Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
Manual focus with the stock focus screen is a bitch. Do you plan on changing it?

No, I haven't had any problems/difficulty with manual focus.

02-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #32
Banned

3drives, I believe you don't understood me. You need to informe you better.
The fine tuning AF is usefull ONLY for small imperfections of body-lens ensemble. If the ensemble has problems only in one type of light, adjusting the AF for this light, will decalibrate the AF in other types of light. On the other hand, the tungsten FF of Kr is too severe to be corrected with AF fine tuning.
02-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #33
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
3drives, I believe you don't understood me. You need to informe you better.
The fine tuning AF is usefull ONLY for small imperfections of body-lens ensemble.
Who (camera brand) said it is only useful only for body-lens? It may be useful for body-lens combos, but who said it is the only instance where focus adjustment is useful.

QuoteQuote:
On the other hand, the tungsten FF of Kr is too severe to be corrected with AF fine tuning.
'

I was able to adjust with fine tuning to - 7 to -10. My K-r does focus accurately with fine tuning.
02-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #34
Banned

Like I already said, you must informe you before.
The camera who cannot manage different types of light MUST be equipped with an aditional sensor for light colour and not with focus adjustement. Can you understand that the FF is too big to be corrected? So, the adjustement wasn't intended for FF/BF issues under a type of light (or another).
The K5 has a + sensor, but the camera still suffers of FF. So it's logical to think to a problem of the AF system (the new Safox9). Maybe they insisted on the speed, but not on the accuracy... Soon we will found it.

02-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #35
Forum Member

Can you understand that the FF is too big to be corrected?
I was able to adjust mine. So, no further issues here. I have to disagree with you and move on.

I will meet you in other threads, but for this thread, I am done. Thank you.
02-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #36
Banned

Your tests were at least... strange. I didn't see no one picture taken under AWB. I'm not so sure if you took the other pictures under tungsten light.
Like I said on other thread, we change opinions just because we want just to found the truth, not to convince ourselves how good is the camera, even it's not so.
02-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #37
Veteran Member

un-subscribed

02-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
what a load of waffle about nothing, so one setting apparently has a focus problem, so don't use it, use another mode that does not cause a "problem" and correct the white balance with your software of choice.
Or use raw and adjust again in software or , god forbid use your hand and eye and manual focus if this one mode is faulty.
I live in a pokey, dingy flat where the lights are on pretty much all the time and use my K-r on full wb auto and correct the slight light discolouration caused by tungsten by software.
Thanks for your kind words. Not sure what discolouration or raw adjustments have to do with FF though. As for manual focus, the combination of my eyesight, that viewfinder and being indoors mean this isn't terribly reliable either.
02-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
The front-focus issues in tungsten lighting are not minor, bud. I find this assertion quite insulting.

I have both a K10D and K20D. Both cameras whipped the K-r in regards to focusing in tungsten lighting. And these cameras are hardly cutting-edge.
Perhaps you missed the part where I specified that the FF issues were minor and insignificant FOR ME? I am sorry if it is a big problem for you. I just wonder why people seem to be expecting a budget priced camera to be perfect in every respect? I assume you bought the K-r, despite having the K10D and K20D, because it had some features or qualities that you desired that the other two didn't. Obviously, for you, the FF issue is a drawback that must be weighed against the benefits when deciding whether the K-r is a good camera for you.

I also have no problems manually focusing with the stock focus screen, but if that doesn't work well for some, then using the live view seems to be a good alternative that is apparently free of FF issues in low-level tungsten light (or any other kind of light).
02-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #40

I'm keeping my KR .. no reason to throw it away or use my 5D instead..
ff or bf is only a problem if you dont know what the eff is goin on with your picture. and since i know exactly whats goin on i simply switch the af location.
( usually i focus to the model's feet instead of face )
02-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #41
Banned

Then you'll need to focus between their feet, in order to obtain a corect focus on the feet.
Or maybe you focus on the feet to have a good focus on the faces...
02-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #42

It seems to me that this issue is quite subjective and not affecting ALL K-r in the same way. Some (most?) people solved this with af fine tuning, some people didn't, some people (like me) have no issues at all.
I think this lack of consinstency and uniform repeatability in the phenomenon is bond to mechanical tolerances in the manifacturing process.
Pentax will probably fix this by a firmware update. Until then, send your k-r to them... or just use LV to focus.. I still don't see any good reason to send this lovely camera back to the shop

imho

Last edited by _lyan_; 02-20-2011 at 10:42 AM.
02-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #43
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 3drives Quote
Who (camera brand) said it is only useful only for body-lens? It may be useful for body-lens combos, but who said it is the only instance where focus adjustment is useful.
The guy who designed this focus calibration chart seems to think so:
News: Adjusting DSLR lens focus: Michael Tapes delivers LensAlign II - Open Photography Forums

Same with this guy, whoever he is:
Fine Tuning Autofocus on your Nikon DSLR | Keith Slagerman Photo & Design

If the purpose was for different lighting conditions you'd think they'd make it easier to get at, like setting white balance. Plus, are we really supposed to pull out focus calibration charts for every lighting condition we might encounter?

Seems it'd be easier to allow forcing the focus assist lamp to come on.
02-20-2011, 11:57 PM   #44

Then you'll need to focus between their feet, in order to obtain a corect focus on the feet.
Or maybe you focus on the feet to have a good focus on the faces...
i focus on their feet to get proper focus on their face =)) .. been doin that last 2 months ... quite fun i guess haha ..
02-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #45

Are those of you, who work only in manual mode and manual focus, having any problems of any kind?

I am thinking to buy the K-R.