Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #1

Anybody went from Nikon to K-r?

Lately been thinking of moving from D80 to K-r.
Today went to Henry's, played with K-r. Found it very difficult to change different shooting parameters, every time had to go into the menu. Not many dedicated buttons. So.... just wondering if it's only matter of a habit...
Thanks

02-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sahara888 Quote
Lately been thinking of moving from D80 to K-r.
Today went to Henry's, played with K-r. Found it very difficult to change different shooting parameters, every time had to go into the menu. Not many dedicated buttons. So.... just wondering if it's only matter of a habit...
Thanks
K-r is an entry level camera with limited external buttons/controls. D80 was a "semi-pro" or "prosumer" level camera with similar external controls to a Pentax K-5 or K-7.

Bascially you are comparing 2 different classes of camera regarding controls.
02-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #3

I moved from Nikon D700 to Pentax Kr because pentax system is smaller and lighter.
Yes, I do miss Nikon's external controls and focus system.
02-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
As a K-7 owner, I can see the appeal of the K-r's smaller and lighter body. In fact, since it solves the main gripe I had about the K-x - the omission of focus points in the viewfinder - I wondered if it could be a better camera for me. I think I would miss the external controls though. Not that I use every one of them, but some of them I do use quite frequently. And since the K-5 turned out to be an even better low-light camera, I think I might go with that in the long run.

It's really up to you to decide if you want to trade in the additional external controls or the smaller and lighter package. But I agree that the D80 compares better to a K20D/K-7/K-5 than to a K-m/K-x/K-r.

02-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #5

The other big difference is that the K-r has a pentamirror view finder while the K-7 & D80/90 have a pentaprism. This will make for a bit darker viewfinder.
02-23-2011, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

I used to have a Nikon D60 then moved to a Pentax K-r

I found the same with the menu system at first, the nikon was super easy and intuitive. That said after using the K-r for little while it is very easy to use and the menus are setup to be accessed quickly. It may slow you down a bit if you are used to lots of exterior manual controls, Ive never had them yet. But the extensive customization of settings offered with the K-r means you dont need to go into the menus much and when you do its quick

You wont regret the switch. I love Pentax now, great lens selection and ability to use old lenses, built in Anti shake for all lenses, HDR modes, bracketing, amazing High ISO etc. The K-r is awesome