Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Memory card error

I was shooting with my K-r today when suddenly I got a "memory card error" on the screen. What did I do? I've read that formatting it may help but how do I do that?Thanks!

02-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Read page 268 in the manual.
02-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also important, what brand of card is it? And did you get it through a reputable vendor?
Lots of counterfeit cards out there if you bought it cheap, lets say, off eBay (just as an example, not that all eBay vendors are unscrupulous, nor are they the only ones that are...)
If thats the case, it is probably best to just chuck it and chalk it up to experience learned.

Lots of other reasons too, (lots of sunspot activity lately :-) ).
Could also be a camera problem... but formatting the card is a good first start.
Re-emphasizing, if it is a bargain card, you may not want to waste your effort... who knows when it will fail next even if formatting works for now.
02-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Details:
It is a transcend 8GB Class 10 card purchased from Amazon. I took pictures with it the other day, transferred to my computer no problem. I took about 5 pics today, reviewed them, took 1 more, then got the error. After I posted here, I looked in the manual (thanks for the exact page!) and reformatted my card. The 5 pics I took before the error message seemed to be on the card, but the one I took just before the error message is gone....
Point is the card "seems" to be ok now. I'll be back if I have more issues because this board is great!
Thanks!

02-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by busybee Quote
Details:
It is a transcend 8GB Class 10 card purchased from Amazon.
Notably, Transcend was a brand that went through a serious data retention type problem phase a while ago. Unfortunately yours might be of that generation.

And it might not.
PNY (class 10 marked) is another I've noted lately to tread the down hill temp phase in reliability & performance. Otoh, class 6 were good.

However... problematic flash storage devices are simply not worth living with, IMhO. So often the time, expense and hassles to properly diagnose and repair and recover data, when possible, is easily outweighed by cost of replacement.

Being a tech-head I used to spend literally hours on data recovery, gave that up as a bad joke a chose to have a life instead.

Never buy cheapies and never buy the fancy and expensive is my motto.
And Brand is not a given guarantee, aside from what the brand-conditioned might espouse.
Never chase speed, reliability and compatibility is the holy grail.

.R. -- Who can't name one hard disk brand that hasn't had its lemons.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-20-2011 at 12:30 AM.
02-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've always used Kingston cards, and they've never let me down.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Who can't name one hard disk brand that hasn't had its lemons.
A good example would be the old IBM Deskstar hard disk drives. In fact, of all the HDDs I have used, the only one that failed was a Deskstar. These failures led to a class-action lawsuit against IBM, and Hitachi ultimately acquired the IBM storage division.

--DragonLord
02-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I only use TRanscend Class 10. Not a single issue now for a year