Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #1

K-R and FA* 28-70 AL 2.8

I have sat on the DSLR sidelines way too long and am contemplating getting in with the K-r. I have a FA 50 1.4 and FA* 28-70 AL 2.8 from my prior film life.

(1) Does anyone have experience with a K-r and the FA* 28-70 AL 2.8? Good results? Can the K-r drive the power zoom? If so, does it hammer battery life and the number of photos per charge? As was the case with my ZX-5N, will the wide lens barrel obstruct the K-r's pop-up flash?

(2) Is there any reason for me to consider the K-r kit lens options, or should I just get a body and add a wide prime at some point? Any chance I would be satisfied with the kit 35 2.4 as a new normal lens, or will it be overshadowed by my existing lenses?

Thanks. If there were any brick and mortar stores stocking Pentax (Houston, TX), I would go try it for myself....

02-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bgmanne Quote
Does anyone have experience with a K-r and the FA* 28-70 AL 2.8? Good results? Can the K-r drive the power zoom? If so, does it hammer battery life and the number of photos per charge? As was the case with my ZX-5N, will the wide lens barrel obstruct the K-r's pop-up flash?
I can't speak for the K-r but I use the FA* 28-70 on my K-7 with terrific results. The power zoom works a treat and I have been surprised at the length of time I get from it before the battery wears down. I'm sure it would use a higher charge than normal zooms but I have not noticed it. I rarely use a flash so I can't comment from that point of view.

Hope that helps.
02-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've talked to Pentax technician, Power Zoom on the FA and FA* lenses are not suitable for modern day DSLRs.
Anyway, I've owned the 28-70/2.8, not a bad lens at all, pretty sharp
02-21-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
Forum Member

The lens barrel of my DA* 16-50 causes shadows with the pop-up flash depending on the zoom. Not sure how the dimensions compare.

Got away without using the flash for most of my indoor shots so far, but thinking about buying a proper one to get longer DOF when shooting candid family shots inside.

02-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
Forum Member

@gmanne

I'm in Houston and I own a K-r. If you'd like to get together sometime over the weekend and try it out first-hand, let me know. I don't know if you can get a feel for battery life, but you sure can check for shadows.
03-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #6

Original Poster
@abc,

Oops, got busy at work and failed to see your generous offer until this past week - after already ordering a K-R.

According to the manual, the combination of this lens with the pop-up flash will produce limited vignetting at 28 mm and a shooting distance of under 1 meter. For most applications it will not be an issue.

As expected, the power zoom does not function. And, it is a bit of a tight squeeze for my not very fat fingers to adjust the aperture ring. Might not be possible for someone with larger than average width fingers.
03-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bgmanne Quote
As expected, the power zoom does not function.
Power zoom works just fine with the K-7 and K-5. It is disabled on the K-x and K-r.

I used to have the FA*28-70 and the K-7 and now I have the FA*80-200 and a K-5.

Last edited by dgaies; 03-27-2011 at 05:02 PM.