Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2011, 03:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Matso Quote
I replaced my first K-r as Pentax's tech line in the UK are saying it only affects individual units, so I thought I'd try a second one. Second one also had the same problem. Given my intended use and the fact that I live in a dark-ish house, the FF is more of an issue for me than some. So I returned the second one and got a refund. My plan is now to wait for a month and see if a fix emerges. If one does, I'll be first in line for the K-r. If not, then I'll reassess. I may opt to buy the K-r again knowing about the limitation or I may buy something else. I don't know yet. I am not a fanboy (although the first camera my grandparents gave me as a kid was a Pentax), so I'm not tied to the brand (although I do have access to some old lenses which would save some cost in terms of building up a collection). As far as I can tell though, no other camera in the market at this price point matches the K-r for the other things that are important to me (the K-x, D3100 and 550D all have other shortcomings which may or may not be more significant to me than the FF). So I'm waiting and seeing (effectively resetting the clock to a month ago before I bought the K-r).
what a load of waffle about nothing, so one setting apparently has a focus problem, so don't use it, use another mode that does not cause a "problem" and correct the white balance with your software of choice.
Or use raw and adjust again in software or , god forbid use your hand and eye and manual focus if this one mode is faulty.
I live in a pokey, dingy flat where the lights are on pretty much all the time and use my K-r on full wb auto and correct the slight light discolouration caused by tungsten by software.

02-19-2011, 03:15 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote
I haven't touched the AF calibration... do you use it only in tungsten light, and just shut it off in the menu when you shoot outdoors or under flourescents?

I am interested in work arounds that folks are using, rather than automatically giving up on the camera and focusing on all that it doesn't do perfectly... it is gobs better than my P&S I replaced, and also much better than most dSLRs I could buy 3 years ago for this price (even with it's minor issues)
I switch off the calibration (and tungsten WB) when I shoot outdoors. Without the calibration and with AWB I get worse results than my girlfriend gets with her phone camera.

Except for the FF issue (which is major though) I'm very fond of the K-r.

QuoteOriginally posted by 3drives Quote
Sagar,

In the eyes of those who say there is FF problem, remember they say it is only apparent in tungsten light when you use only tungsten WB only (not auto wb) and that too only in viewfinder mode.

So, even in Tungsten light, if you use Auto WB viewfinder or tungsten WB live view or auto WB live view, you are fine - no FF.

Would I return my camera for such a tiny problem? So far in my tests, I figured there is no problem.
Not sure where you've gotten this from. When I shoot in tungsten (no matter the dimness) focus is way off with AWB, it is a tiny weeny bit better with tungsten WB. When I shoot with the kit lens and flash at f/3.5 without any autofocus calibration, my results look like this (pics below are not my pics though):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/133556-what-%25%24-%2A-no-1-a.html

I would definetly not call this a "tiny problem".

Regards,
Chris
02-19-2011, 04:50 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by 3drives Quote
Sagar,

In the eyes of those who say there is FF problem, remember they say it is only apparent in tungsten light when you use only tungsten WB only (not auto wb) and that too only in viewfinder mode.

So, even in Tungsten light, if you use Auto WB viewfinder or tungsten WB live view or auto WB live view, you are fine - no FF.

Would I return my camera for such a tiny problem? So far in my tests, I figured there is no problem.
Same for me. I can't see any reason to make me return my preeeecioouuusss
02-19-2011, 06:06 AM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by leheath8 Quote
I am absolutely keeping mine and have no plans to send it in for service or calibration. I rarely shoot in low tungsten lighting and for those few times can easily deal with the situation via manual or live view focusing or WB adjustment so it is a truly insignificant issue for me. In every way that matters to me, the K-r has exceeded my expectations and was exceptional value for money. I have never owned a Pentax before, so am certainly not a "fanboy" (which would be hard anyway, since I am a girl!), but I have used a few Nikons and they also have their issues. If you look hard enough, you will find a "problem" with every camera - the real question is whether it is significant to you for the kind of photography you do. The minor FF issue with the K-r is not in any way significant for me, an outdoor wildlife/bird/macro photographer. I would not substitute my K-r for another brand with the same issue because I can't find another, similarly priced, camera with the features that are important to me and are all packaged into the K-r.
+1. Well said.

