Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #1

Are you keeping your KR despite FF Issue?

Well FF issue is now well documented with a speculation that Pentax may soon fix it through firmware. So I also got an K-R from B&H and have FF issue under yellow light and thinking whether I should return it for refund or send it to Pentax under warantee or hold it with a hope of a solution. I already got RMA and printing label but feeling too sad to ship it out.

I know, only I can take that call, but would like to know what other K-R owners doing with their K-Rs.

02-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sagar Quote
Well FF issue is now well documented with a speculation that Pentax may soon fix it through firmware. So I also got an K-R from B&H and have FF issue under yellow light and thinking whether I should return it for refund or send it to Pentax under warantee or hold it with a hope of a solution. I already got RMA and printing label but feeling too sad to ship it out.

I know, only I can take that call, but would like to know what other K-R owners doing with their K-Rs.
Keeping mine, I bought a 2 year extended warranty from B&H, and if they haven't fixed the FF within the next 8-14 months, I will send it in to be calibrated.

I have to say, it seems this is a common problem on lots of new DSLRs. See threads on DP Review re: D7000, and 7D.
02-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I consider it pretty normal, like mp29k says many other dslrs have issues like this. if we ever get a fix that would be great

You can always manual focus in tungsten/very low light thats what I do. The k-r is excellent otherwise
02-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #4

Keeping mine awaiting a FW fix. Managing rather well with -10 AF calibration (using kit lens).

02-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrHungry Quote
Keeping mine awaiting a FW fix. Managing rather well with -10 AF calibration (using kit lens).
I haven't touched the AF calibration... do you use it only in tungsten light, and just shut it off in the menu when you shoot outdoors or under flourescents?

I am interested in work arounds that folks are using, rather than automatically giving up on the camera and focusing on all that it doesn't do perfectly... it is gobs better than my P&S I replaced, and also much better than most dSLRs I could buy 3 years ago for this price (even with it's minor issues)
02-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Keeping mine. I hardly ever shoot in tungsten light but when I do -10 adjustment corrects the problem. If i didn't keep this one I would be looking at the Nikon D7000 which costs more and from what I hear has its own problems.
02-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
Forum Member

Sagar,

In the eyes of those who say there is FF problem, remember they say it is only apparent in tungsten light when you use only tungsten WB only (not auto wb) and that too only in viewfinder mode.

So, even in Tungsten light, if you use Auto WB viewfinder or tungsten WB live view or auto WB live view, you are fine - no FF.

Would I return my camera for such a tiny problem? So far in my tests, I figured there is no problem.

02-18-2011, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #8

The problem with this thread is pretty soon someone will be labelled as fanboy/apologists, like other threads of this nature.

Fanboy --- Apologist | Whiner --- Troll

See that? And notice the thin line separating the groups? Unfortunately no seems to be allowed their own opinions anymore, and everyone's taking a double dose of superiority complex pills.

Sorry for the rant, but Pentax's issues seems to be causing all these 'conflict'.

I'm holding on to my K-r though.
02-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have no issues with my KR.

None.
02-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #10
Forum Member

Keeping it, waiting for hopefully a FW update and if not sending it in for service. Probably will get a split-prism focus screen soon after, and at some point I'll pick up a flash.
02-19-2011, 12:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
The problem with this thread is pretty soon someone will be labelled as fanboy/apologists, like other threads of this nature.

Fanboy --- Apologist | Whiner --- Troll

See that? And notice the thin line separating the groups? Unfortunately no seems to be allowed their own opinions anymore, and everyone's taking a double dose of superiority complex pills.

Sorry for the rant, but Pentax's issues seems to be causing all these 'conflict'.

I'm holding on to my K-r though.
An objective view of price point and what is available on the market might be a start. If you are not a fanboy or a troll, you would probably point out all brands that have this issue. Quite a few. Would you substitute your Kr for another brand wiht the same issue?
02-19-2011, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am absolutely keeping mine and have no plans to send it in for service or calibration. I rarely shoot in low tungsten lighting and for those few times can easily deal with the situation via manual or live view focusing or WB adjustment so it is a truly insignificant issue for me. In every way that matters to me, the K-r has exceeded my expectations and was exceptional value for money. I have never owned a Pentax before, so am certainly not a "fanboy" (which would be hard anyway, since I am a girl!), but I have used a few Nikons and they also have their issues. If you look hard enough, you will find a "problem" with every camera - the real question is whether it is significant to you for the kind of photography you do. The minor FF issue with the K-r is not in any way significant for me, an outdoor wildlife/bird/macro photographer. I would not substitute my K-r for another brand with the same issue because I can't find another, similarly priced, camera with the features that are important to me and are all packaged into the K-r.
02-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
An objective view of price point and what is available on the market might be a start. If you are not a fanboy or a troll, you would probably point out all brands that have this issue. Quite a few. Would you substitute your Kr for another brand wiht the same issue?
I'm just saying that the line can be thicker.

I know the problem, and is specially more for the K-5, which has the secondary light sensor supposed to handle this.

I'm still holding on to my K-r. I guess that makes me an apologist. (A fanboy won't admit there's a problem)

Maybe I should start a poll who belongs where
02-19-2011, 01:34 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I'm keeping mine. Haven't looked for sensor or FF problems. Miles better than my 200D and it takes pictures. Thats all I care about.
If I strike a problem , I will make adjustments.
02-19-2011, 02:22 AM   #15

I replaced my first K-r as Pentax's tech line in the UK are saying it only affects individual units, so I thought I'd try a second one. Second one also had the same problem. Given my intended use and the fact that I live in a dark-ish house, the FF is more of an issue for me than some. So I returned the second one and got a refund. My plan is now to wait for a month and see if a fix emerges. If one does, I'll be first in line for the K-r. If not, then I'll reassess. I may opt to buy the K-r again knowing about the limitation or I may buy something else. I don't know yet. I am not a fanboy (although the first camera my grandparents gave me as a kid was a Pentax), so I'm not tied to the brand (although I do have access to some old lenses which would save some cost in terms of building up a collection). As far as I can tell though, no other camera in the market at this price point matches the K-r for the other things that are important to me (the K-x, D3100 and 550D all have other shortcomings which may or may not be more significant to me than the FF). So I'm waiting and seeing (effectively resetting the clock to a month ago before I bought the K-r).