Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #1

is k-r battery sold on ebay ok to use?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

just wonder since they cost less than usd 15...

02-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #2

The one I have seems to be fine. I've been using it for about two weeks now, alternating with the oem battery.

I bought this one, and the charger they sell, which can be used in the car, or on mains power.
02-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rlw1138 Quote
The one I have seems to be fine. I've been using it for about two weeks now, alternating with the oem battery.

I bought this one, and the charger they sell, which can be used in the car, or on mains power.
I am wondering do you have to buy the changer for it or will it charge with the charger that comes with the camera.
02-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery

I bought the same one. I haven't used it very long but it seems fine so far.

02-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I bought two of these, and I see no problems with them. Made an offer, and he countered with $6.99. Can't beat that crap.
02-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sort of on topic.

Does anyone understand what sequence the single indicator LED on the original Pentax charger is supposed to follow?

When I snap in a low/depleted Li-Ion (either genuine or eBay), it sometimes shines green for about... 10-30 secs and then goes off. Other times it glows for a long time, then switches off at some point later. (I give up counting)

There is no flashing or colour change like most chargers do.
Basically, it doesn't seem to have a consistent way of indicating if in draining>charging cycle, and then indicate when it's finally completed.

How long, exactly, is one supposed to leave it on for a full recharge?

So far I've been using my multimeter on the battery for proof if anything really happened.

???

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-10-2011 at 12:17 AM.
02-10-2011, 02:35 AM   #7
Forum Member

The green light should stay on while charging and turn off when charging is complete.

02-10-2011, 06:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

I bought the same one. Both the battery and the charger work fine. I haven't tried the 12v car option though.
02-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #9

I have extensivly used 3rd party batteries on both of my cameras, and all of my professional Bosch power tools. I have never suffered any down side or noticed any real difference in their use.
There is "apparently" an issue with cheap chinese li-ion batteries not containing the relevent thermal cutout safety circuitry, according to an indepth american gov report I read, but I have never encountered it, nor heard of anyone who has after several years of buying them.

woody
02-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by JTWilson37209 Quote
I am wondering do you have to buy the changer for it or will it charge with the charger that comes with the camera.
I am wondering the same thing. Can you use the existing Pentax charger? Anybody that have this battery already tried this yet?
02-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #11
Forum Member

I charge mine with the charger that came with the camera. No problems.
02-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote

There is "apparently" an issue with cheap chinese li-ion batteries not containing the relevent thermal cutout safety circuitry, according to an indepth american gov report I read, but I have never encountered it, nor heard of anyone who has after several years of buying them.
Was that the issue deemed to be the final root cause of the famous self-immolating Notebooks fitted with Sony batteries drama?

.R. -- Who's waiting 'til we get millions of cars frantically 'charging' down our streets loaded with 200 kgs of Lithium bomb, just a different type of accident looking for some place to happen...

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-10-2011 at 04:31 PM.
02-11-2011, 02:15 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Was that the issue deemed to be the final root cause of the famous self-immolating Notebooks fitted with Sony batteries drama?

.R. -- Who's waiting 'til we get millions of cars frantically 'charging' down our streets loaded with 200 kgs of Lithium bomb, just a different type of accident looking for some place to happen...
I believe so in essessence, yes.

The car issue is becoming reality, several well known companies are trialling cars with them. BYD(China) is the worlds largest producer (also a car manufacturer) of li-ion batteries, and is producing cars to run on them. Panasonic and others are also very heavily involved in mass production for cars.
However, the cost of the batteries is so great they will be built into the cars, with a non replacement life expectancy of approx 150k miles life. Dont expect the cost to come down yet, as the cost of the ore used to produce them is vast, and cannot easily be extracted at a higher volume/rate to reduce costs. Most comes from Bolivia, with argentina and chile close behind.

They are becoming safer with new electrodes which helps prevent meltdown, but as you say, when built into a car who needs IEDs?

woody
02-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #14

you should be fine with them, but if you're considered spend the extra money on the official one. however as long as I see that it works for people, I'm more than happy to pocket the huge savings and use an off brand one.
02-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought the K-r replacement battery from orphanbiker on ebay for less than $10 and am very happy with it. It charges on the charger that came with the camera and its performance is easily comparable with the OEM battery - I don't even notice which one is in the camera. I have had the new one ~3 weeks and shoot a lot.