Much more significant is the fact that you cannot release a bracket with a remote. That's either stupid or petty. I cannot make up my mind.

woof!

02-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #20

I am definitely keeping my k-r for the time being. I shoot manual focus m42 lenses and the kit lens. I am planning to sell the kit lens and buy FA50 1.4 and DA16-45 which I think is a bargain for 200 euros in a local store. I will check if the tungsten front focus is more evident then, which I doubt. I am an optimist and I think there will be a new firmware. Does this make a fan boy or apologist , because I had a nikon d40 before I bought the k-r?
02-19-2011, 06:54 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrHungry Quote
I switch off the calibration (and tungsten WB) when I shoot outdoors. Without the calibration and with AWB I get worse results than my girlfriend gets with her phone camera.

Except for the FF issue (which is major though) I'm very fond of the K-r.

Not sure where you've gotten this from. When I shoot in tungsten (no matter the dimness) focus is way off with AWB, it is a tiny weeny bit better with tungsten WB. When I shoot with the kit lens and flash at f/3.5 without any autofocus calibration, my results look like this (pics below are not my pics though):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/133556-what-%25%24-%2A-no-1-a.html

I would definetly not call this a "tiny problem".

Regards,
Chris
Ok, I did the test with AWB in tungsten light and posted the results. FF issue is confirmed.

Either way, I think it is a tiny problem. But, I will complain to my retailer and pentax so that the issue should be resolved so that they need to know there is a problem and they should be working on resolving it.

Will I return the camera? Likely not!
02-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #22
Banned

I already returned my Kr four weeks ago. Pentax's dealer said will replace my camera. Two days ago they received a new lot of cameras (Kr, of course) and they done some tests. All cameras has FF on tungsten. Obviously, I asked my money back.
If Pentax will solve the issue in a month, I'll re-buy the camera. Otherwise, I'll wait for decreasing the price of Canon 550D and I'll buy one.
For me, a 2010 camera must focuses perfectly, no matter of light colour and conditions/intensity, considering the low light specifications of the camera and its high ISO capabilities.
If I want to play with manual focus, I take my old russian SLR. For me, manual focus is not an argument to keep the camera.

PS: for now, I see that Pentax don't hurry with a fix firmware.
There are three posibilities:
1. they don't agreed with us concerning the ff issue (nothing official until now) and they don't work to a fix,
2. they work to a fix, but the problem is too complicated (if there are good cameras too, without ff issue - personally, I doubt it),
3. they found that the problem is without solving, because of hardware.
Paradoxically, I believe the truth includes all the posibilities.

Last edited by ursamajor; 02-19-2011 at 09:02 AM.
02-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #23
Veteran Member

The front-focus issues in tungsten lighting are not minor, bud. I find this assertion quite insulting.

I have both a K10D and K20D. Both cameras whipped the K-r in regards to focusing in tungsten lighting. And these cameras are hardly cutting-edge.

QuoteOriginally posted by leheath8 Quote
I am absolutely keeping mine and have no plans to send it in for service or calibration. I rarely shoot in low tungsten lighting and for those few times can easily deal with the situation via manual or live view focusing or WB adjustment so it is a truly insignificant issue for me. In every way that matters to me, the K-r has exceeded my expectations and was exceptional value for money. I have never owned a Pentax before, so am certainly not a "fanboy" (which would be hard anyway, since I am a girl!), but I have used a few Nikons and they also have their issues. If you look hard enough, you will find a "problem" with every camera - the real question is whether it is significant to you for the kind of photography you do. The minor FF issue with the K-r is not in any way significant for me, an outdoor wildlife/bird/macro photographer. I would not substitute my K-r for another brand with the same issue because I can't find another, similarly priced, camera with the features that are important to me and are all packaged into the K-r.
02-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Perfection isn't realistic, bud. Performance that at least compares to older Pentax models is.

