Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

RAW support for K-r (and K-5) now available on Macs

The latest software update from Apple includes RAW support for the K-r and K-5 to Aperture and iPhoto. Available through the software update application or at Apple - Support - Downloads

02-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure Apple products support raw for every Pentax camera that will be made for the foreseeable future if you just shoot DNG. There's no reason not to.
02-17-2011, 12:35 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
True (though I did have issues opening K-r DNG files in iPhoto at one stage. The main advantage as far as I can see is that in Aperture (after reprocessing for existing images) the de-noise slider becomes available in RAW fine-tuning.

I'm not sure what the implications are for reprocessing images you've already adjusted, however. Will have to investigate that.
02-17-2011, 04:46 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just a note on this. I've been playing in Aperture tonight after this update. Reprocessing images does make quite a big difference to the way the 'raw' RAW images look on screen. They are much flatter and actually more like I expected them to look. However, the end result, even after application of just an auto-curves or auto-levels adjustment, is better than it was before.

I have only mass-reprocessed unadjusted images so far. Reprocessing images that have already been adjusted also changes the existing versions and they do also look quite different initially. There is an option to preserve the existing version and create a new one on reprocessing which is probably the way to go here.

But to reiterate: the end result of all this is positive, and the de-noise on higher ISO images actually looks like it works pretty well.

02-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmm. I wonder if Aperture will stop crashing now.
02-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow. It's even worse. Now all the RAWs have a violet cast to them.
02-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sticking with Lightroom here. Aperture is as slow as a wet week.

02-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Sticking with Lightroom here. Aperture is as slow as a wet week.
Not if you have 8GB of RAM.
02-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
Hmm. I wonder if Aperture will stop crashing now.
Wow. It's even worse. Now all the RAWs have a violet cast to them.
There must be something wrong with your installation because Aperture hasn't crashed on me since 3.0. Even before I upgraded to 8GB of RAM.
02-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There must be something wrong with your installation because Aperture hasn't crashed on me since 3.0. Even before I upgraded to 8GB of RAM.
Likewise. Aperture hasn't crashed on me once in the last 12 months; okay, maybe just once. And most of that has been with 4GB of memory, though it is better with 8GB.

There is a cast on the unadjusted RAW files now, but as I say, one click adjustment to levels or curves fixes that in a flash, and I think the end results are better. For the future I'll just set up a preset to auto apply RGB curves adjust on import and all will be well.
02-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm still on RAW 3.0 because every release since that one destroys (huge colour cast erorrs that aren't recoverable) high ISO DNGs from my K-x.

As much as I love Aperture, Apples RAW compatability software stinks
02-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I'm still on RAW 3.0 because every release since that one destroys (huge colour cast erorrs that aren't recoverable) high ISO DNGs from my K-x.

As much as I love Aperture, Apples RAW compatability software stinks
Yep. The first release worked fine, then it just kept getting worse. I had 4 GB so memory should be no excuse. Any photo editor that needs 8 GB to run smoothly has some serious programing flaws.
02-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yep. The first release worked fine, then it just kept getting worse. I had 4 GB so memory should be no excuse. Any photo editor that needs 8 GB to run smoothly has some serious programing flaws.
Memory inflation, get use to it. 8GB is minimum now.
02-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Why is it that all these forum threads seem to go negative? What's the point of posting about Aperture if you don't use it? Personally I don't give a toss what software anyone chooses to use – all I'm interested in is how to use my software better.

Anyone with a positive or helpful comment?

I, for one, love Aperture: it does all I want, smoothly, quickly and without crashing. And I'm not running a super-high end machine.
02-18-2011, 03:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djb21au Quote
Why is it that all these forum threads seem to go negative? What's the point of posting about Aperture if you don't use it? Personally I don't give a toss what software anyone chooses to use – all I'm interested in is how to use my software better.

Anyone with a positive or helpful comment?

I, for one, love Aperture: it does all I want, smoothly, quickly and without crashing. And I'm not running a super-high end machine.
Well that's great for you, but those of us who also love Apple products, and have been faithful customers for many years have all the right to complain when one of their products fail to live up to expectations. I was a huge Aperture fan - release 3 was groundbreaking. However, it seems to become less and less stable with each subsequent release. Maybe not for everyone, but for some.