Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

New buyer concerned with K-r

I ordered K-r, it is yet to arrive to my door, so I didn't open it yet. Since the time I decided to buy K-r, I have been reading thread after thread here.

FF seems to be an issue, and that is my concern. I am concerned now before using it because once I open the box, the retailers will charge me 15% restocking fees. But, if I return it without opening, there is no restocking fees. So, I got to decide it now than later.

Now, on to my question. Is FF really that big an issue on the K-r? Please help me.

My other option to buy is the Panasonic G2/ GF2/ G10.

02-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
Forum Member

I suspect you will get lots of answers on here. Some people will indicate it is a huge issue, and complain till the cows come home.

I don't notice an issue at all, and I doubt if you had read it here, you would either (with the kit lenses). Pentax had admitted there is an issue, and they are working to resolve it through a firmware update, common with new digital cameras.

I also compared this with the Panasonic 4/3 cameras, and you simply get a lot more with this camera. I recommend a 100% buy.
02-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only noticed it with a fast lens like my A 50mm f/1.4 . Hopefully they come up with a firmware solution to fix the issue. Supposedly it is in the works.
02-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #4

if you are worried, then you better return it.
But i dont like your alternative, i think a canon t2i or a nikon 3100 are better options

02-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks All. I am with K-r for now.

Sekul,
T2i is higher priced, no go for me. D3100 is in the price range and has ~ same features but for some reason I ordered K-r.
02-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 3drives Quote
Thanks All. I am with K-r for now.

Sekul,
T2i is higher priced, no go for me. D3100 is in the price range and has ~ same features but for some reason I ordered K-r.
I was between the same 2 options: K-r or D3100... the D3100 lacked too much that the K-r ticked off for me... not least, quality of the kit lens, much faster AF and FPS, Higher res LCD screen, and bracketing.
02-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
I do not have an issue with the FF, it is minor thing for me and noticeable only with my DAL 18-55. I believe it is lens dependant.
A much bigger problem is something that developed after 35 days of usage and 5000 shots on the camera. The e-dial does not work properly and shutter release button / focus locks gives me troubles, too. I hate to send the camera to a repair facility, it will take 3-4 weeks and I do not know what they are going to return to me. I did some research and I found a repair manual on K10. They have to unsolder wires and stuff just to get inside the camera. ……I just don’t think a new camera has to be like this.
What is it going to be with 1 year of usage and 15 000 shots taken…and no warranty left?

02-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter

my k-r is great, I manual focus in tungsten, no problems.
02-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
my k-r is great, I manual focus in tungsten, no problems.

How many pictures have you taken with your camera?
02-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter

not sure several thousand. I have had no issues with my edial or buttons. That said, this is the third K-r I bought. I had bad luck with my first vendor back when the camera first came out, I got two bad copies in a row! the first a button fell off (lens release), the second wouldnt even take a photo. I returned both and bought from a new vendor with zero issues. Yes there is some FF with Tungsten but it really is an amazing camera.

If you have those issues and it is too late to send it back to the vendor I would send it to Pentax. I would also send back any pentax lenses you have with it while you were at it, so they can configure them together, which could help any BF/FF issues as well.

I do love my K-r now though. goodluck

Last edited by Deimos; 02-15-2011 at 12:04 PM.
02-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

imho... take the path of least resistance... there are still new k-x's around for very reasonable prices..... and notice that they have been relatively problem free.... a fine dslr to boot...
the k-r has some improvements, better lcd display, focus points, faster af... also some folks feel the image quality is a wee bit off from the k-x..... but not significantly so...
dave m
02-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I ordered K-r, it is yet to arrive to my door, so I didn't open it yet. Since the time I decided to buy K-r, I have been reading thread after thread here.

FF seems to be an issue, and that is my concern. I am concerned now before using it because once I open the box, the retailers will charge me 15% restocking fees. But, if I return it without opening, there is no restocking fees. So, I got to decide it now than later.

Now, on to my question. Is FF really that big an issue on the K-r? Please help me.

My other option to buy is the Panasonic G2/ GF2/ G10.
Why would you return it? Why not exchange it? The retailer couldn't charge you a restocking fee then, could they?

I guess I wouldn't be quite so worried... Unless you bought yours from a scam artist reseller.
02-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Why must decide now? Cameras are not "trialware" like software for people to make second hand by 'testing' them and then change their mind.

You will get the normal full Pentax product warranty to fall back on if you have purchased through a legitimate Pentax dealership, and, if the camera becomes genuinely faulty during its duration they will rectify any problems covered by that.

What more can anyone reasonably expect? Pentax don't deliberately make shit or peddle scams.

And there can be no restocking fee for a valid warranty service claim.

No one can make decisions on your behalf if any issue that a camera might have will be acceptable to you, or not acceptable to you.

There's been a lot of lengthy discussion topics on here spanning a long period about it (ref: Search on the right-top Menu item), countless info and viewpoints both concerned and unconcerned all given in sincerity. So prospective buyers like yourself would be better equipped to make your own mind up in a much more informed way.

All good stuff. Definitely worth reading. And if you still have anything unique that has not been covered there, please come back and fire away.

Have fun with your K-r.

.R. -- Department of Redundancy Department: Hello, Could you please repeat the question again?
02-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for reassurance. I may look bad for seeking assurance for a forum, but see reading these forums, I am scared if the camera goes bad.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Why must decide now? Cameras are not "trialware" like software for people to make second hand by 'testing' them and then change their mind.
Hypocorism, I didn't try it yet. I didn't test it, so it is good that I am asking this question now than later. Thanks.
02-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #15
Forum Member

3Drives, ask yourself this: What kind of photography do you do? If your answer is "mostly indoor, low light situations", than I strongly recommend youPASS on the K-r for the time being. If you shoot mainly outdoors, then I dare say that you will be delighted with the K-r. It truly and sincerely is a fantastic camera. Take a look at the "Best Pictures by Newbbies with the K-r" thread to see some very nice examples of outdoor/manual exposure photos. You will not have a problem with the K-r in the streets or in the woods and you will be quite proud of your results when you get home.

If you shoot predominantly indoors and plan to use a fast lens, please save yourself the grief. I am one of those photographers who shoots 95% indoors and I very much have the front focus problem. In my particular situation, if I had it to do all over again here's what I'd do: I would buy a used K-x. I'd wait for the K-r FF issue to be resolved, then I'd resell the K-x for more or less what I had invested in it and use the proceeds toward buying a new K-r.