this stage - I don't want to spend a lot of money until I experiment a bit with the cheaper version, and then go from there.

Thank you so much o gurus
PS I'm really enjoying this wonderful forum

02-08-2011, 03:45 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,681
Welcome to the forum fellow Qlder.
Keep reading and practicing, you just get better with time and experience.
On Grad ND filters, the only ones I've used are the screw-in filter-ring based Grad NDs - mainly Marumi. These were good - no fiddling, but as the graduated portion of the filter is fixed, it limits you in terms of composing a landscape scene. Your K-r has HDR capabilities, which can assist with those high contrast scene captures.

I'm sure others here can chime in on the Cokins.
Enjoy your time here and your photography.
02-08-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian
kyteflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,315
QuoteOriginally posted by Goldens2 Quote

I would love to hear people's opinions of what they have used, and their experiences, and recommended merchants to buy from.
I started just such a thread, specifically about cokin filter system, and got a shedload of advice and opinion, none of which I've followed because I spent my hard earned on new lenses instead. I'll get there though.

Here's the thread, you should get some good info from there
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/130762-co...er-system.html
02-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queensland
Posts: 8
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Welcome to the forum fellow Qlder.
Keep reading and practicing, you just get better with time and experience.
On Grad ND filters, the only ones I've used are the screw-in filter-ring based Grad NDs - mainly Marumi. These were good - no fiddling, but as the graduated portion of the filter is fixed, it limits you in terms of composing a landscape scene. Your K-r has HDR capabilities, which can assist with those high contrast scene captures.

I'm sure others here can chime in on the Cokins.
Enjoy your time here and your photography.
Hi Ash
Thanks for the welcome
Hope that you & yours are safe & well after all of our 'interesting weather' of late.
Will take your advice on board - big learning curve, and loving it!

02-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queensland
Posts: 8
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I started just such a thread, specifically about cokin filter system, and got a shedload of advice and opinion, none of which I've followed because I spent my hard earned on new lenses instead. I'll get there though.

Here's the thread, you should get some good info from there
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/130762-co...er-system.html
Hi kyteflyer,
My bad! Certainly need to improve my forum searching skills.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction to your thread - yes, good info within
Hope you are enjoying your new lenses.
02-09-2011, 04:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian
kyteflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,315
QuoteOriginally posted by Goldens2 Quote
Hi kyteflyer,
My bad! Certainly need to improve my forum searching skills.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction to your thread - yes, good info within
Hope you are enjoying your new lenses.
Oh, i *am*!!

re the filters... I really only wanted an ND8 and ND400, and I've realised that the lenses I will use them with actually have the same size thread, so I only need one of each. I'm going to buy the screw-in ones, rather than the cokin system.
02-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Hypocorism's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne .au
Posts: 623
QuoteOriginally posted by Goldens2 Quote

At this stage, I wouldn't mind just getting a cheap "Cokin P" style set up via ebay just to play with initially - and this is where I need some guidance please (my head is spinning!)

I take it you need:
...
...
I reckon you're being wise to play the cheap eBay card first. The basics of a "P" Cokin clone system -- a couple of lens adapters, a holder or two, and a couple of squares of different shades or grad to get one out of the starter blocks -- can be got pretty cheap in total and should be good enough for experimenting. (sez me in hope)
Then later some of the bits should be salvageable if you choose to proceed to buy better quality, or genuine brand, filter squares. (more hope)

That's the grand plan I intend to do myself anyway. And if the Cokin system proves crap, there's always Lee to move onto before too much moolah is wasted.

Although I already have 3 excellent slim CPLs (yeah costly, whew!), round screw type filters are just soooo limiting and I'd like to expand into ND and Grads too. Modular just reeks creative there, which appeals more to me.

Unfortunately good filters aren't cheap either way, so you have to plan to maximise their versatility even into the unforseeable (unless one has bucketloads of that stuff our Govt keeps throwing around to the rich and rorters.)

Anyway, good luck in your quest, In initial researching I found no better than the Cokin website, it answered most Q's for this noob about how it all bolts together and what's available:
COKIN Creative System - The Holder System

.R. -- Where can I buy spam and bullshit filters for my camera, just like the ones we all use on the Internet?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, filters, k-r, kr, lens, pentax k-r, stage
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice needed for graduated neutral density filter zerodaze Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 8 04-09-2010 11:19 AM
Graduated Neutral Density Filter Options sharko Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 06-25-2008 02:19 PM
Problem with Graduated Neutral Density Filter camperguy01 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 2 06-03-2007 11:07 AM
For Sale - Sold: 58mm Filters: B+W Graduated Neutral Density, Step-Up Rings and More GaryML Sold Items 0 05-02-2007 08:48 AM
Graduated Neutral Density Filters nighthunter Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 04-09-2007 11:48 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:04 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top