Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-16-2011, 04:56 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
abcdave, The reason people buy a DSLR is only for low light shots. In outdoor shots, a point and shoot is also good, if not great.

Anyway, I have read arguements by those insist there is a FF problem that testing on batteries, candles is not enough, FF will only show on the focus chart. For me, if my camera focuses on batteries and candles well, that should be enough.

02-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #17

I have to say that I'm very disappointed to Pentax and my K-r. My camera has very bad focusing issues (especially indoors). Pictures taken outside are usable, but even they are little bit soft.

Also manual focusing with older Pentax-a lenses has issues. Focusing indicator works very randomly. Often it doesn't react at all. E-dial isn't reliable. Values jump around occassionally. Battery doesn't last as long as it should. Battery indicator is not accurate. Camera also seems to overexpose images very often.

I should have listened when I was told that Pentax has quality issues. This doesn't seem to be the first time... I have to ask, if Pentax does any kind of quality assurance or testing for their products.
02-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kostadinov Quote
I do not have an issue with the FF, it is minor thing for me and noticeable only with my DAL 18-55. I believe it is lens dependant.
I'm really so curious that you can prove this opinion with photos. Show us some pictures taken in tungsten conditions with a fast lens.

Last edited by ursamajor; 02-16-2011 at 08:56 PM.
02-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Having sold my 35mm ME I was already to buy a k-x, but reading the forums i changed my mind and thought the k-r would be better.
Now there seems to be problems with FF that I may purchase the k-x afterall. I would get it with the two lenses for about $180 less, which would allow me to get a third lens.
Still not sure.

02-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robroy Quote
I have to say that I'm very disappointed to Pentax and my K-r. My camera has very bad focusing issues (especially indoors). Pictures taken outside are usable, but even they are little bit soft.

Also manual focusing with older Pentax-a lenses has issues. Focusing indicator works very randomly. Often it doesn't react at all. E-dial isn't reliable. Values jump around occassionally. Battery doesn't last as long as it should. Battery indicator is not accurate. Camera also seems to overexpose images very often.

I should have listened when I was told that Pentax has quality issues. This doesn't seem to be the first time... I have to ask, if Pentax does any kind of quality assurance or testing for their products.
Why don't you send it in for warranty service?
02-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I couldn't be happier with my K-r. I believe I might possibly have a slight FF issue in very low-level, tungsten light (not convinced it wasn't user error, but using live view did seem to make it better, and now I don't care enough to do endless tests!), but since I use and enjoy manual focus frequently and have very few tungsten lights where I shoot indoors, it really is no big deal for me. Most of my photography is outdoor wildlife and the K-r plus kit lenses (especially the 55-300) is awesome. I have had no quality issues with any components - battery life is great, all buttons and dials work fine, my old primes work very nicely (and I find the focus indicator fairly accurate, although I don't pay much attention to it), and autofocus is fast and generally very accurate (even when dealing with difficult subjects like birds in amongst tree branches). The camera is light weight enough to carry all day even with the big lens. I personally found the default setting photos a little soft (I shoot jpeg), but a few adjustments to the sharpness setting fixed that up. I find the exposure is usually pretty good unless I am shooting at strongly backlit subjects and AWB works very well. I love the 6fps as I am often shooting moving subjects (birds, wildlife, horses, dogs). My only complaint would be that it does tend to be a bit loud, but that is a minor issue compared to the other great things about this well priced camera.

Of course, YMMV and if you go looking for problems, you will undoubtedly find them!
02-18-2011, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #22

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-r

I did have to return two defective K-r bodies for some pretty bizarre issues right out of the box, but I have to say I'm very happy with mine. Now, I should point out that we don't have any tungsten lights left in our house, so I can't comment on the front focus issue. I'm sure it's very real, but I'm finding mine sharp enough under any conditions. The compact size and light weight are a bonus.

This isn't great artwork by any means, but I love the way Pentax cameras render color, and the original file is very sharp straight out of the camera.

Attached Images

02-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
I did have to return two defective K-r bodies for some pretty bizarre issues right out of the box,
This is hardly a confidence booster for anyone ordering a new K-r.
02-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arrondee Quote
This is hardly a confidence booster for anyone ordering a new K-r.
What are the "pretty bizzarre issues"?
02-18-2011, 02:51 PM   #25

Photos: Albums
I ordered mine not too long after they were released. The first one came with a defective LCD screen so that everything displayed as a shade of sickly green, and the second one came stuck in "M" mode. That's the mode I tend to use 95% of the time, but I like to have the opportunity to change every now and then. The third one is perfect. I've never had any problems with the e-dial on any of the three, and, since we don't have any tungsten lightbulbs left in the house, if it front focuses, I'll never know it. It's a pleasure to use, and the lowlight capabilities are impressive.
02-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
My camera went out of my window. I don't want to keep the camera. Thanks for your fantastic support here. This is a truely warm place, too bad the camera has issues.

Out of Pentax.
02-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 3drives Quote
My camera went out of my window. I don't want to keep the camera. Thanks for your fantastic support here. This is a truely warm place, too bad the camera has issues.

Out of Pentax.
Feel no shame 3drives, you gave the platform a fair chance to prove itself. Of the many many options available out there, you're sure to find a brand and model camera that meets your needs without any real imposing hassles.

Best of luck in that quest.

.R.
02-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 3drives Quote
I don't want to keep the camera. Thanks for your fantastic support here.
Out of Pentax.
Although you have fought with me vehemently (like many others), I suggest you to wait and see if Pentax manage to solve the ff issue. Like I'll do it. The camera (speaking of Kr) is extraordinary and deserve a chance.
02-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
Although you have fought with me vehemently (like many others), I suggest you to wait and see if Pentax manage to solve the ff issue. Like I'll do it. The camera (speaking of Kr) is extraordinary and deserve a chance.
I never said you were wrong. In fact, I followed all tests you said.

The only thing I said was I will contact Pentax and see what they will say. They did not identify it is a problem with all cameras. How will they fix if they don't think it is batch problem?

So, I returned.