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
For me, a 2010 camera must focuses perfectly,
02-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #25
Banned

My friend, let me have my opinion. I understand yours. I didn't have a Pentax before, only a Canon 350D, an old camera (according to the standards). I never had focus problems, no matter light conditions. Even my compact Fujifilm F40FD focuses perfectly in low light or tungsten.

EDIT: I just wrote a message to Pentax Germany and I'm curious what kind of answer I'll receive...

Shortly: After years of Canon, I bought a Pentax Kr few weeks ago. I returned my Pentax Kr (my first Pentax dSLR) to Focus94, the Pentax's dealer in Romania. I asked my money back because the camera (not only mine) has problems in tungsten light, precisely, SEVERE front focus. I read some emails received from Pentax by the users of Pentaxforums. The official statement from emails or support chats didn't convince me. So, by this request, I ask you a clarification concerning the front focus issue and its solution. Do Pentax work on this? When will be released a new firmware and if it will solve the issue?
I say you that I give a chance to Pentax (maximum one month) to solve the issue (then I'll re-buy a Kr), before my decision to buy a Canon 550D. Your message will make me decide between waiting or else.

Please, check the discussions on the Pentaxforums> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/ You'll be stunned.

Obviously, I don't expect that my penultimate sentence disturb them... but it's good for they to know.

Last edited by ursamajor; 02-19-2011 at 09:47 AM.
02-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #26

I'm keeping mine, never considered returning it. I, like others just use manual focus.
02-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Manual focus with the stock focus screen is a bitch. Do you plan on changing it?

QuoteOriginally posted by riley9 Quote
I'm keeping mine, never considered returning it. I, like others just use manual focus.
02-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
The front-focus issues in tungsten lighting are not minor, bud. I find this assertion quite insulting.

I have both a K10D and K20D. Both cameras whipped the K-r in regards to focusing in tungsten lighting. And these cameras are hardly cutting-edge.
One question to you and everyone, a strong one:

Every DSLR camera should focus perfectly, right? But, every DSLR camera (irrespective of brand) has a built-in fine focus adjustment setting, right? If every DSLR was made to be focussing to perfection (like some think), why do they include this focus adjustment feature in every DSLR? Think about it.

Which means every brand knows that focussing is not perfect to the T, that is why they include adjustment so that the user can adjust focussing under certain conditions.

Ofcourse, our Pentax K-r is exceeding that "slight" adjustment a tad more, but not by humongous proportions as some are saying.

So, why the outcry? So, shall we ask Pentax and every DSLR to make DSLRs perfect + plus remove the focus adjustment feature. Sure. We should reserve that advancement for future where everything is perfect. Let us leave the R & D to Pentax so they will try to sort this out and move on here with making small adjustments here.

I will report to my retailer and Pentax and move on. Meanwhile, I will use the -10 focus adjustment. We are lucky to have this adjustment on this good camera working.
02-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #29
Banned

The adjustement is not to correct FF in tungsten, but for imperfections of the body-lens ensemble. Other brands have more adjustement settings, for more than one lens.
Let's not jump to wrong conclusions.
02-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
The adjustement is not to correct FF in tungsten, but for imperfections of the body-lens ensemble.
Did any brand tell you why they are including the focus adjustment feature? You are just assuming that it is for body-lens ensemble because you may have experienced it with some camera. No camera mentions the reason why they are including the focus adjustment feature.

In some cases, it is the lens ensemble; In some cases, like here, it is tungsten. That is also when it becomes apparent and make a big issue. When they make digital cameras, they expect slight issues in different conditions and combinations. For user satisfaction, they include the adjustment.

Moreover, some users reported that there was FF issue on K-r with only one of their lens, not all. So, why are you assuming this is a camera problem?