Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #61
Banned

In this situation, I believe that a support of the staff of the forum would be very appropriate. Maybe their confirmation/denial would clarify this point of view.

02-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #62

QuoteOriginally posted by karelson Quote
Are those of you, who work only in manual mode and manual focus, having any problems of any kind?

I am thinking to buy the K-R.
If you shoot indoors, don't buy it before it's confirmed that there will be a fix to af problems. Manual focusing at least with focus indicator is also inaccurate. Optical viewfinder is quite small for manual focusing as well.

Unfortunately, live view and contrast based focusing is also lot worse than in my old Canon compact camera. Pentax can't often focus at all when Canon has no problems. One would think DSLR to have superior af performance, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. When focusing succeeds, image quality is naturally far superior in Pentax.
02-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #63

If the FF issue is not resolved, although from some time I am sure it will be based on clues and rumors, I will definitely sell my K-R along with my four DA limited lenses.
02-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by alffastar Quote
If the FF issue is not resolved, although from some time I am sure it will be based on clues and rumors, I will definitely sell my K-R along with my four DA limited lenses.
I am sure they will resolve the issue.

However, if you are selling, please offer them to me by pm. I am from Skopje and I can arrange something when someone goes to Sofia.

02-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #65
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robroy Quote
If you shoot indoors, don't buy it before it's confirmed that there will be a fix to af problems. Manual focusing at least with focus indicator is also inaccurate. Optical viewfinder is quite small for manual focusing as well.

Unfortunately, live view and contrast based focusing is also lot worse than in my old Canon compact camera. Pentax can't often focus at all when Canon has no problems. One would think DSLR to have superior af performance, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. When focusing succeeds, image quality is naturally far superior in Pentax.
I expressed the same on live view before, but some guy said I was wrong. It seems some fake posters on this forum are deliberately misleading innocent people.
02-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #66

Live view is still relatively new to DSLRs. Plus the mirror blocking the sensor doesn't really help, but that's how DSLRs are. That said, from what I read the K-r and K-5 are the fastest in the current crop in this regard.
02-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #67

I received my K-r on Fri, 25 Feb. The first shot out of the box was taken using AF in tungsten light and was severely front focussed. I spent all weekend tweeking to try to gain improved results with AF in tungsten but to no avail.

Typical results: focussing on a subject ~ 5 ft away, the image showed heavy blur at the subject with sharp focus approx. 2 ft in front of subject! This with kit lens at 18mm, f/3.5, 1/40 sec, +0.3ev, iso 1600. Focus was spot on the subject for same exposure using LV. Multiple controlled tests were performed with similar results.

Needless to say the K-r is packed up and on its way back.

03-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This whole K-R focus issue has left me very disappointed. This was supposed to be a dual use camera - Me and Wifey. But with the focus and flash in auto mode problems, Wifey won't use it now because it takes crap pictures in auto mode. She refuses to mess around with manual mode flash pictures and I can't blame her - the camera should be able to take a flash picture in auto, but it doesn't. Don't know what to do. I want to keep it, but....
03-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #69
Forum Member

Absolutely keeping mine. About 5000 images on and maybe 20 affected by FF. Love the camera.
03-07-2011, 03:03 AM   #70
Banned

Pentax would be happy by reading your post.
03-07-2011, 03:52 AM   #71
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
flash in auto mode problems, Wifey won't use it now because it takes crap pictures in auto mode. ..... - the camera should be able to take a flash picture in auto, but it doesn't.
What is your issue with flash/auto? Don't think I have come across this before?

I'm keeping my K-r: generally very happy with it. I mostly use it outdoors: the few times I am inside in tungsten light I either use LV or deliberately focus somewhat behind the subject. I love the low light performance.
03-07-2011, 05:02 AM   #72
Veteran Member

I've read in a few different threads, most times someone mentions they just purchased the K-r that the FF problems are always brought up, sometimes I feel it is done purposely to provoke buyer's remorse in many people. I think this is just wrong. On the other hand I can also appreciate that this issue should be fixed by Pentax as it does affect a lot people. Having many have said that, there are ways of getting around the problem (albeit at the cost of battery life when using live view) or using MF.

So yes the answer is that I am keeping it despite the FF issue

Although if there is one thing I'm disappointed with is that the camera is suppose to have very good high iso performance, but I find it quite noisy (without PP), maybe compared to other cameras it is not, but I have not owned or have access to any other camera to compare it with.

I would also like to know what the flash issues are that gp1806 mentioned.

Last edited by Verglace; 03-25-2011 at 04:30 PM.
03-07-2011, 05:44 AM   #73
Banned

The FF issue of Safox9 is documented now. It's not someone's stereotip.

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
...but I have not owned or have access to any other camera to compare it with.
This is true and valid for the AF comparison too. You and many, many others (to whom Kr is the first dSLR) will not know ever what a good dSLR means. So, IMHO, you cannot issue pertinent opinions concerning the AF system of Kr.
03-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rfg Quote
What is your issue with flash/auto? Don't think I have come across this before?

I'm keeping my K-r: generally very happy with it. I mostly use it outdoors: the few times I am inside in tungsten light I either use LV or deliberately focus somewhat behind the subject. I love the low light performance.
At Christmas time when the family was visiting, the wife tried to take AutoPict flash pictures in our living room at night with the kit lens and pop up flash. The light came from table lamps. The K-R chose 'night scene with flash' every time. That resulted in exposing for the back ground and firing the flash, very long exposures causing blur from camera shake ( even with SR ) and subject blur as well. The tungsten light FF would only add to the mess, but who could tell.
03-07-2011, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
The FF issue of Safox9 is documented now. It's not someone's stereotip.

This is true and valid for the AF comparison too. You and many, many others (to whom Kr is the first dSLR) will not know ever what a good dSLR means. So, IMHO, you cannot issue pertinent opinions concerning the AF system of Kr.
Do you know what? I just registered here to post one reply to you!

I've been following this forum a little while, mainly because both the K-5 (and K-R) are on my shortlist.

I have to say, you pop up in almost every thread and its just .... negative, negative ... you get the jist I think. You single handedly could probably convince people not to invest in this brand.

You said your peace (over and over and over again), dont you think it's enough? I do apologize and try not to make this sound too personal but have you really got nothing better to do? - If you need any ideas, perhaps snap a few pictures in a mode the camera can do ... much more informative, believe me.

Well, I guess some folks just live sad lifes.

There you go, got nothing else to contribute here but you should be barred, as simple as that. Just get your canon and be at peace.

To all others, there are some very good, informative and helpful forums out there, just look for them if you are totally fed up with all the negativity on here.

Regards

Ro